• Online Today: 41
  • Online Ever: 340
  • (November 03, 2012, 08:29:45 PM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 12
Total: 16

RSS Feeds

Author Topic: Betta with fin rot?  (Read 180 times)

Offline Natla

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
Betta with fin rot?
« on: April 20, 2017, 06:08:00 PM »
Hi everyone,

I got a new betta at the end of January. He's absolutely gorgeous and at just £8 from P@H I thought he was a real steal. He developed white spot a couple of weeks after I got him, but quickly recovered with salt, warmth and medicine. This is him a few days after getting better:

[attach=1]

A few days ago I noticed that he was looking a bit different and raggedy. I thought he might have caught his tail somehow but it seems to have got worse since then. There seems to be a black fringe along his bottom fins now as well which I'm especially concerned about. His behaviour isn't any different and he's eating fine.

These 3 photos were all taken within seconds of each other. He still has his shine in the right light so I'm not worried about the dullness of the fins in the first 2 pics. However, comparing the pictures now it's quite a shocking transformation. I didn't realise that his head had become so dark too.

[attach=2]
[attach=3]
[attach=4]

(Sorry about all the sediment in the water. I cleaned the glass to try and get better pictures and it stirred things up a bit)

Does this look like fin rot? Or something else? I'm ready to treat with salt if that's necessary.

Percy shares a planted 10 gallon tank with a couple of amano shrimp. I do weekly water changes of about 30%. I really love this little guy and I'm terrified of losing him or not looking after him right. Please help!

Thank you,

Nat.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 06:11:11 PM by Natla »

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline _pjn312_

• Thank You
    • -Given: 7
    • -Receive: 10
    Re: Betta with fin rot?
    « Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 06:21:30 PM »
    I'm no expert with bettas but that's probably most definitely fin rot. As for the colouration changes, that may just be stress, illness or age -  most fish seem quite stressed in shop aquariums so it may be changing colour slightly as it is not as stressed anymore (Every Amano shrimp I've seen at P@H are white but when I got some they quickly changed into more vivid colours) or it's maybe going under a colour change due to the fin rot (illness). Hopefully someone can come by with a little more experience in this subject because I'm nowhere near an expert, but I hope this helps!  *grin*

Offline Natla

• Thank You
    « Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 06:30:13 PM »
    Thank you so much for the speedy reply!

Yes, my instinct said it was fin rot. I've had several boy bettas and a sorority of ladies in the past but I have no experience with fin rot so I don't really know what I'm looking at. I'll do a water change now, get the plants out and start salt treatment.

Do you know if I should treat with medicine too?

Offline _pjn312_

• Thank You
    « Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 06:46:26 PM »
    Well sometimes you have to move the fish into a separate tank to avoid harming other fish or plants and to not have as many water changes to do, however that isn't too necessary in my experience. The aquarium salt should be fine as a treatment unless the fin rot becomes more severe.

Offline Natla

• Thank You
    « Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 08:20:57 PM »
    Thanks again.

I've done a 100% water change and I took the gravel out and cleaned it too. I've treated with a very small amount of salt and I'll repeat everything minus the substrate rinse tomorrow and see how it goes. I'm hoping that all this doesn't stress Percy out and do more harm than good. He seemed quite relaxed through the process and I am being careful with him so I'm hopeful.

Do you know how I make the plants that were in with him safe? They're in an unstocked tank at the moment and I don't want them to carry bacteria back over into Percy's tank after I'm finished with treatment. Will a simple rinse do? (I feel like this is a silly question, so apologies in advance).
    « Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 08:36:06 PM by Natla »

Offline _pjn312_

• Thank You
    « Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 09:08:47 PM »
    You can use a bleach mixed with water solution (about 1 part bleach 5 parts water) and soak the plants in for 10-15 minutes. This would kill most, if not all, bacteria and also remove alge growing off the plants. A rinse wouldn't get rid of all bacteria however. Hope Percy gets better  *fish2*

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff & Supporter Extraordinaire
    • Global Moderator
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 109
    • -Receive: 5145
    • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
    « Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 09:58:09 AM »
    Are you certain that he hasn't been shredding his own fins?
    Does he get frustrated (are there other bettas nearby for instance) or bored (because there's nothing to get his interest)?
    I've seen similar damage due to them shedding their own fins.
    If it is fin rot, then the above suggestions are fine for bettas, I also prefer a more natural way of sorting them out because of the labyrinth organ. :)
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
    I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
    Ian

Offline Natla

• Thank You
    « Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 12:27:29 PM »
    Hi plankton!

I don't have any other bettas at the moment so it can't be frustration.

I'm not sure about boredom. He builds pretty impressive bubble nests at least once a week which keeps him quite busy. He likes to 'play' with the shrimp a bit too. He hides in the anubias and pops out at them when they come close. It's pretty cute, and they're bigger than him so they aren't threatened. I gave him peas and ping pong balls when I first got him - my last betta was very playful and liked to push things about the tank but Percy wasn't interested. I haven't given him much live food recently, so maybe I should do that more regularly for a bit of enrichment?

I barely slept last night because I was worried about using salt with a labyrinth fish. I prefer natural remedies too. I realised that when he had ich I only used the medicine and a higher temperature and didn't even open the salt at all, so he hasn't experienced it before. I might just do water changes without salt for a few days and see if that makes a difference. Or should I stick to the salt? I did 1 teaspoon per gallon. Aargh! the stress.

Thank you for the reply. I will look out for fin shredding.

Offline plankton

• Global Moderator
    • Thank You
    « Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 09:57:33 AM »
    Half a teaspoon per gallon (or 5l) should be ok for 10-15 mins.
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*

Take it easy
    Ian

Offline Natla

• Thank You
    « Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 09:14:19 PM »
    I've been giving him 15 minute salt baths every other day whilst doing a 50% water change. I gave all his plants and ornaments a soak in bleach and water and they're back in the tank now. He seems excited to have his furniture back and is currently investigating everything. I can't say I see a huge change in his fins yet but he certainly doesn't look any worse.

Many thanks to pjn and plankton. I really appreciate all the help. :)

Offline plankton

• Global Moderator
    • Thank You
    « Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 12:24:47 PM »
    It sounds as though he's perky, so stop the baths.
    Have you got a ping-pong ball you can float for him to investigate as well? That often does the trick if it is self-inflicted.

Take it easy
    Ian