• Total Topics: 70296
  • Online Today: 75
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 62
Total: 62

Author Topic: Which fish to choose?!  (Read 929 times)

Yadaworry

Which fish to choose?!
« on: October 09, 2015, 11:14:20 pm »
Hi there,

Sorry to bother you all but I am currently setting up a new tank (I have had  a tank before but not for over a year) and I really can't decide which species to put in once it is ready.

It is a Fluval Vicenza 260ltr and I am currently in the process of doing a fish less cycle. I like the idea of of trying a biotope aquaria this time (as best as possible) because last time it was just a mixed community.

Currently the tank has a sand substrate, large piece of big wood and a few amazon swords and I was thinking of going down the South American theme but before I go to far I wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions for anything else.

There is also the choice of community or cichlids down this route also.

Any ideas, suggestions or help and advice would be much appreciated.

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline Briganti

• Thank You
    • -Given: 17
    • -Receive: 536
    Re: Which fish to choose?!
    « Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 11:19:21 pm »
    Hello and welcome.
    A few questions that will help us help you. Do you have a water test kit? Do you know if your water is hard or soft?
    May have MTS but its not a problem till you admit it.... right?

Offline Briganti

• Thank You
    « Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 11:25:03 pm »
    You can find the hardness of your water on your local water authority website.

Yadaworry

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 11:25:37 pm »
    Hi there and thank you for replying.

Yes I have a water test kit and my water is classed as moderately soft as I live in south west Cornwall. The tank still has a few weeks until it will be ready for any fish.

Offline Briganti

• Thank You
    « Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 11:30:34 pm »
    Lucky you, that should be good for south american species. It's the hard part waiting for the cycle to finish but it does give you time to research the fish. That's a nice tank that one too.

Offline Stephen

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 147
    • -Receive: 2052
    « Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 11:46:32 pm »
    The soft water of Cornwall is great for many soft water species.
    Do not get hard water species as they will suffer prematurely (guppy, molly, platy, swordtails, rainbowfish, etc..)

The South American theme sounds great.
    Tetras, Corydoras, etc.. so many to choose from.
    Look after your fish and the water, do regular water changes & maintenance, do your research and the hobby will be rewarding.
    All the best
    Stephen

Yadaworry

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 08:28:39 am »
    I don't suppose anyone can recommend a forum on here or a good site which would list the species from this area and there water parameters. Every time I look I just seem to end up with South American cichlids and everything else mixed in the community section. Thank you again

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 162
    • -Receive: 6657
    • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
    « Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 09:13:35 am »
    Basically plecostomus, corydoras, tetra (except the few African species), and the South American cichlids.....ask here about what you're thinking of and we'll advise ;)
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
    I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
    Ian

Offline marty.h

• Thank You
    • -Given: 1386
    • -Receive: 790
    « Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 09:13:55 am »
    I don't suppose anyone can recommend a forum on here or a good site which would list the species from this area and there water parameters. Every time I look I just seem to end up with South American cichlids and everything else mixed in the community section. Thank you again
    If you ask Stephen or plankton (ian) I'm sure they will post a list of species you are able to keep the guys on this forum are very helpful if you ask them :)

Edit: Ian has already popped up haha

Yadaworry

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 12:50:24 pm »
    I am considering some South American cichlids and I know most people say they are the most peaceful of the cichlids family but are you restricted to species only or are there certain fish that can be accompanied by other species like tetra, cory's and pleco's?

Offline Mol_PMB

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 3272
    • -Receive: 2356
    • Paul M-B
    « Reply #10 on: October 10, 2015, 01:19:10 pm »
    Many can be kept with other fish such as cories, tetras, plecs etc.
    It depends how big or aggressive the cichlids are.
    Have a look at smaller ones like rams or apistos, or medium-size peaceful ones like keyholes and cupids. I have a shoal of 7 cupids in a 450L tank and they're beautiful and active fish that live happily with medium sized tetras, otos, cories, plecs etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    9 tropical tanks, 1 marine

Bred:
    Cichlids: Dicrossus filamentosus; Pelvicachromis subocellatus 'Moanda'; Biotodoma cupido
    Catfish: Ancistrus 'Rio Paraguay'; Panaqolus sp. L397; Pseudolithoxus dumus; Farlowella vittata; Corydoras melini, burgessi, oiapoquensis
    Loaches: Pangio myersi
    Tetras: Moenkhausia sanctaefilomenae; Copella meinkeni

Offline Stephen

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 147
    • -Receive: 2052
    « Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 01:23:24 pm »
    I am considering some South American cichlids and I know most people say they are the most peaceful of the cichlids family but are you restricted to species only or are there certain fish that can be accompanied by other species like tetra, cory's and pleco's?
    Keyhole Cichlids are very peaceful, add corydoras, tetras and maybe some pencilfish.
    A 4 foot tank such as the Fluval Vicenza 260L can hold 2 pairs of keyholes and a good shoal of tetras.
    Cardinal tetra, rummynose tetra are good shoaling fish and your tank can easily take 15 of either tetra species. For the lower area then Corydoras are a must, again a good group of 10 or more or 2 groups of 2 different species of corydoras (6 of each) to create additional interest.

Stephen
    Look after your fish and the water, do regular water changes & maintenance, do your research and the hobby will be rewarding.
    All the best
    Stephen

Offline Mr_Twister

• Thank You
    • -Given: 44
    • -Receive: 14
    « Reply #12 on: October 10, 2015, 01:30:46 pm »
    I'm so glad I read this, I'd thought most Cichlids were off my list for various reasons but the Keyholes sound amazing!

Offline Mol_PMB

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 3272
    • -Receive: 2356
    • Paul M-B
    « Reply #13 on: October 10, 2015, 01:41:25 pm »
    You'll find that most South American cichlids are fine in groups of 1, 2 (only if a pair) or lots (a shoal of 6+).
    Mid-size groups of 3-5 tend to bully the weakest/smallest fish until it dies, then start on the next weakest one. With a big shoal they tend to tussle a bit but there are enough of them that the aggro is shared out.

This does depend a bit on the species, and the male/female ratio.

For example, with angels, a group of 3-4 is pretty much guaranteed to end badly. But some apistos like being kept in a 1M/2F harem.

Bigger ones will see smaller tetras as lunch.

Also consider what level of the tank they live in. Substrate-dwellers such as rams, apistos and Geos may not tolerate catfish like cories so well, while mid-water dwellers like angels are more likely to go after tetras.

9 tropical tanks, 1 marine

Bred:
    Cichlids: Dicrossus filamentosus; Pelvicachromis subocellatus 'Moanda'; Biotodoma cupido
    Catfish: Ancistrus 'Rio Paraguay'; Panaqolus sp. L397; Pseudolithoxus dumus; Farlowella vittata; Corydoras melini, burgessi, oiapoquensis
    Loaches: Pangio myersi
    Tetras: Moenkhausia sanctaefilomenae; Copella meinkeni

Yadaworry

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2015, 02:54:14 pm »
    I just want to say thank you guys, I think I have found out more in the day of joining this site than I have in the months of trying to research (and confusing) myself haha!