• Total Topics: 70296
  • Online Today: 115
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 69
Total: 69

Author Topic: My basement fish room (the build)  (Read 12952 times)

Offline Newbie fishkeeper

• Thank You
  • -Given: 624
  • -Receive: 246
Re: My basement fish room (the build)
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2017, 02:55:27 pm »
Thanks for the insight  Snow.
I do intend to have at least 3 large water storage containers down there, 1 for RO, 1 for  tap warer and 1 for mixing.
I want to store the tap water to evaporate the chlorine away and save on conditioner.

I did want drip systems in place from the mixing tank to save time but I am sure that I can find another way if you don't think dripping would be suitable.

I am hoping to have plenty of tanks down there in time so a drip system probably won't be ideal considering that different fish will want different water.

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline Pilgrim89

• Thank You
    • -Given: 217
    • -Receive: 146
    • "Be yourself, everyone else is taken" -Oscar Wilde
    « Reply #61 on: April 26, 2017, 08:39:24 pm »
    I think you will still need to condition your water. As far as I'm aware, it has metals and other elements in it that are or can be harmful to aquatic life. Most, if not all, conditioners say that they remove not only chlorine but chloramines and heavy metals from copper pipework (the two latter things cannot be removed through evaporation and thus need conditioner/treatment to remove them). A good treatment that I use, I consider it good anyway, is 'Interpet Bioactive Tapsafe Plus'; it "1) neutralises chlorine 2) breaks down chloramine 3) locks up toxic metals 4) adds Aloe Vera which protects and heals delicate skin and gills, and 5) boosts good bacteria to keep the aquarium clean and healthy" ... And I must say, I've had no problems whatsoever in the year I've used it... So far ;)
    Plus, it's only about £10-13 for a 500ml bottle that will treat 4500 litres so it's good value for money too :)
    « Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 08:41:28 pm by Pilgrim89 »
    4ft, 140L:
    14 x Pentazona Barbs
    10 x Golden Barbs
    2 x Kribensis (m&f)
    1 x Albino Rainbow Shark
    3 x Bristlenose Plecs

3ft, 60-80L:
    1 x Musk Turtle

2ft, 54L:
    8 x Glowlight Tetra
    3 x Otocinclus

3ft, 100L:
    3 x Red Hump Eartheater Cichlid (Geophagus steindachneri)
    1 x Bandit Cichlid (Guianacara stergiosi)
    10 x Bristlenose Plec Juveniles (approx 1"+)
    4 x Lemon Bristlenose Plec - 2 breeding pairs
    2 x Tiger Plec (L002) breeding pair

50L grow-out tank:
    50+? x Bristlenose Plec fry and Lemon Plec Dad from 3ft, 100L tank.

• Thank You
    « Reply #62 on: April 26, 2017, 10:40:49 pm »
    I  will use  seachem safe if I do need to condition the water. It's by far the best value conditioner I am aware of. It also  neutralizes ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.
    That interpet  stuff you speak of will cost a fortune over time with the amount of water I will use. Seachem safe  tub  for around  £10-15 treats  250,000 litres.

Offline Stevie Mancini

• Thank You
    • -Given: 191
    • -Receive: 62
    • I need more characters in my signature!
    « Reply #63 on: April 27, 2017, 07:49:35 am »
    I  will use  seachem safe if I do need to condition the water. It's by far the best value conditioner I am aware of. It also  neutralizes ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.
    That interpet  stuff you speak of will cost a fortune over time with the amount of water I will use. Seachem safe  tub  for around  £10-15 treats  250,000 litres.

Use seachem my self after it being recommended a few months back. I bought the smallest tub and I've still got loads left in it, 2 drops per gallon and as you say, it not conditions the water as well as neutralises ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

It's seems to be commonly used now.
    https://www.tropicalfishforums.co.uk/index.php/topic,237090.0.html
    6 Laetacara dorsigera
    10Hyphessobrycon sweglesi
    17 Corydoras aeneus (13 Bronze/4 Albino)
    1 Guianacara stergiosi
    6 Pimelodus pictus

• Thank You
    « Reply #64 on: April 27, 2017, 08:47:03 am »

Use seachem my self after it being recommended a few months back. I bought the smallest tub and I've still got loads left in it, 2 drops per gallon and as you say, it not conditions the water as well as neutralises ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

It's seems to be commonly used now.

