• Total Topics: 70264
  • Online Today: 48
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 60
Total: 60

Author Topic: Yo Yo's eating my Tiger Barbs?  (Read 913 times)

Offline oxo77

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Yo Yo's eating my Tiger Barbs?
« on: September 11, 2014, 09:29:08 pm »
Hey everyone long time no type, such a busy life!

My tank is a Rio 240 fully planted tank which is home to 3 YoYo's and 18 Tiger Barbs (now down to11)
Water is spot on as always 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite 40ppm Nitrate, I no longer fertalise and I'm running DIY Co2 with Ph at 7.  The last fish added where the YoYo's a about 9 months ago??? not sure lol.  I feed 2-3 cubes of frozen food daily usually at 6pm when I get home and once a week add a little cucumber / pepper for the loaches.

Anyway I have a problem, over the last 3 months I have been losing Tiger Barbs on a more and more regular basis at first my smaller barbs were vanishing, I started to think it was the larger Barbs bullying the younger ones and then they were getting eaten during the night.  Lately I'm losing one nearly every week!  I managed to find one 'injured' with a few scales missing around the base of his tale.  Ive quarantined him and hes making a full recovery.  Today however I have 3 more injured Barbs 1 is the ring leader and all 3 are the larger Barbs I have which pretty much throws my bullying / natural aggression theory out of the window.  I have 1 with nipped tail fin, 1 with a missing dorsal fin and 1 with a very sore looking red patch of missing scales down his middle flank. 

My question is could this be the Yo Yo Loaches?  All seems relatively calm during the daylight hours but from what I can see the Yoyo's are very active at night in the vicinity of the barbs as they sleep.

Any thoughts on this?
Ian

<a href="https://www.tropicalfishforums.co.uk/index.php?topic=35109.0/">Rio 240 Tiger Barb Tank.</a>

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline looking-glass

• Thank You
    • -Given: 34
    • -Receive: 72
    Re: Yo Yo's eating my Tiger Barbs?
    « Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 09:32:48 pm »
    If it does turn out to be the yo yo's maybe try going for cories instead :) although I'm sure catching them will be fun in that tank :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    looking at your tank is far better than looking at your tv

Offline oxo77

• Thank You
    « Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 09:34:01 pm »
    Only photo I can get as there flying around far too quick
    Ian

<a href="https://www.tropicalfishforums.co.uk/index.php?topic=35109.0/">Rio 240 Tiger Barb Tank.</a>

Offline leeanne

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 100
    • -Receive: 818
    • I need a bigger tank!
    « Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 09:42:19 pm »
    I wouldnt of thought the yoyos would be attacking & eating them but they do like bigger groups, tigers can be fiesty buggers maybe bossy one doesnt like newbies? also you feed 2-3 cubes a day! How much much for thats a lot of food! Do you test regular
    Roma 240:  Angels tank
    6ft: Discus, Red head Geos, Phantom plecs
    200l work tank:  Keyhole Cichlid, dwarf rainbows, loads of cory and a BN

Offline oxo77

• Thank You
    « Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 10:04:12 pm »
    I test water monthly as its such a stable tank and has been established for a long time now.  The Tigers eat like there is no tomorrow and there is never any food left I worry there isn't enough to go round and did wonder if that leading to canibalism.

If it does turn out to be the yo yo's maybe try going for cories instead :) although I'm sure catching them will be fun in that tank :)

As much as I love Cory's I want to keep this as a more South East Asian tank and no I dont fancy trying to catch anything in this tank lol there all too damn quick *grin*

Ian

Offline looking-glass

• Thank You
    • -Given: 34
    • -Receive: 72
    « Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 10:51:51 pm »
    That's a fair point :) have you seen the loaches being aggressive maybe it would help if you added to their numbers too the aggression might spread out between themselves then :)

looking at your tank is far better than looking at your tv

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 162
    • -Receive: 6657
    • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
    « Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 09:09:04 am »
    Yo-yos don't normally attack live fish, unless they're breeding, and I doubt they're old enough for that yet, unless they're over 5".
    I would still think you have some aggressive barbs who are trying to alter the pecking order as they mature. It's also possible that there are too many males for the amount of females which can also cause problems. Have you noticed any spawning behaviour?
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
    I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
    Ian

Offline oxo77

• Thank You
    « Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 11:45:46 pm »
    No there still young Ian about 3".
    You might be on to something with the female to male ratio though can't believe I didn't think about that.  Will have a head count tomorrow.  No spawning behaviour that I've seen but there is a battle going on now for the alpha position.
    Ian

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 162
    • -Receive: 6657
    • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
    « Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 09:11:52 am »
    It's very unusual for it to be so aggressive with more than 10 fish, but then they ain't called tigers for no reason...... ;) I think, in this case, it's probably fighting over females as I suggested before.
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
    I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
    Ian