• Online Today: 52
  • Online Ever: 340
  • (November 03, 2012, 08:29:45 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 29
Total: 29

RSS Feeds

Author Topic: Marine setup  (Read 1121 times)

Offline ajm83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 81
  • -Receive: 179
Re: Marine setup
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2017, 10:07:34 AM »
Don't spend big money on an external (or two!) for a reef. It'll be a waste of money. 

Just get a couple of decent powerheads e.g. jebao RW8 and a 306 or 406. You don't need big flow in the external. Just enough to keep water moving through whatever you've got in there.

You only really need to run a few things in the external:

phosphate media, e.g. seachem phosguard. Don't use Rowaphos in an external, it won't work very well.
carbon, e.g. fluval carbon or seachem purigen
optional: something to aid with nitrate, e.g. siporax, seachem matrix, biopellets
optional: floss as first stage to polish the water and prevent crud getting into the other media
The only thing to really consider is how easy it is to open up and clean, as you will need to do so very regularly to ensure it doesn't get crud trapped in it.

The skimmer does a different type of filtration. As you won't have a sump, you would probably need either an in tank model, e.g. tunze 9004. Or a hang on back model.  Skimmers are optional but most people do run them. I don't (yet).
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 10:15:04 AM by ajm83 »
Cheers, Andy.

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline marty.h

• Thank You
    • -Given: 1259
    • -Receive: 775
    « Reply #61 on: January 11, 2017, 09:28:22 PM »
    biopellets will be no good it an external filter and the mulm coming of the pellets need to be directed at intake on skimmer to be skimmed out of the water so they need to be in there own reactor and when ever you pull the filter apart it will disturb the bacteria colony on them.

Live rock is also the main biological filtration I also have biohome media in sump that's something you could run in an external.

Offline ajm83

• Thank You
    « Reply #62 on: January 12, 2017, 08:22:57 AM »
    biopellets will be no good it an external filter and the mulm coming of the pellets need to be directed at intake on skimmer to be skimmed out of the water so they need to be in there own reactor and when ever you pull the filter apart it will disturb the bacteria colony on them.

Live rock is also the main biological filtration I also have biohome media in sump that's something you could run in an external.

Sorry marty I know it's not how you're supposed to use them but I know a few people with nanos who are using them and claiming success.

The main problem is the flowrate to keep it tumbling needs guesswork as obviously you can't see inside the filter. You can get some which don't need to be fluidised (NP XL biopellets) but I don't know anyone running them so I can't comment on how good they are. 
    « Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 08:53:55 AM by ajm83 »
    Cheers, Andy.

Offline gaz1234

• Thank You
    • -Given: 1
    • -Receive: 0
    « Reply #63 on: January 16, 2017, 09:26:35 PM »
    Ok thanks.  Read a bit more.  So, could I; run a sump with heater and skimmer.  Instsll wavemaker and live rock - job done?
    Juwel Rio 125 - sold
    Clearseal 360l ready to go - marine or not...

Offline ajm83

• Thank You
    « Reply #64 on: January 17, 2017, 11:06:21 AM »
    Ok thanks.  Read a bit more.  So, could I; run a sump with heater and skimmer.  Instsll wavemaker and live rock - job done?

That's the basics, yes. But with marines, it's never "job done" !!!  *grin*

Bear in mind you'll also need to drill the tank (or fit a quality overflow) to get water down to the sump.  Drilling is a far better option.

If you decide to drill it, do some research & maybe post up another thread. It needs to be done right otherwise you get loud gurgling and the risk of flooding! Googling "bean animal overflow" will get you started on your search...
    « Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 11:10:52 AM by ajm83 »
    Cheers, Andy.

