Stats
  • Total Posts: 845215
  • Total Topics: 66782
  • Online Today: 48
  • Online Ever: 340
  • (November 03, 2012, 08:29:45 PM)
Users Online

RSS Feeds

Author Topic: What is this in my shrimp tank  (Read 279 times)

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Online Suelo

• Thank You
    • -Given: 135
    • -Receive: 152
    Re: What is this in my shrimp tank
    « Reply #16 on: June 19, 2017, 08:18:27 PM »
    I might try this first, thank you.

Offline CrackFox

• Thank You
    • -Given: 4
    • -Receive: 3
    « Reply #17 on: June 19, 2017, 10:13:12 PM »
    @ajm83 That's an interesting technique, i'd never have thought it sensible. From someone who used to have paroxide blonde hair I know how awful the stuff is. So it's safe then? Would I have to take all the shrimp and snails out for a few days? My tank is only a month or so since cycled so I don't want to risk harming the bacteria either.

Wishing I still had my pearl gourami to pop in there when i've removed the shrimps. Sad :/

Online Gingerlove05

• Thank You
    • -Given: 994
    • -Receive: 1069
    « Reply #18 on: June 19, 2017, 11:17:52 PM »
    Hydrogen peroxide can be used to spot dose in water to kill algae, don't squirt it directly at your fish or other live stock.
    The chemical formula for it is H2O2, which when added to water it reacts to create water (H2O) with a free oxygen molecule (O)
    Hope that makes sense :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online ajm83

• Thank You
    • -Given: 96
    • -Receive: 187
    « Reply #19 on: June 20, 2017, 09:22:47 AM »
    @ajm83 That's an interesting technique, i'd never have thought it sensible. From someone who used to have paroxide blonde hair I know how awful the stuff is. So it's safe then? Would I have to take all the shrimp and snails out for a few days? My tank is only a month or so since cycled so I don't want to risk harming the bacteria either.

Wishing I still had my pearl gourami to pop in there when i've removed the shrimps. Sad :/

Yes, make sure it's the 3% concentration. Filter off, then use a syringe or pipette to spot treat it directly to the hydra. Also works for most types of algae.

A lot of people consider 3 ml / US gal a safe dose to use.  I would treat that as a maximum personally and start with considerably less.  You can always ramp up the dose if necessary...

After 20 mins, filter on job done.  Ideally keep livestock away from the peroxide whilst in use.  I usually try and feed them at the other end of the tank.  :)

The good thing is that as GingerLove says, the end result is water and oxygen, so no need to run carbon to remove it like you do with some other medicines.

PS. Boosh fan?

Offline CrackFox

• Thank You
    • -Given: 4
    • -Receive: 3
    « Reply #20 on: June 21, 2017, 07:35:58 PM »
    I see. I've purchased some 3% solution from ebay. Hopefully will arrive soon. I'll report back when/if it fixes the problem. Thanks!

And yes, haha.