• Total Topics: 70296
  • Online Today: 115
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 57
Total: 57

Author Topic: New and looking help to identify my fish.  (Read 3798 times)

Offline jp_cfc09

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 11
New and looking help to identify my fish.
« on: October 23, 2014, 07:48:06 pm »
Hi I'm new to tropical fish and bought a second hand tank it's only 3ft by 1ft but big enough for now. Only thing is it came with fish already which I don't know what they are, guy I got it from never seemed to know either. He seemed to come across as if he never gave a care about them or the tank. Wondering if any more experienced people could help me?270433-0
1 St tank 30g: 7 guppies, 4 corrys (2 panda, 1 bronze, 1 peppered.) 6 RC shrimp, 1 bladder/pond snail.

2nd tank 30g: black moor goldfish, Orange and white fantail goldfish.

3rd tank 10g: 8neon tetra, red clawed crab

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline Jimmy927

• Thank You
    • -Given: 0
    • -Receive: 15
    Re: New and looking help to identify my fish.
    « Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 08:25:07 pm »
    1 is a black neon tetra
    Juwel Rio 180
    Heavily planted
    12 Neon Tetra
    3 Siamese Algae Eaters

Offline Jimmy927

• Thank You
    « Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 08:26:35 pm »
    No 2 looks like a peppered corydora, No 3-4 is a harlequin rasbora no 5 looks like a danio and no 6 is a plecostomus 
    Juwel Rio 180
    Heavily planted
    12 Neon Tetra
    3 Siamese Algae Eaters

Offline Jimmy927

• Thank You
    « Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 08:27:25 pm »
    Sorry no 2 is some kind of tetra  no 3 is a peppered Cory and so on.
    Juwel Rio 180
    Heavily planted
    12 Neon Tetra
    3 Siamese Algae Eaters

Offline DoubleDutch

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 936
    • -Receive: 924
    « Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 08:29:31 pm »
    To me
    1 black Neon tetra
    2 Serpae tetra
    3 corydoras Paleatu
    4  5 Halequins
    6 Zebra danio
    7 Gibbiceps ????????

Offline jp_cfc09

• Thank You
    « Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 08:37:55 pm »
    Thanks guys for the reply,  could anybody recommend the ideal temperature for my fish. I've currently just set it to 25 c. I'm a bit worried about the big plecostomus, I don't know what type he is or how big he will grow.
    1 St tank 30g: 7 guppies, 4 corrys (2 panda, 1 bronze, 1 peppered.) 6 RC shrimp, 1 bladder/pond snail.

Offline DoubleDutch

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 09:00:53 pm »
    Too big I think.
    Temp is okay to me, though zebra danios could be kept at a lower temp.

Offline Jimmy927

• Thank You
    « Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 09:04:37 pm »
    I normally have my heater set to 26c but everyone has there own temperature depending on what fish they have in there tanks, If the last one is a gibbiceps these can grow quiet large, I'm sure double Dutch could give you more info on them but In that size tank I would look Into maybe a pekolita they are dwarf plecostomus they can even be called clown plecs. How many litres is the tank do you know? If it is around the 150-180l mark you could even get a bristlenose plec but you could end up moving that as well later on
    Juwel Rio 180
    Heavily planted
    12 Neon Tetra
    3 Siamese Algae Eaters

Offline DoubleDutch

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 09:33:21 pm »

I normally have my heater set to 26c but everyone has there own temperature depending on what fish they have in there tanks, If the last one is a gibbiceps these can grow quiet large, I'm sure double Dutch could give you more info on them but In that size tank I would look Into maybe a pekolita they are dwarf plecostomus they can even be called clown plecs. How many litres is the tank do you know? If it is around the 150-180l mark you could even get a bristlenose plec but you could end up moving that as well later on
    I am not a pleco-man Jimmy, so I can be wrong in this case. But my suspicion is a bigger one. Others can tell more / better !! Regards Aad

Offline jp_cfc09

• Thank You
    « Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 11:05:34 pm »
    I do think it will get quite large and out grow this tank in no time. I might try and see if I can get someone to take him if they have space. I would not of ever bought one for this size of a tank but all the fish came with it. Also It scares my young child anyway so he will be happy if it goes to a bigger home also lol.

My other problem is that I never knew it came with fish until I went to buy it. I intended to use it as a coldwater aquarium for two fancy goldfish that i own in a smaller tank, but from what I've read up they are not ment to be in warm aquariums.

Does anybody know the maximum temp you could keep a oranda and black moor goldfish? Anyway I could keep them with the other fish in low 20 ' s or am I out of luck.
    « Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 11:07:40 pm by jp_cfc09 »

Offline Jimmy927

• Thank You
    « Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 08:57:10 am »

I am not a pleco-man Jimmy, so I can be wrong in this case. But my suspicion is a bigger one. Others can tell more / better !! Regards Aad

Sorry I saw your post above mine when I was typing my post and assumed you might know something about them.

Juwel Rio 180
    Heavily planted
    12 Neon Tetra
    3 Siamese Algae Eaters

Offline Jimmy927

• Thank You
    « Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 09:01:01 am »
    I do think it will get quite large and out grow this tank in no time. I might try and see if I can get someone to take him if they have space. I would not of ever bought one for this size of a tank but all the fish came with it. Also It scares my young child anyway so he will be happy if it goes to a bigger home also lol.

My other problem is that I never knew it came with fish until I went to buy it. I intended to use it as a coldwater aquarium for two fancy goldfish that i own in a smaller tank, but from what I've read up they are not ment to be in warm aquariums.

Does anybody know the maximum temp you could keep a oranda and black moor goldfish? Anyway I could keep them with the other fish in low 20 ' s or am I out of luck.

I personally wouldn't keep a goldfish with any tropical fish, I have heard you can but the goldfish will be more prone to disease, I also wouldn't realy look into lowering your temp below 25c with some of the fish you have in there. Its a choose situation with you at the moment, Would you like your goldfish in a bigger tank or would you like to keep tropical fish? Why don't you put the goldfish in the bigger tank and make a tropical out of your smaller aquarium?
    Juwel Rio 180
    Heavily planted
    12 Neon Tetra
    3 Siamese Algae Eaters

Offline jp_cfc09

• Thank You
    « Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 10:13:14 am »
    I think that might be best to be honest. Re-home the pleco and make my smaller tank a tropical tank for the small fish so my goldfish have a bigger tank. I would be afraid of them small fish nipping on the gold fish also and i have had them to long too lose them now. Thanks everyone for the help.

Offline catface26

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 24
    • -Receive: 83
    « Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 10:16:41 am »
    Is the cory on it's own? They should really be in a group of at least 6 and they also need a sand substrate ideally.

Offline jp_cfc09

• Thank You
    « Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 10:26:37 am »
    I'm afraid he is alone and it's gravel in it at present I have been looking into sand as I've heard it can be easier to clean as most of the dirt doesn't fall throw to the bottom like gravel. Only thing is I need to read up on sand as I've never used it before. Looks like I need to Re-home him also then do I?