• Total Topics: 70296
  • Online Today: 115
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 48
Total: 48

Author Topic: ich or not?  (Read 5264 times)

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
  • Superhero Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 162
  • -Receive: 6657
  • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
Re: ich or not?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2015, 04:06:11 pm »
Is the heater stuck on? It ought to be lower by now.......
Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
Ian

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

adele25

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2015, 12:04:51 pm »
    its slowly going down now, down to 77.

my platy is still alive, not eating or swimming at all just lying on his side flapping his gills and pectoral fins. dorsal and tail are clamped and rotting. is it too late to try a fin rot treatment? i dont have a quarantine or spare tank

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 162
    • -Receive: 6657
    • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
    « Reply #17 on: February 28, 2015, 05:32:52 pm »
    Do water changes, it won't help by using meds, I don't think.
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
    I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
    Ian

adele25

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2015, 06:01:19 pm »
    ok thankyou

adele25

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2015, 11:08:37 pm »
    hiya. me again :) all has been fine in my 30L tank for a while now with 4 danios, 2 barbs & 2 platys. BUT the platys have had fry & as its a biorb with large stones instead of gravel they have easily hid & grown! Getting brave & swimming out now. Got a new tank, set it up Wed night, just letting it cycle, water is cloudy at mo. I think there is about 10 big babies & a few more smaller. I was wondering how many I can keep with the 8 fish in the 30L & how many to move to the new tank, I think its 54L. :)

Offline Mol_PMB

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 3272
    • -Receive: 2356
    • Paul M-B
    « Reply #20 on: May 22, 2015, 11:13:24 pm »
    If it were me, I think I'd put all the Platys in the new tank and leave the barbs and danios in the old one.
    Obviously wait until the new one is fully cycled as it's quite a lot to put in at once!
    Also think about what you are going to do in the longer term with lots of baby platys! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    9 tropical tanks, 1 marine

Bred:
    Cichlids: Dicrossus filamentosus; Pelvicachromis subocellatus 'Moanda'; Biotodoma cupido
    Catfish: Ancistrus 'Rio Paraguay'; Panaqolus sp. L397; Pseudolithoxus dumus; Farlowella vittata; Corydoras melini, burgessi, oiapoquensis
    Loaches: Pangio myersi
    Tetras: Moenkhausia sanctaefilomenae; Copella meinkeni

adele25

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2015, 11:27:08 pm »
    Ah okay thankyou, I did think of popping them all in the new tank. Just dont want to 'shock' the fry with the move. Not sure if to net the fish from one to other, pop in a bag like if bringing them home from LFS & float it or to do a water change of the new tank adding water from the old tank before moving any. If that makes sense. I was going to offer them out as Ive so many but I cant bring myself to give them away haha, hoping they wont have more fry as they cant really hide to grow in the new anyway as its just gravel. Last resort is split males & females to separate tanks :)

Offline Mol_PMB

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • Paul M-B
    « Reply #22 on: May 22, 2015, 11:31:47 pm »
    Do a water-change in the old tank, and part-fill a bucket with the water taken out. Maybe 1/4 full.
    Then net the fish out into the bucket (water they're used to).
    Then put the bucket near the new tank and below it. Get a length of airline and use it as a slow siphon from the new tank into the bucket. Gradually the water in the bucket will come to match the water in the new tank. Then net them out of the bucket into the new tank.
    :)

Bred:
    Cichlids: Dicrossus filamentosus; Pelvicachromis subocellatus 'Moanda'; Biotodoma cupido
    Catfish: Ancistrus 'Rio Paraguay'; Panaqolus sp. L397; Pseudolithoxus dumus; Farlowella vittata; Corydoras melini, burgessi, oiapoquensis

adele25

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2015, 11:36:54 pm »
    Okay great I will do that when the new tank water has cleared up & cycled more. Thankyou! :)

Offline Mol_PMB

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • Paul M-B
    « Reply #24 on: May 22, 2015, 11:50:32 pm »
    How are you cycling the new tank? And have you transferred any media over from the old one?

Bred:

adele25

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2015, 12:00:38 am »
    I just set it up like any new tank. Washed gravel, plants, heater & filter on, quickstart to make the tap water safe and some bacteria boost. I was going to move some media but wasnt sure as biorb is ceramic media not gravel & the new tank is plain gravel. I have plants in both so was going to swap them around but wasnt sure if that would do the same as moving media. I cant swap filters either as they are diff too.

Offline Mol_PMB

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • Paul M-B
    « Reply #26 on: May 23, 2015, 07:33:07 am »
    If you're going to move a lot of fish in all at once (most of which are sensitive fry) then I think you should do a proper fishless cycle with ammonia. It will be quicker than usual if you move over a couple of bits of media from the biorb, just put them in the tank in a place where the water flow over them is good.

Bred:

adele25

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2015, 10:36:59 am »
    Okay great I will move some over. Instead of plonking all the fish in at once do you think it would be best if I moved the 2 adults first, then another day most the big fry & lastly the smaller fry when they have grown a bit more? :)

Offline Mol_PMB

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • Paul M-B
    « Reply #28 on: May 23, 2015, 10:47:51 am »
    Personally I would do the proper fishless cycle.

Bred:

adele25

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2015, 11:02:29 am »
    Thankyou for your help! Im in no rush to move them so I can let it cycle. Excited to see what colours they become as the parents are a mickey & a red wag :)