Have a search on the tinternet  at seachem  "SAFE". it's the dry form of "PRIME" and is so much more cost effective.

Offline Stephen

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 147
    • -Receive: 2052
    « Reply #65 on: April 27, 2017, 09:06:12 am »
    I use Seachem Prime a 250ml bottle treats 10,000L of water, great value for money ;)

Note:
    This is taken from the Seachem website. FAQ on Seachem Safe
    Q: Can I mix Seachem Safe with water and store the solution to use later on. So instead of using the dry powder, I can use it pre-dissolved.
    A: Safe does not have the stabilizers, like Prime, to keep it stable in liquid form. We do not recommend mixing it and storing it for future use.

Thought it might be worth mentioning ;)
    Look after your fish and the water, do regular water changes & maintenance, do your research and the hobby will be rewarding.
    All the best
    Stephen

Offline Siege

• Thank You
    • -Given: 84
    • -Receive: 317
    « Reply #66 on: April 27, 2017, 09:20:10 am »
    Yes. I looked into changing to safe and saw that.

Would be a pain when you only want a couple of drops when acclimatising a fish.

Probably cost effective and easy to have both in the cupboard.
    3 X hi-tech planted tanks.

Offline vx-chris

• Thank You
    • -Given: 16
    • -Receive: 1
    « Reply #67 on: April 27, 2017, 04:11:33 pm »
    Ill be following this epic build.

Of topic slightly, where are you from? Ive been in Coalville aquatics this morning and they still have their betta setup for sale if your interested in it. He also told me that nearer the closing date (end of june I believe) the discounts will be getting bigger so maybe trying to hold off as long as you can

• Thank You
    « Reply #68 on: April 27, 2017, 05:03:14 pm »
    I use Seachem Prime a 250ml bottle treats 10,000L of water, great value for money ;)

Note:
    This is taken from the Seachem website. FAQ on Seachem Safe
    Q: Can I mix Seachem Safe with water and store the solution to use later on. So instead of using the dry powder, I can use it pre-dissolved.
    A: Safe does not have the stabilizers, like Prime, to keep it stable in liquid form. We do not recommend mixing it and storing it for future use.

Thought it might be worth mentioning ;)

Yeah the fact that you can't make a bottle for using tiny ammounts does mean that I have to have a bottle of prime handy for the small  water changes in the shrimp tank.
    The way I use  SAFE  is fill a bottle with tank water, add the quarter  teaspoon of  SAFE  and give a good shake. Then I siphon old water out the door, add the disolved  SAFE then turn the shower on with a hose to the tank. Takes  15 mins and no heavy lifting needed. It does help that my tank is  300ltr.

Ill be following this epic build.

Of topic slightly, where are you from? Ive been in Coalville aquatics this morning and they still have their betta setup for sale if your interested in it. He also told me that nearer the closing date (end of june I believe) the discounts will be getting bigger so maybe trying to hold off as long as you can

I am definitely having the betta  barracks if its still there Saturday. I am also hoping to strike a deal on several larger tanks and a big air pump for my room/tanks. I am in Loughborough btw. I will pop over at the end of may and June to see what I can get aswell. I have my eye on the RO unit but doubt that he will part with it before he closes.

Hopefully I will be able to get some nice breeding stocks aswell.

Offline Pilgrim89

• Thank You
    • -Given: 217
    • -Receive: 146
    • "Be yourself, everyone else is taken" -Oscar Wilde
    « Reply #69 on: April 27, 2017, 07:46:48 pm »
    Seachem safe  tub  for around  £10-15 treats  250,000 litres.

