• Total Topics: 70296
  • Online Today: 115
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 55
Total: 55

Author Topic: Day by day pics of my platy fry  (Read 3682 times)

Offline Suelo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 323
  • -Receive: 653
Re: Day by day pics of my platy fry
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2017, 10:28:05 pm »
18 days old.

Thank you all. I think they are a decent size, as its easy to feed them & know that they can get the food. Their little tail spots are coming along - it looks like the ears show up before the head.

I mentioned some posts back I think, that I'd read on the net that the Mickey Mouse markings came from two separate genes - one for the head & one for the ears. I assume that the two genes must be on the same chromosome and be linked, as they mostly tend to be inherited together?

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline Suelo

• Thank You
    « Reply #31 on: February 22, 2017, 11:34:09 pm »
    19 days old

Swimming all over the tank all the time now. It used to be difficult to count them as a few would always be hidden. Now, although they move like lightning I can count all 7 a lot of the time. I really enjoy watching them, but I am kind of relieved that were only 7 of them left when I emptied the tank. If I had GL's kind of numbers to eventually find homes for I dont know what I would do!

Anyway, no matter how hard I look, I still can't see any Mickey Mouse head splodges yet.

Offline Gingerlove05

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 1755
    • -Receive: 2172
    « Reply #32 on: February 23, 2017, 12:38:56 am »
    Lol i didn't know what i was going to do! Just very fortunate to have found the homes for them and ask the right questions to find the right sort of people.
    Give them time they're only 3 weeks old, their colour is looking good :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Suelo

• Thank You
    « Reply #33 on: February 23, 2017, 10:30:43 pm »
    20 days old

Now I can see all 7 at a time more often, I can see that there are 3 blonde coloured fry & 4 orange coloured. There are a couple that are bigger & bossier than the others - one of the blonde ones seems especially bossy.

These babies will probably be 4/5 months with me, but it's their older siblings that I'll need to look for homes for soon. There's a couple of slightly older males, and then about half a dozen that are about 4 1/2 months. These younger ones I'm just waiting for them to show what sex they are, then I'll be asking for tips on rehoming them!

Offline Gingerlove05

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #34 on: February 23, 2017, 10:53:00 pm »
    They do get a lot more confident, our little survivor is brave enough to wander around our apisto territory:/ keeping an eye on him lol
    Looking good :)
    As for tips on moving them...not sure if i could help there ;) lol

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 162
    • -Receive: 6657
    • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
    « Reply #35 on: February 24, 2017, 09:21:04 am »
    You should be able to tell whether you have males and/or females soon.
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
    I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
    Ian

Offline Suelo

• Thank You
    « Reply #36 on: February 24, 2017, 10:06:46 am »
    I'm hoping so! I have 5 juveniles that are 5/6 weeks older, and it's been very obvious for some time which sex are which. I think I read somewhere in my trawling of the net that sexual maturity is more delayed when there are more mature adults around (hormones/pheromones I guess).

Offline Suelo

• Thank You
    « Reply #37 on: February 24, 2017, 08:37:09 pm »
    21 days old

It's SOOO difficult to photograph these fry now as they just zip from one side of the tank to another. They've no fear of the guppy, & I think when I've had fry in my main tank they are pretty fearless & out & about all the time at 3 weeks.

Tomorrow, I may move these fry & the guppy into a bigger tank. I'll probably post pics a couple of times a week then, assuming I can get any in focus at all!

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 162
    • -Receive: 6657
    • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
    « Reply #38 on: February 25, 2017, 09:49:52 am »
    :)
    Nice record.
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
    I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
    Ian

Offline Suelo

• Thank You
    « Reply #39 on: March 03, 2017, 08:53:09 pm »
    28 days old

I didn't move the fry after all, & they are still in the same tank. They are still growing and now come to the glass when they see someone near, begging for food just like the grown up fish do.

The blonde fry have a darker more orange tinge to them now. I didn't think we had had any that colour before, but looking at their colour now I think that in fact we have had one survivor who I thought was a peachy colour when I first noticed her, but looks (at 4 months old) the most similar to her mum's sunset colour. There are still no signs that I can see of the Mickey Mouse head markings.

I'm wondering whether they are big enough to go in with the adult platys yet? I know the rule about being too big to swallow in one mouthful - I'm just nervous to try it.

Here are a few pics - one very blurry manages to get all 7 in at once.

Offline Gingerlove05

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #40 on: March 03, 2017, 10:11:48 pm »
    Nice they are doing well, i will try and get a pic of my tiny survivor might give you a better idea what might survive with the adults :)

Offline Suelo

• Thank You
    « Reply #41 on: March 03, 2017, 10:29:41 pm »
    Thank you, would be good to see a pic of the little one.

Offline Gingerlove05

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    Day by day pics of my platy fry
    « Reply #42 on: March 03, 2017, 10:55:16 pm »
    Got him :) or her (for now lol) its funny i've seen them chase off some of the bigger older siblings, he/she's about 10mm long

Offline Suelo

• Thank You
    « Reply #43 on: March 10, 2017, 08:34:54 pm »
    35 days old

So, 5 weeks old today. All seem to be doing well. Even though I don't think they've ever been short of food, some are bigger than others. A couple of the lighter coloured ones are really feisty & chase others at any & every opportunity. Funnily enough they're the bigger ones now.

The blonde ones are turning more orange - at the moment they look more orange at the back. I think though that from seeing previous fry grow that they will continue turning a more solid orange colour. And still no head part of the Mickey Mouse splodge is visible, its nearly 3 weeks since the ear splodges started showing.

They're still in the small tank, with my guppy. Am feeding twice a day still. Am thinking will continue feeding like this until I do move them.

Also, thanks for the pic of your little one GL. I think you can see his black tail already.

Offline Gingerlove05

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #44 on: March 10, 2017, 08:54:15 pm »
    They're looking well :)
    They are very orange, you will find some will grow faster than others. I often think of fish a bit like people, everyone is individual even if they look the same and the same species and related. Each one has their own personality.
    And my little one is a wagtail pattern, black dorsal and anal fin and tail with a blue body :) exactly like mam lol