Stats
  • Total Posts: 840422
  • Total Topics: 66454
  • Online Today: 95
  • Online Ever: 340
  • (November 03, 2012, 08:29:45 PM)
Users Online

RSS Feeds

Author Topic: 2nd small tank advice please  (Read 127 times)

Offline vx-chris

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
2nd small tank advice please
« on: May 19, 2017, 01:06:11 PM »
Ok so following on from this thread http://www.tropicalfishforums.co.uk/index.php/topic,233369.0.html

My drawf gourami nest just disappeared over night until yesterday when within 12 hours or so he had built a new nest and we actually saw them spawning with eggs visable.

Im not holding much hope so im looking at getting just a small tank to try and transfer the nest into before they hatch (if i can).

However what i want to know is can i put a heater in one of those plastic tanks or will it be best to get a glass one due to the heater.

Also would it be best to use the main tank water in the smaller tank and top the main tank back up or just use new water in the small tank?

Thanks in advance

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline Major

• Thank You
    • -Given: 2
    • -Receive: 12
    Re: 2nd small tank advice please
    « Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 02:39:25 PM »
    I'm not sure what gourami nests look like but would it be easier for you to transfer the eggs to a fry hatchery in the same tank?

Offline vx-chris

• Thank You
    « Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 02:42:51 PM »
    I was thinking of them but i didnt think they would be big enough lol. If you look on the thread that ive linked in my op there is pictures in it but ill add one here anyway.

Offline Gingerlove05

• Thank You
    • -Given: 916
    • -Receive: 1004
    2nd small tank advice please
    « Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 03:19:02 PM »
    Male gouramis look after the nest and the eggs, defending it, putting any eggs back that fall back out  and removing any that are not fertilised/mouldy.
    Not sure if they look after the fry after that.
    But i cant imagine moving the nest would help. I believe in most gourami breeding the females are removed once the nest and eggs are laid as the male can get very aggressive and kill them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline vx-chris

• Thank You
    « Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 04:42:15 PM »
    Male gouramis look after the nest and the eggs, defending it, putting any eggs back that fall back out  and removing any that are not fertilised/mouldy.
    Not sure if they look after the fry after that.
    But i cant imagine moving the nest would help. I believe in most gourami breeding the females are removed once the nest and eggs are laid as the male can get very aggressive and kill them.

Yeah ive just found that out. After doing some internet reading, it said about carefully removing the nest if its been spawned in a community tank. So ive just been out and bought a new glass tank, air pump and sponge filter to transfer it carefully over. Only problem is ive damaged the nest (i just want to cry). Ive put the male in with it to see if he can save it but im not hopeful.

I was tempted to leave it as it was in the main tank but no matter how much he tried to protect it he couldn't and the females were proper going for it. It was as if they was working together and while one was distracting him the other went up eating the eggs.

Like i said im proper gutted with how its turned out but you live and learn I suppose

Offline Gingerlove05

• Thank You
    « Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 05:05:51 PM »
    Just make sure when you transfer it over to use water from the tank it came from so it matches the parameters.
    Your male is pretty determined. At least you have a better idea for next time :)

Offline vx-chris

• Thank You
    « Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 05:26:10 PM »
    Yeah I transferred the water from the main tank. The nest broke while trying to get it in the new tank. I managed to keep it intact until that point

Offline Gingerlove05

• Thank You
    « Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 06:09:41 PM »
    How did you transfer it?
    I would try a tupperware or something similar to take the nest out, put it in the tank the other end and move it under the nest then lift it out slowly and then put it slowly down into the new tank and move the male in with it

Offline vx-chris

• Thank You
    « Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 06:26:51 PM »
    With a bowl as i couldn't find any tupperware.