• Total Topics: 70296
  • Online Today: 115
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 83
Total: 83

Author Topic: New Filter Media  (Read 734 times)

Offline B-ri86

• Est. Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 29
New Filter Media
« on: June 22, 2017, 10:04:15 pm »
Hi all,

I've recently bought some new Biohome Mini Ultra media for  my internal filter and I was wondering how I go about setting it up? Is it as simple as swapping it over completely or having half old half new for a bit? The new Biohome stuff came with bacteria balls are these any use?

Also ordered some alder cones is it better to put them in the filter too or just drop them in the tank? Or is it just personal preference.

Thanks
Brian

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline Gingerlove05

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 1755
    • -Receive: 2172
    Re: New Filter Media
    « Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 10:48:49 pm »
    If you have the room just fit it in where you can extra media is always a bonus.
    If you do want to swap it, I'd add the new media and leave it for a few weeks before removing some of the old media.
    I dont know about the alder cones :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Stevie Mancini

• Thank You
    • -Given: 191
    • -Receive: 62
    • I need more characters in my signature!
    « Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 03:41:21 am »
    Watch the video of pond guru explaining filter media set up of bioholme on his YouTube page.

He suggests the following.

On the bottom should be mechanical, so foams from the bottom- course, medium, fine.

For the boilgical ,!after the foams have your bioholme and place tbe little bio balls around the medie, this helps with the bio.

I would highly suggest watching his video. Sorry I can't link as I'm heading out to work.

Cheers.

Edit: link https://youtu.be/szrUlHTW5Zo
    « Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 03:46:12 am by Stevie Mancini »
    https://www.tropicalfishforums.co.uk/index.php/topic,237090.0.html
    6 Laetacara dorsigera
    10Hyphessobrycon sweglesi
    17 Corydoras aeneus (13 Bronze/4 Albino)
    1 Guianacara stergiosi
    6 Pimelodus pictus

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 162
    • -Receive: 6657
    • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
    « Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 09:05:46 am »
    Whatever you do, don't just swap a load of mature for the new, or you'll be removing a good load of munchers.
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
    I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
    Ian

Offline B-ri86

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 09:48:20 pm »
    Will run with both for now, might need to get some kind of netting back for the media do I can easily remove it to swoosh the sponges underneath.

Offline B-ri86

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 12:25:56 am »
    Watch the video of pond guru explaining filter media set up of bioholme on his YouTube page.

On the bottom should be mechanical, so foams from the bottom- course, medium, fine.

For the boilgical ,!after the foams have your bioholme and place tbe little bio balls around the medie, this helps with the bio.

I would highly suggest watching his video. Sorry I can't link as I'm heading out to work.

Cheers.

So I could just replicate this layering of foams & media for the juwel bioflow?

Offline Stevie Mancini

• Thank You
    • -Given: 191
    • -Receive: 62
    • I need more characters in my signature!
    « Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 07:22:19 am »

Cheers.

I'm not familiar with that filter, though it would work for any external tank and Pond filter.

It can take the Bioholme from 4 weeks to up to 6 months to be completely established hence placing the bio balls in, the slowly release good bacteria to fight of ammonia etc. So, i would suggest keeping your existing filter running st the same time for a while.

Have you watched the video? It's great info.
    https://www.tropicalfishforums.co.uk/index.php/topic,237090.0.html
    6 Laetacara dorsigera
    10Hyphessobrycon sweglesi
    17 Corydoras aeneus (13 Bronze/4 Albino)
    1 Guianacara stergiosi
    6 Pimelodus pictus

Offline gwnm

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 5
    • -Receive: 92
    « Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 11:52:40 am »

Cheers.

sort of as the water in your filter goes from top to bottom you would have the foam in the top of the tank going course, medium, fine, you could just add the biohome to the ceramic media you all ready have and gradually change it over to all biohome

Offline B-ri86

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #8 on: June 25, 2017, 12:41:11 pm »
    Yeah think that will be the easiest way to do it. Bought 2kg of biohome which I know I won't need all of it but will cram as much of it in as possible. Was thinking of getting some kind of netting bag so I can lift it in/out when giving the sponges underneath a clean.

Offline gwnm

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 5
    • -Receive: 92
    « Reply #9 on: June 25, 2017, 12:52:19 pm »
    give the biohome a rinse before adding it to filter that stuffs filthy

i used a piece of mosquito net for my betta tank to hold the media together, makes it easier to rinse it out as well

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Greenfingers-Midge-Mosquito-Head-Net/dp/B00871XAEW/ref=pd_sbs_86_6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PE9A6N8NJQGCK59YPBMV

cheap and have spare

Offline B-ri86

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #10 on: June 25, 2017, 09:57:25 pm »
    Thanks for the suggestion  thumbsup is it big enough to hold 2kg of media?

Offline Stephen

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 147
    • -Receive: 2052
    « Reply #11 on: June 25, 2017, 10:40:21 pm »
    Also ordered some alder cones is it better to put them in the filter too or just drop them in the tank?
    Can I ask for what purpose you ordered alder cones?

is it big enough to hold 2kg of media?
    2kg of biohome mini ultra is a lot of biological media, way too much for the Juwel internal filter.
    I would take out the carbon sponge (black) and maybe the Nitrax sponge (green) and get a spare Juwel media cage and fill it with the biohome media, it should just slot in.
    Alternately use a media net bag (if it will fit in).
    Look after your fish and the water, do regular water changes & maintenance, do your research and the hobby will be rewarding.
    All the best
    Stephen

Offline B-ri86

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #12 on: June 26, 2017, 02:22:07 pm »
    Yeah I know I won't need the full 2kg of biohome. Unfortunately it comes by kilo. It's bigger than I thought it would be will just try to cram as much in as possible.

The alder cones are just a venture into something new, either for trying backwater conditions & releasing beneficial compounds into the water.

Offline B-ri86

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #13 on: June 26, 2017, 02:23:56 pm »
    *blackwater

Offline Stephen

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 147
    • -Receive: 2052
    « Reply #14 on: June 26, 2017, 02:51:50 pm »
    Yeah I know I won't need the full 2kg of biohome. Unfortunately it comes by kilo. It's bigger than I thought it would be will just try to cram as much in as possible.

The alder cones are just a venture into something new, either for trying backwater conditions & releasing beneficial compounds into the water.
    The Biohome ultra mini comes in 500g (£7.99), 1kg (£13.99), 3kg (£38.00), 5kg (£61.00), 10kg (£110.00) + postage.
    It does work out cheaper (when adding postage) to buy in bigger quantities ;)
    Look after your fish and the water, do regular water changes & maintenance, do your research and the hobby will be rewarding.
    All the best
    Stephen