• Total Topics: 70296
  • Online Today: 62
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 91
Total: 91

Author Topic: Marphie's Tank Log  (Read 91926 times)

Offline carranty

• Est. Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 51
  • -Receive: 76
Re: Newbie with LOTS of questions
« Reply #225 on: October 25, 2014, 06:24:46 pm »
Stephen, Marphie, you both come across as very nice, considerate folk.  I'm sure neither of you meant any offence to the other.

I often find on forums that mis-communication is common and can lead to people inferring things that were not meant, which can then lead to full blown arguments. We've evolved as humans to talk to one another in person, subconsciously reading body language, pitch and tonal changes etc. When we use a written-only-medium such as a forum, it's easy to misinterpret what someone is saying, or to misjudge how someone else will interpret our own words.  I also think sometimes we can write a post when we're frustrated and that frustration can be misinterpreted as being directed at a particular source when it really isn't.

Its frustrating from both sides when choosing fish -  the person who may not be able to have the fish they want, and the person who's advice may turn out to be incompatible with the others desires - it'd just be a shame to let that frustration leak into the thread and ruin what could be an incredibly beneficial exchange.
Tank 1 : AquaEl 112L
             1 x Flash Pleco, 12 x Espei Rasbora, 12 x Cardinal Tetra, 1 x Apple Snail

Tank 2 : FLuval Roma 90L
             12 x Celestial Pearl Danio, 3 x (True) Honey Gourami, 6 x Bronze Cory

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline WadeWilson

• Thank You
    • -Given: 302
    • -Receive: 196
    « Reply #226 on: October 25, 2014, 06:39:35 pm »
    It's exactly that, if this conversation were face to face it would have had the correct tones etc and came across the way Stephen meant for it to.
    Your questions you ask marphine have helped me also with the answers given by everybody this thread.

Believe me my list started with red tail sharks, corys and all sorts that were stupid ideas now I know the facts. I was disheartened at first but there are so many beautiful fish out there that it's not hard to fall in love with that are more suited to your own set up.

Stay smiling people.
    Suffering from multi tank syndrome...

Offline Stephen

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 147
    • -Receive: 2052
    « Reply #227 on: October 25, 2014, 06:49:38 pm »
    I think there has been a misunderstanding somewhere and I took it to heart.
    It's no excuse but I do have some other stuff going on with little one just now. I just hope to have a plan together because she is going into hospital for an operation again soon and I feel a bit out of control.
    Again, thank you for your help. I have ordered the fluval u4 and just purchased some bog wood. Hopefully will be ready to set up soon.
    I hope everything goes well for your little girl. I understand the stress thing and feel for you as the mother.

So we are friends again?
    Good  *applause*
    Look after your fish and the water, do regular water changes & maintenance, do your research and the hobby will be rewarding.
    All the best
    Stephen

Offline Hanlou

• Thank You
    • -Given: 28
    • -Receive: 82
    « Reply #228 on: October 25, 2014, 08:19:39 pm »
    I have to say Stephen they look like great choices!  *grin*

We were looking at lemon tetras the other day - they are beautiful fish!

Really hope this all goes to plan for you Marphie.  xx
    Love Han

Offline Stephen

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 147
    • -Receive: 2052
    « Reply #229 on: October 25, 2014, 08:45:01 pm »
    I have to say Stephen they look like great choices!  *grin*

We were looking at lemon tetras the other day - they are beautiful fish!
    I have some lemon tetras and they are very peaceful with the other fish, the males are facing each other up but that's what they do, no fighting just face each other up. Good to watch.
    The Emerald Brochis would look good against the mauve substrate (IMHO).
    Look after your fish and the water, do regular water changes & maintenance, do your research and the hobby will be rewarding.
    All the best
    Stephen

Offline Marphie

• Thank You
    • -Given: 60
    • -Receive: 35
    « Reply #230 on: October 26, 2014, 01:29:24 am »
    Saw lime green tetra today. I really liked them.

Can anyone please point me towards an air pump so that I can order it. No idea what I am looking at and don't want to be disappointed.
    It's for a round bubble led light. It will need to run from under the tank through a 2m tube so needs to be strong enough for that but not too noisy.
    Thanks
    My little princess's first aquarium.

Finally cycled :)

11 green neon rasbora
    3 cardinal tetras
    5 sterbai cory
    1 zebra nerite snail
    4 Red cherry shrimp (multiplying rapidly)

Offline waynes world

• Thank You
    • -Given: 192
    • -Receive: 236
    « Reply #231 on: October 26, 2014, 09:01:35 am »

Can anyone please point me towards an air pump so that I can order it. No idea what I am looking at and don't want to be disappointed.
    It's for a round bubble led light. It will need to run from under the tank through a 2m tube so needs to be strong enough for that but not too noisy.
    Thanks

Hi Marphie, first time for me with an air pump and impressed with the Eheim, i have the 400l and its great, but that is an adjustable twin outlet, so if only one stone then the 200l may do. mine is pumping 2 medium size air stones easy in a deep tank. 
    T1 - 550l
    6 Serpae, 15 Rummy Nose, 12 Glowlight, 12 Black widow, 9 Pristella,6 Cory trilineatus, 4 Albino Cory, 1 Hill stream Loach, 4 Kuhli, L83, 1 L91, Horse faced Loach.
    Fish Room, QT 14 Baby Kribs, BT1 Empty, BT2 4 Albino Corys.

