Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 77
Total: 77

Author Topic: Help!  (Read 1853 times)

Newbie1705

Help!
« on: March 25, 2017, 03:26:16 pm »
I'm new to this 'tropical fish' game so please be gentle. I have a bio orb 30ltr tank which has been running for about 6 weeks now. We added to guppies to the tank around 2 weeks after setup. For the next 2 weeks I was battling extremely high ammonia levels. I put this down to overfeeding and had to perform a complete water change and wash all the gravel away. This obviously started my filter cycle again, is that correct? We sadly lost one of our guppies last night. Not sure if it was down to the tank water or not. This guppy had been in the water when ammonia was at its highest. My levels are significantly reduced and have attached a pic of my latest test. High Ph on the left, then ammonia, then nitrite and finally the nitrate test. I'm after any advice to be able to bring my ammonia levels down still as I know they should read zero. Or is the tank still cycling and will they come down by themselves if left? Thanks in advance.

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 162
    • -Receive: 6657
    • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
    Re: Help!
    « Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 09:27:33 am »
    Hello :)
    You still have ammonia, so you need to be doing DAILY water changes.
    The Biorb filters aren't as good as they say, and still need to be cycled before adding fish.
    If you can afford to get something like Tetra Safestart or Seachem Stability, then that will help as well with the changes.
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
    I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
    Ian

Newbie1705

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 12:09:00 pm »
    Thanks so much for your reply Plankton. Should it be around the 25% mark daily until no ammonia is present? I will definitely look into the products you mentioned. How long does a cycle take in general terms?

Offline Gingerlove05

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 1755
    • -Receive: 2172
    « Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 12:50:48 pm »
    Anywhere between 4-20weeks, cycles can vary quite a bit between tanks.
    You might want to try and do around 50% changes if possible as this will half the toxin level. If you dont use tetra safe start (which should help) then daily changes with Seachem Prime water conditioner should help detoxify the ammonia and nitrite while your fish are present.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newbie1705

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 01:05:58 pm »
    Thanks Gingerlove. I will perform a 50% water change now. I have ordered some tetra safestart and that will be delivered tomorrow. Do you add that at every waterchange or is it just a product to cycle your filter faster?

Offline Gingerlove05

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 1755
    • -Receive: 2172
    « Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 01:51:36 pm »
    TSS is a bacteria product suitable for use with small fish and it basically cycles your tank instantly. You add the required amount for your tank, follow the instructions to the letter and it should help. Its also good when adding new fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newbie1705

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 05:49:20 pm »
    That's brill. Thanks for all your help. As i said, it's arriving tomorrow so will read the instructions properly and get it in my tank! 

turtlemusketeer

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 07:02:18 pm »
    Hi Newbie :)

I'd add to these responses that washing the gravel kills the friendly bacteria that's going to destroy the ammonia in your tank. If you want to get rid of waste food and suction isn't doing it then by all means rinse, but use water treated with Aquasafe or something similar - it'll save your friendly bacteria and keep you from recycling your tank ;)

Newbie1705

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 09:37:50 pm »
    Thanks turtle! These are the tips that I need to know. Always wanted to get a tropical aquarium and now I have I realised why I put it off for so long. It's a minefield! Hopefully the tank will have cycled and be perfect soon!

Offline Deathcreeper

• Thank You
    • -Given: 23
    • -Receive: 1
    « Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 09:31:34 am »
     :21: Newbi1705

I cant recommend Seachem Prime enough!!  It really is excellent stuff, a little goes far, as well as making tap water safe it will turn ammonia into a safer form for the fish for at least 48hrs.  Allowing the good bacteria to grow and catch up.  Doing Daily 50% water changes will dilute the Ammonia, Nitrates and Nitrites by half just keep checking your water. 
    Also not feeding your fish for a couple of days will help.  (they will be fine).

I recently started keeping fish my self and this site has been really informative and a great help.
    there's a section on here to start a tank log which can be useful in keeping your tank in check.

Newbie1705

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 01:49:29 pm »
    Thanks deathkeeper. I have just had my first bottle of Tetra safestart arrive, so will be giving that a go tonight. Would you recommend I do a 50% water change tonight and then add the Tetra? Is Seachem prime live bacteria like the Tetra?

