• Total Topics: 70296
  • Online Today: 115
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 65
Total: 65

Author Topic: JBL Manado?  (Read 6942 times)

Nic61

JBL Manado?
« on: June 12, 2012, 08:23:25 pm »
Hi everyone,

I have recently set up a new 90l Fluval Roma (with an AquaManta EFX200), which I am currently cycling (fishless!).

I planned to go with a planted tank, so wanted to set it up with plant substrate. The advise I was given was to go with Colombo Florabase, with a top layer of JBL Manado.

I know Florabase can be used on it's own, but the lfs said that JBL Manado would slowly mix in with Florabase and help plants to root... anyway... long story short.... despite washing the Manado, it's extremely dusty.

So after setting up the tank, planing all my new plants etc etc the water has now settled and is clear. However, there's a fine red dust setting on the plants/leaves, heater and filter, which I find unsightly (and am also unsure if it's good for the plants...). I don't expect my tanks to be perfect, but I didn't expect so much dust.

Anyone any experience with Manado? Is there anything I can do to lessen the dust or will it simply get better over time?

Once cycled and matured for a few months, I was hoping to have 5-6 Cories as one of the species in the tank... but am a little worried that they will be followed by a constant dust cloud  *blink*

Any advise appreciated.. thank you!!

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline spearce90

• Thank You
    • -Given: 0
    • -Receive: 0
    Re: JBL Manado?
    « Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 08:58:10 pm »
    I recently put jbl manado in my tank and took me 30-40 mins to clean each 5-6 litres in a bucket with hosepipe until it ran clean. Not sure what to suggest except manually wipe the plants etc to disturb the dust, put the filter on full power and try to use a net/jug to catch the particles.
    AR980 215 litre:
    2 Male Guppies, 6 Danio (3 zebra/ 2 leopard/ 1 longfin), 1 WCMM, 11 Neon Tetra's, 1 Red Tail Shark, 1 BN pleco, 2 Otos, 2 Amano Shrimp
    Tank log: https://www.tropicalfishforums.co.uk/index.php?topic=30324.0

Bluemoon280

JBL Manado?
    « Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 09:20:44 pm »
    I used manado on my tank.  Though I mixed it with akadama as it was much cheaper and I have a large area to cover.

The jbl is dusty, though it will reduce over time,  a power head will help to keep it in suspension.  I would use filter floss in any filter you have and wash out every day or so.

Regards

Nic61

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 09:29:27 pm »
    Thanks to both of you for the quick replies. I guess I did not rinse it well enough .. d'oh!

I will make sure I clean the filter regularly and hope it will get better over time and water changes. Until then I guess I will have to embrace the 'rustic' look.

Offline spearce90

• Thank You
    « Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 09:42:42 pm »
    I agree get some water polishing filter pads and it will son be gone. i used some in my filter worked a treat. good luck *grin*
    AR980 215 litre:
    2 Male Guppies, 6 Danio (3 zebra/ 2 leopard/ 1 longfin), 1 WCMM, 11 Neon Tetra's, 1 Red Tail Shark, 1 BN pleco, 2 Otos, 2 Amano Shrimp

jaynerose21

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 12:25:13 am »
    Im looking to use manado in my tank, can I ask how much you needed for your 90l fluval roma? As they come in different sized bags 5, 10, 25l etc im unsure which size to get!

Nic61

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 09:01:57 am »
    I used a layer of 10l Colombo Florabase (thicker where i know most of the plants would go) and another approx 5-6l JBL Manado on top of that (I bought a 10l bag, but didn't use it all).

Just don't forget to wash it very thoroughly.

My tank seems more settled now. There is still dust, but as I haven't added/removed any plants, therefore not stirred anything up, it all looks a lot better.  Here's hoping that by the time I can get Cories the water changes and polishing filter pads will have removed most of the dust.

Nic61

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 09:15:36 am »
    Not the best photos... but it started out like this:

80971-0

and now looks something like this:

80973-1

Offline spearce90

• Thank You
    « Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 09:30:13 am »
    Wow looks really good, crazy plant growth!
    AR980 215 litre: