• Total Topics: 70296
  • Online Today: 115
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 53
Total: 53

Author Topic: Munchy's Regulated DIY CO2 Setup  (Read 53509 times)

Offline Munchy2007

• TFF Supporter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 245
Re: Munchy's Regulated DIY CO2 Setup
« Reply #480 on: July 31, 2014, 11:40:28 pm »
Came home to a sticky mess this morning. I'm guessing my pressure release valves wasn't working one of my bottles actually exploded.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Wow! The actual bottle exploded? I'm surprised that the bottle went before the CO2 tubing.

When I was experimenting early on, I did manage to burst a bit of the CO2 tubing myself, but that was at around 4 BAR pressure and the bottles are rated a lot higher than that.

Can I ask, are you using a pressure gauge to monitor the pressure, because you should have had a least a couple of days (probably longer) of the pressure building up before it would have got to a level that it would burst the bottle.

Anyhow, sorry to hear about your misfortune and I hope it didn't make too much mess.
Seabray Tank - picture log goo.gl/LpdhEO

All my advice is based on results I've observed in my own tanks in over 40 years of fish keeping, unless otherwise indicated.

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline steevwatson

• Thank You
    • -Given: 3
    • -Receive: 2
    « Reply #481 on: July 31, 2014, 11:47:49 pm »
    Yeah the actual bottle exploded. I was a little surprised myself. I was using a pressure gauge but hadn't checked it since Tue.  The pressure never normally goes above 3 BAR even with a new mixture and this one was over a week old. Not sure what the pressure was up to before the bottle burst but the gauge is stuck at 4.5 BAR even now. I was using the same kit as you from eBay. I'm just about to order another one.

On the plus side the mess wasn't to bad. Mostly contained inside the cabinet. May need to get the carpet shampooer out though.

Offline Munchy2007

• TFF Supporter
    • Thank You
    « Reply #482 on: August 01, 2014, 11:01:42 am »
    Glad to hear there wasn't too much mess :)

I assume you are also going to replace the pressure release valve as well as the gauge?

All my advice is based on results I've observed in my own tanks in over 40 years of fish keeping, unless otherwise indicated.

Offline steevwatson

• Thank You
    • -Given: 3
    • -Receive: 2
    « Reply #483 on: August 02, 2014, 11:04:15 am »
    Yeah I was lucky given how the bottle burst. Wish I had taken a picture to show you guys. The bottle was in bits it looked like it had been through a lawnmower.
    I will be replacing the release valve before use again. I'm just trying to find the reducing part.

Offline ajm83

• Thank You
    • -Given: 115
    • -Receive: 244
    « Reply #484 on: January 27, 2015, 03:15:32 pm »
    Could anybody kindly give me links to the correct parts I need for the pressure valve? It seems that the links for it on the front page are dead.

Here is what I guess is the right valve but I am not sure:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121487410494

Which adapter/reducer is needed?

Thanks

Also one other question - does this setup (i.e. needle valve etc) give you a constant output even though the levels of co2 from the yeast go up and down? Or does it do this by keeping the intermediate bottle at a constant(ish) pressure? (or does it not do so at all?)

Offline Munchy2007

• TFF Supporter
    • Thank You
    « Reply #485 on: January 27, 2015, 08:13:27 pm »
    Yes that is the correct pressure valve.

Reducing coupler http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-2-BSP-x-1-4-Tap-Connector-John-Guest-JG-RO-filter-Push-Fit-Genuine-/200792446220

Both of the above can be supplied by most plumbers merchants, might be worth having a word with your local one.

The output stays much more constant than traditional DIY CO2, due to the maintained pressure in the system. This was the overriding reason behind developing this setup.

Sadly I'm unable to update the original post as it's locked for editing. I did raise this with the forum mods and I was advised that it can't be changed :(

Offline ajm83

• Thank You
    « Reply #486 on: January 28, 2015, 09:19:39 am »
    Yes that is the correct pressure valve.

Reducing coupler http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-2-BSP-x-1-4-Tap-Connector-John-Guest-JG-RO-filter-Push-Fit-Genuine-/200792446220

Both of the above can be supplied by most plumbers merchants, might be worth having a word with your local one.

The output stays much more constant than traditional DIY CO2, due to the maintained pressure in the system. This was the overriding reason behind developing this setup.