You know, I honestly thought I had a good deal haha .... I'm gonna go hang my head in shame in the corner now  *bye3*  roflmao .... Will definitely look into getting something else next time round but I've literally just bought a new bottle (one bottle has lasted me around 6-8 months spread over 3 tanks though so that's not that bad)
    4ft, 140L:
    14 x Pentazona Barbs
    10 x Golden Barbs
    2 x Kribensis (m&f)
    1 x Albino Rainbow Shark
    3 x Bristlenose Plecs

3ft, 60-80L:
    1 x Musk Turtle

2ft, 54L:
    8 x Glowlight Tetra
    3 x Otocinclus

3ft, 100L:
    3 x Red Hump Eartheater Cichlid (Geophagus steindachneri)
    1 x Bandit Cichlid (Guianacara stergiosi)
    10 x Bristlenose Plec Juveniles (approx 1"+)
    4 x Lemon Bristlenose Plec - 2 breeding pairs
    2 x Tiger Plec (L002) breeding pair

50L grow-out tank:
    50+? x Bristlenose Plec fry and Lemon Plec Dad from 3ft, 100L tank.

Offline Stephen

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 147
    • -Receive: 2052
    « Reply #70 on: April 27, 2017, 09:10:07 pm »

You know, I honestly thought I had a good deal haha .... I'm gonna go hang my head in shame in the corner now  *bye3*  roflmao .... Will definitely look into getting something else next time round but I've literally just bought a new bottle (one bottle has lasted me around 6-8 months spread over 3 tanks though so that's not that bad)
    I bought myself a 2ml syringe for the dosage as Seachem Prime is a concentrated dechlorinator.
    My own calculation is just 6 drops from the syringe in to 14L watering can; such a tiny amount.
    When I change 200L of water it equates to 85 drops in total which is about 5ml of Seachem Prime.
    I bought a 250ml bottle which will last about 12 months even on my 600L tank.  *grin*
    Look after your fish and the water, do regular water changes & maintenance, do your research and the hobby will be rewarding.
    All the best
    Stephen

• Thank You
    « Reply #71 on: May 01, 2017, 01:06:10 pm »
    I have just put a deposit down for a load of tanks.  *grin*
    5 square tanks around 180ltr all with a central divide making 10 tanks around 90ltr = 900ltr.
    2 rectangle tanks around 140ltr both divided in the  middle making 4 70ltr tanks = 280ltr.
    A shrimp tank divided into 3 with all the fancy kit roughly 90ltr so 3 30ltr tanks.
     All sizes are rough guesses.
    Also maybe having a few more when I go and pick them up at the end of June.
    Very excited. This is going to be a real fish room now.
    « Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 02:22:59 pm by Newbie fishkeeper »

Offline piker

• Thank You
    • -Given: 47
    • -Receive: 250
    « Reply #72 on: May 01, 2017, 01:15:44 pm »
    Look forward to seeing this develop

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

Fluval Venezia 190l Corner Tank
    1 Bristlenose Pleco
    3 Chocolate Gourami
    1 Glowlight Tetras
    9 Cardinal Tetras
    12 Rummynose Tetras
    3 Espei Rasbora
    11 Cory Sterbai
    3 Amano Shrimp
    Crystal Red Shrimp
    MTS snails
    2 Assassin Snails

36l Shrimp tank
    crystal red shrimp
    MTS Snails

Offline vx-chris

• Thank You
    • -Given: 16
    • -Receive: 1
    « Reply #73 on: May 01, 2017, 02:11:09 pm »
    I have just put a deposit down for a load of tanks.  *grin*
    5 square tanks around 180ltr all with a central divide making 10 tanks around 90ltr = 900ltr.
    2 rectangle tanks around 140ltr both divided in the  middle making 4 70ltr tanks = 280ltr.
    A shrimp tank divided into 3 with all the fancy kit roughly 90ltr so 3 30ltr tanks.
    Also maybe having a few more when I go and pick them up at the end of June.
    Very excited. This is going to be a real fish room now.

All from Coalville aquatics mate? Did you manage to get the betta setup?im going to hold off until nearer closing to see what he has left, not that i need anything lol

• Thank You
    « Reply #74 on: May 01, 2017, 02:14:32 pm »
    Some  pictures of the tanks I have just secured.
    First is the  triplet  tank used to keep shrimp  (I intend to do the same)
    Second shows a  load of tanks, 2 of which I have secured, twins.
    Third is all the square twins; all of which are now mine  *grin*