Offline gaz1234

• Thank You
    « Reply #65 on: January 17, 2017, 06:26:38 PM »
    Hi Andy
    Omg drilling!?  That's done it then.  I'll stick to tropical.  Not gonna drill the tank.
    Guess I need a marine tank then..  suggestions.
    Juwel Rio 125 - sold

Offline ajm83

• Thank You
    « Reply #66 on: January 18, 2017, 10:12:48 AM »
    Hi Andy
    Omg drilling!?  That's done it then.  I'll stick to tropical.  Not gonna drill the tank.
    Guess I need a marine tank then..  suggestions.

In order of price (and probably quality)
    ClearSeal Reefspace 900, Evolution Aqua eaReef, Red Sea Reefer 250

I think realistically you need to budget £1-2K for that kind of setup factoring the lights, skimmer etc in.

My reef tank is < £500 all in, but I just use an internal filter, powerhead & skimmer. No sump or external filter. I'd recommend a sump if you can, and my next tank will have a sump but I wasn't in a position to commit that kind of cash to it yet.
    « Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 10:16:06 AM by ajm83 »
    Cheers, Andy.

Offline Drunken horse

• Thank You
    • -Given: 308
    • -Receive: 473
    « Reply #67 on: January 18, 2017, 10:37:12 AM »

My reef tank is < £500 all in, but I just use an internal filter, powerhead & skimmer. No sump or external filter. I'd recommend a sump if you can, and my next tank will have a sump but I wasn't in a position to commit that kind of cash to it yet.
    Is there a reason for that?   I'm always impressed with what seemingly can be  done reef wise with relatively low tech tanks (internal  skimmer and some phosphate removers and zeolites etc)   but when you follow it people either end up with a disaster (normally because they mess with it too much or arent prepared for the extra work compared to tropical) or going high tech (and high price) without stock necassairly suggesting its needed.   

Though I could afford high tech  if I needed to I couldnt justify that for the types of fish and corals I'd be interested in whereas the low tech or plug and play budget set ups  seem reasonably priced.

Offline ajm83

• Thank You
    « Reply #68 on: January 18, 2017, 10:48:22 AM »

Is there a reason for that?   I'm always impressed with what seemingly can be  done reef wise with relatively low tech tanks (internal  skimmer and some phosphate removers and zeolites etc)   but when you follow it people either end up with a disaster (normally because they mess with it too much or arent prepared for the extra work compared to tropical) or going high tech (and high price) without stock necassairly suggesting its needed.   

Though I could afford high tech  if I needed to I couldnt justify that for the types of fish and corals I'd be interested in whereas the low tech or plug and play budget set ups  seem reasonably priced.

You mean reason for changing to a sumped setup?

Mainly so I can add more equipment out of sight, and also to add more water volume to help with stability.

The only disasters I've had with my budget setup have been my own fault.  Unfortunately I have also had dinos (treating currently with blackout), bryopsis, bobbit worms and vermetid snails but that could happen on any tank if you don't quarantine thoroughly enough. Pretty sure all that lot came in on the original 'premium' live rock I used.
    « Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 10:52:38 AM by ajm83 »
    Cheers, Andy.

Offline gaz1234

• Thank You
    « Reply #69 on: January 18, 2017, 01:27:12 PM »
    Thought 1k would be minimum.
    Oh well tropical it is then.
    When I get bored I'll look at a larger marine specific tank then.

Thanks for info.  I now know what I need equipment wise.
    Juwel Rio 125 - sold

Offline ajm83

• Thank You
    « Reply #70 on: January 23, 2017, 10:03:31 AM »
    Thought 1k would be minimum.
    Oh well tropical it is then.
    When I get bored I'll look at a larger marine specific tank then.

Thanks for info.  I now know what I need equipment wise.

Saw this and thought it might be relevant

http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/showthread.php?800812-Super-Sloth-amp-Reef-Monkey-s-Juwel-Rio-125-conversion

Hope it's okay to link another forum...?  *grin*
    Cheers, Andy.

Offline gaz1234

• Thank You
    « Reply #71 on: January 23, 2017, 01:40:04 PM »
    Thanks
    Nice but I've sold this one..
    Juwel Rio 125 - sold