Sadly I'm unable to update the original post as it's locked for editing. I did raise this with the forum mods and I was advised that it can't be changed :(

Thanks Munchy. I'm starting to get a tiny bit of BBA around the tank, so hopefully a more constant output will help eradicate that.

Interesting as well reading that steevwatson's bottle exploded. People on my mountainbike forum are using those as sort of homemade 'compressors' to seat tubeless tyres and running them welll over 100 PSI, some to 150 PSI. Though they are wrapping them in duct tape and then putting a cut-off jeans leg over the top in case of explosions! Quite remarkable that steev's system presumably reached those kind of pressures without the line splitting or any of the connectors failing...

Offline Munchy2007

• TFF Supporter
    • Thank You
    « Reply #487 on: January 29, 2015, 02:14:21 am »
    I was also somewhat surprised. I think the bottle must have had a flaw in it.

Offline ajm83

• Thank You
    « Reply #488 on: February 15, 2015, 10:14:35 am »
    My system pressurised itself up to just over 40PSI from a single 2L bottle over night which was great, but now my solenoid seems to be leaking around 1-2 BPS even when it's closed :(

I can't work out if an extra needle valve before the solenoid will help, or will the pressure just equalise to 40PSI on the other side of it anyway.
    I suppose normally a co2 regulators output must be quite a bit lower (or this Wyin solenoid I have is rubbish).

Offline Munchy2007

• TFF Supporter
    • Thank You
    « Reply #489 on: February 16, 2015, 10:07:07 am »
    It could be a faulty solenoid, or you may have it the wrong way around possibly.

A solenoid should be able to handle a pressure of 40PSI without any issues, an extra needle valve fitted inline before the solenoid is unnecessary and wouldn't help either.

Offline ajm83

• Thank You
    « Reply #490 on: February 16, 2015, 10:35:31 am »
    It could be a faulty solenoid, or you may have it the wrong way around possibly.

A solenoid should be able to handle a pressure of 40PSI without any issues, an extra needle valve fitted inline before the solenoid is unnecessary and wouldn't help either.

Ah, no instructions with it so didn't realise they were directional. That's probably it, thanks.

I should also say for anybody else reading who buys a Wyin solenoid from ebay to open it up and check the wiring inside. Mine was very loose. Could easily have been shorting away inside if I hadn't checked it.  :mad:
    Also they supplied it with an Aussie plug after I specifically checked with the seller that it would be a UK one. Idiots.

Wish I'd just paid a few quid extra and got one from a decent UK seller instead.

mtrueman

« Reply #491 on: February 18, 2015, 11:09:53 am »
    Thanks to everyone involved in this thread, its been real informative. I'm coming back to fishkeeping after a long hiatus. Last time i ran CO2 was in about 2002 and at that point i did try the DIY Co2 method but it was a lot more haphazard than this method (which i will be adopting with my new tank). I then switched to a full pressurized system using a welders co2 tank and was pretty successful.

One thing I have noticed is that back in the day it was recommended that you use champagne yeast but this method uses bread yeast. Is there any difference?

Offline ajm83

• Thank You
    « Reply #492 on: February 18, 2015, 12:09:06 pm »

Ah, no instructions with it so didn't realise they were directional. That's probably it, thanks.

Just for anybody else with the same issue, swapping round the inputs on the solenoid fixed it. :)

Offline MeenanS

• Thank You
    • -Given: 11
    • -Receive: 9
    « Reply #493 on: February 18, 2015, 01:06:44 pm »
    Thanks to everyone involved in this thread, its been real informative. I'm coming back to fishkeeping after a long hiatus. Last time i ran CO2 was in about 2002 and at that point i did try the DIY Co2 method but it was a lot more haphazard than this method (which i will be adopting with my new tank). I then switched to a full pressurized system using a welders co2 tank and was pretty successful.

One thing I have noticed is that back in the day it was recommended that you use champagne yeast but this method uses bread yeast. Is there any difference?

Champangne yeast can tolerate high levels of alcohol (byproduct of the reaction ) in the water they are kept in therefore last longer than say bakers yeast, I've been told that the cost of the champangne yeast isn't worth paying for the benefit.

Offline ajm83

• Thank You
    « Reply #494 on: March 02, 2015, 02:33:02 pm »
    Does anybody else find that you need to adjust the needle valve once or twice day to keep it set properly?

I've tried 2 needle valves, the new one being a good quality one from co2art so I'm hoping that's not the problem.