Forum > Fish food, feeding and diet

how to make food for vegetarian "plecs"

(1/3) > >>

wijnands:
1. I start out by collecting the stems from cauliflower and broccoli which we eat when they are in season. They will keep for a week in the fridge but you can also freeze them.

To that I add some nettle (warning, do not add the stems!) but you could also use dandelion leafs and just enough water to cover the bottom of the pan and keep it from burning. Boil it all until it goes a bit soft. You could also microwave it I suppose.

2. Now add a handful of frozen spinach. The cheap supermarket's own brand is fine for this just read the label to see nothing else has been added.

3. let these melt and then get out your particle accelerator.

4. until you got a smooth paste that looks a bit like pesto

5. Time to get out your agar. This is a vegetarian gelling agent made from seaweed. It's sold in various forms, I prefer these little sachets. The back of the pack will usually have directions on how to make jam (how much to use and how long to cook it for). Follow the instructions but add about 50% more agar to your green gloop than you'd use for jam.

6. I also like to stir in some parsley,dried will do.

7. Once you take it off the heat stir in a bit of protein. I always got frozen cyclops or daphina so I use a few cubes of that, if you don't have it you could use some flake. You could also add a few bits of frozen fish or seafood  in step 3 but that will smell. I also add some dried or fresh garlic to make it smellier and more easily found by the fish.

8. Pour into a mould of some kind and allow it to cool and set. (line with clingfilm!)

9. After it's cooled down to room temp keep it in the fridge for an  hour or so and then carve into cubes the size of a teaspoon. Put the cubes in the freezer but shake the bag or the container in which you store them well after about 2 hours freezing, will help keep them separated.

10. Feed straight from the freezer. It will thaw and release some bits which most mid-water fish will pick up and it will sink in  minutes.

turbo200:
Very good I think I will try this for my plecs :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plankton:
Thank you - stickied :)

audigex:
I wonder if anyone's tried doing this but spreading the paste on a rock to create fake aufwuchs/algea for pleco and grazer type fish? With a bit of spirulina this could be ideal for Mbuna

Drunken horse:

--- Quote from: audigex on March 03, 2015, 10:00:49 am ---I wonder if anyone's tried doing this but spreading the paste on a rock to create fake aufwuchs/algea for pleco and grazer type fish? With a bit of spirulina this could be ideal for Mbuna

--- End quote ---
Think I'll try that for my otos

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version