Offline Smj83

• Thank You
    • -Given: 29
    • -Receive: 18
    « Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 03:27:05 pm »
    Prime is a dechlorinator to make tapwater safe however it also makes any ammonia or nitrite in your tank safe by detoxifying it but still allowing your bacteria to complete the cycle by processing it without harming the fish. I think it detoxifys for up to 48hrs after adding.
    125l planted Juwel Rio
    1 x female betta
    2 x neon tetra
    7 x Black neon tetra
    4 x dwarf neon rainbowfish
    9 x lemon tetra
    1 x L144 lemon bristlenose pleco
    1 x lonely amano shrimp

Offline Smj83

• Thank You
    • -Given: 29
    • -Receive: 18
    « Reply #12 on: March 27, 2017, 03:28:27 pm »
    Just realised ive pretty much repeated what deathcreeper said previously but its a dechlorinator rather than bacteria.
    125l planted Juwel Rio
    1 x female betta
    2 x neon tetra
    7 x Black neon tetra
    4 x dwarf neon rainbowfish
    9 x lemon tetra
    1 x L144 lemon bristlenose pleco
    1 x lonely amano shrimp

Offline Deathcreeper

• Thank You
    • -Given: 23
    • -Receive: 1
    « Reply #13 on: March 27, 2017, 08:31:11 pm »
    I put this down to overfeeding and had to perform a complete water change and wash all the gravel away. This obviously started my filter cycle again, is that correct?

If you changed the filter at the same time as washing the gravel and a 100% water change then I would expect that yes you probably did start the cycle again.

In a basic Tank setup the water filter sucks in the tank water passing it through the filter media, this is usually a dark coloured sponge.  It is in this sponge that all the Good bacteria establishes and one type 'munches' your ammonia turning it in to nitrates and another set 'munches the nitrates and turns it into Nitrites.  When you first get your tank set up you have none of these bacteria and so have to grow them.  This can be done 2 ways the Fish in Cycle and the Fish out Cycle. 

The Fish Out Cycle is the best way but more time involved.  The Fish in Cycle is started usually by filling your tank with water and chucking some declorinator and some starter bacteria which in your case will be the Tetra Safe Start, wait a couple of days (or Not) and then fire your fish in. 

I'm not 100% sure how the biorbs fully function but from watching the videos on their website I can take an educated guess at how the bowl shaped ones operate.  from what I can see The air pump is situated in the middle and as the bubbles rise this creates a current in the bowl that flows from the top down the sides through the stones at the bottom and then through there filter medium.  Which seems to be a ceramic and sponge type mix.  (this is purely an educated guess and I could be way off the mark).  It is here that all the good bacteria will grow.  This filter medium they suggest you change every 4 weeks.  This is where I get lost because if you change the filter medium your throwing your good bacteria away so in theory your starting a mini Cycle every time you change your filter? (I think). 

Any how if you continue monitoring your water and at least for this week do a daily 50% water change adding the correct amount of Safe Start at each water change.  You can either add the safe start to your tank water or into the bucket of water.  If your adding the tap water straight into your tank and then adding the Safe Start you should add the amount for the total tank volume of 30L. 

I'm not an expert and could well be wrong or misinformed so please don't take what I've said as gospel.  I am still a novice, and I would hope that somebody with more experience will correct this post.

Dannytk

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2017, 08:40:28 pm »
    I put this down to overfeeding and had to perform a complete water change and wash all the gravel away. This obviously started my filter cycle again, is that correct?

If you changed the filter at the same time as washing the gravel and a 100% water change then I would expect that yes you probably did start the cycle again.

In a basic Tank setup the water filter sucks in the tank water passing it through the filter media, this is usually a dark coloured sponge.  It is in this sponge that all the Good bacteria establishes and one type 'munches' your ammonia turning it in to nitrates and another set 'munches the nitrates and turns it into Nitrites.  When you first get your tank set up you have none of these bacteria and so have to grow them.  This can be done 2 ways the Fish in Cycle and the Fish out Cycle. 

Im sure its ammonia > Nitrite > Nitrate
    Doing a 100% water change will upset the ballance but youll still have bacteria in filter and decorative items. I always just was the filter items in tank water ive taken out.