Ammonia Calculator

Articles on TFF UK

Donate to TFF!

If we have been of help please consider making a Donation to TFF UK

Or sign up to a quarterly subscription at £10 every 3 months

Every Little Helps

Advertisements

RSS Feeds

Author Topic: Eheim 2215 noise  (Read 753 times)

Offline twooo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
Eheim 2215 noise
« on: December 18, 2012, 11:39:27 PM »
Bought an second hand Eheim 2215 the other week and have now got it up and running after a couple of false starts.  But I'm not sure if it's meant to be this loud or not.  I've tried to record it, but my phone is pretty old and a bit crap, so the sound didn't come out too clearly.  The noise isn't a gargling air-leak noise (I know this because it was doing this and I've since sorted that problem out) but more of a normal pump-like humming noise.  But it's pretty noisy.  Even with the cabinet door shut, you can hear it clearly, rumbling away.  Does anyone know if this is normal?  The media that came with it was pretty thin on the ground - a blue filter, a white filter, some Ehfimech and a plastic wool-type thing. Even putting everything in, the media only comes up to about a 1/3 of the way up the canister so maybe that's the problem - it needs more in it to stop everything rattling round in the canister?

Anything else I should consider?*

I can't have this - the tank is in my bedroom.

*Apart from not buying second hand stuff again.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 11:49:45 PM by twooo »
Planted Juwel Rio 180          
5 Glass Catfish
4 Cardinal Tetras
4 Golden Sucking Loaches  
3 Bettas (1 x m, 2 x f)
1 Horse-faced Loach
1 7" Gibbiceps Pleco
6 Amano Shrimps
2 Red Clawed Crabs

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline twooo

• Thank You
    Re: Eheim 2215 noise
    « Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 11:56:07 PM »
    Right.  I have filled it with media, isolated it from any possible vibration, definitely without doubt got all air out of the system and this damn filter is still rumbling away.  During the day, it's fine.  You can hear it, but only just.  But at night it's a right pain in the arse.  Do they all sound this noisy?  I know it was second hand, but I thought Eheims were meant to be the be-all and end-all af filtration systems.  I'm really not convinced.  The flow rate seems pretty low and the noise is just not acceptable.

So following on from the air pump thread, are all external filters noisy?

The noise isn't an unusual noise, it's just the normal noise you would expect from a water pump.  But I would have thought aquarium filter pumps would be designed to be super quiet, considering where they are normally placed (in a living room or bedroom).

I'm actually considering 2 internal filters rather than this and sod the look of the tank.
    « Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 12:04:19 AM by twooo »
    Planted Juwel Rio 180          
    5 Glass Catfish
    4 Cardinal Tetras
    4 Golden Sucking Loaches  
    3 Bettas (1 x m, 2 x f)
    1 Horse-faced Loach
    1 7" Gibbiceps Pleco
    6 Amano Shrimps
    2 Red Clawed Crabs

Offline lurch1000

• Competition Manager
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 7
    • -Receive: 286
    « Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 12:03:18 AM »
    I'd suggest removing all media and baskets, and of course air and see how that runs.

It may be that you have a bent or off centre spindle and/or a damaged or unbalanced impeller. As they're all induction drive, I'd say you're looking at spindle/magnet/impeller if it's nothing to do with casing, media or air. Not sure how much those bits are. I know the Juwel impellers can be got off eBay for £11ish.

If you want a quick idea of how much parts are, and they're largely one of the best priced out there for Eheim parts, plus they have parts lists and diagrams of each filter, try Fish and Fins.
    Become a tax dodger. Give up smoking, drinking and driving.

Photo comps open!
    Don't forget to enter and vote!

Offline twooo

• Thank You
    « Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 12:12:08 AM »
    mmm.

After buying the filter, buying more media and more hosing, now the possibility of a new spindle or magnet or impeller or mixture of the three, I REALLY should have bought it new.  Or not bothered at all.

I honestly will not buy anything second hand again.

Coming soon to eBay - Eheim 2215 filter with brand new media and hosing, uprated spraybar and inlet pipe.

Wanted - Fluvel U3 internal filter.  Needs to be BNIB.
    Planted Juwel Rio 180          
    5 Glass Catfish
    4 Cardinal Tetras
    4 Golden Sucking Loaches  
    3 Bettas (1 x m, 2 x f)
    1 Horse-faced Loach
    1 7" Gibbiceps Pleco
    6 Amano Shrimps
    2 Red Clawed Crabs

Offline insanejim69

• Thank You
    • -Given: 10
    • -Receive: 10
    • The Quiet Mad One
    « Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 01:06:47 AM »
    Sorry to hear these problems. But I agree above, sounds like the impeller isn't centred perfectly due to damage on possibly the ceramic spindle. :(

I will say though, I have had my Eheim 2224 for a year now and have really looked after it and its whisper quiet all the time. So not all 2nd hand items are rubbish and not looked after  *cheers*

James

:)
    200L Eheim Tank - Now Sold

125L Fluval Roma '14 - Arrived and setup

14 Harlequin Rasboras
    8 Pearl Danios
    10 Black Tetras
    4 Albino Corys
    2 Peppered Corys (soon to be 4)
    ?? Assassin Snails (god knows how many)

Offline procky

• Thank You
    • -Given: 0
    • -Receive: 0
    « Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 01:26:13 AM »
    I have an Eheim 2217 & a 2215 running on my tank & I can hardly hear them, they are fantastic filters in my opinion. Definately sounds like an impeller problem.

If you are thinking of buying a new one try Swell UK, very cheap & free next day delivery & they come with hoses/ double taps/ spray bars/ all filter media.