Offline Marphie

• Thank You
    « Reply #232 on: October 26, 2014, 11:36:33 am »

Thanks

Hi Marphie, first time for me with an air pump and impressed with the Eheim, i have the 400l and its great, but that is an adjustable twin outlet, so if only one stone then the 200l may do. mine is pumping 2 medium size air stones easy in a deep tank.

thank you.
    I have had a look. The 200 also has 2 outlets. Can you turn one off?
    Do you think the 100 will be good enough?

11 green neon rasbora
    3 cardinal tetras
    5 sterbai cory
    1 zebra nerite snail

Offline WadeWilson

• Thank You
    « Reply #233 on: October 26, 2014, 11:51:23 am »
    Right at the risk of being exiled, do I need an air pump as well?

Also need to vent this... WHY DO THE CABNIETS HAVE TO BE SO EXPENSIVE GRRR SEEN AN AMAZING TANK I JUST CAN'T HOUSE IT :(

Offline carranty

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #234 on: October 26, 2014, 12:01:54 pm »
    Do you think the 100 will be good enough?

I've just purchased the 200L/h off amazon, it's actually £1 cheaper than the 100L/h at the moment; so I figured why not!

Offline carranty

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #235 on: October 26, 2014, 12:04:56 pm »
    Right at the risk of being exiled, do I need an air pump as well?

Also need to vent this... WHY DO THE CABNIETS HAVE TO BE SO EXPENSIVE GRRR SEEN AN AMAZING TANK I JUST CAN'T HOUSE IT :(

From what I understand - and I may be wrong - no you don't. They're mostly cosmetic. The air bubbles you see rising from them aren't actually adding oxygen to the water, its the disturbance at the top that provides most of the oxygenation - this is why you are meant to put your filter high enough that it causes a disturbance at the top of the tank.  They will help a little, but provided you've got an adequate filter, they're unneccesary.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 12:07:17 pm by carranty »

Offline waynes world

• Thank You
    • -Given: 192
    • -Receive: 236
    « Reply #236 on: October 26, 2014, 12:05:13 pm »
    I just tried to see on my 400 twin to see if you can use just one and you cant, there is always a little air flowing and both air lines need to be fitted, you could block one off but i dont know what that will do the pump then as all air will be going into one air line i think, could ware the pump out. I would think the 100 will do for a small air bubble ring.
    Sorry cant help anymore as not up on them much myself as to not damage it with using one outlet on a twin pump.

WW, you dont neeed a air pump, they are good for air stones and more water circulation as this then gets more oxygen into the water with more surface movement. So not need. 
    T1 - 550l
    6 Serpae, 15 Rummy Nose, 12 Glowlight, 12 Black widow, 9 Pristella,6 Cory trilineatus, 4 Albino Cory, 1 Hill stream Loach, 4 Kuhli, L83, 1 L91, Horse faced Loach.
    Fish Room, QT 14 Baby Kribs, BT1 Empty, BT2 4 Albino Corys.

Offline WadeWilson

• Thank You
    « Reply #237 on: October 26, 2014, 12:06:28 pm »
    Brilliant, I'm aware of the surface disturbance and was planning on doing so. Thanks again guys!

Offline carranty

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #238 on: October 26, 2014, 12:07:26 pm »
    And, yes, all the cabinets seem very expensive to me too. It's a case of paying for form over function imo.  Yes they may look nice (I'm not sure about a lot of them), but you can build something sturdy enough to hold the tank yourself for about £30 (there are loads of tutorials on youtube).

Offline Marphie

• Thank You
    « Reply #239 on: October 26, 2014, 12:20:20 pm »
    I just tried to see on my 400 twin to see if you can use just one and you cant, there is always a little air flowing and both air lines need to be fitted, you could block one off but i dont know what that will do the pump then as all air will be going into one air line i think, could ware the pump out. I would think the 100 will do for a small air bubble ring.
    Sorry cant help anymore as not up on them much myself as to not damage it with using one outlet on a twin pump.

WW, you dont neeed a air pump, they are good for air stones and more water circulation as this then gets more oxygen into the water with more surface movement. So not need.

That's great thank you. I will just buy a single one then. Which is maybe the same power as the 200 is maybe 2x 100. Does that make sense?
    I'm only going to have one thing in the tank to use an air pump so that it's not too much for her. Thanks for your help!

11 green neon rasbora
    3 cardinal tetras
    5 sterbai cory
    1 zebra nerite snail