• Total Topics: 70248
  • Online Today: 85
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 53
Total: 53

Author Topic: Fish overstocking  (Read 1541 times)

Ian1943

Fish overstocking
« on: January 15, 2008, 12:31:44 pm »
Hi You may be interested in this. Not exactlu tropical but I had a part time job on a fish farm breeding Koi carp.
These were in an indoor unit in a poly tunnel. They had perhaps 30 fish each in old ex concentrated orange juce tanks with the top cut off.
They were constantly filtered by power (and I mean power) pumped water that was discharged into a trough that conneced all the tanks (say two rows of 10 ) it was discharged int a tank and pumped under pressure up a 'u' bend say 20 foot high with a large air pump and stone in the bottom.
Each tank would be 8 foot diamiter and 10 foot deep and contained 30 carp all 2/3 foot long.
I was told they can do this because the water was so good though it was so mudded you could only see two foot down. They grew a grass carp from a few inches to 48lb in three of four years for a fishing club.
Each tank had a clockwork trout pellet feeder which feed them perminantly.
My job was to keep the feeders going 24/7 and once a week catch a sample and weigh them dressed in fishermens waterproof gear to calculate growth, great fun.

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline clownman

• Thank You
    • -Given: 13
    • -Receive: 30
    Fish overstocking
    « Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 12:53:51 pm »
    trout pellets do cloud the water from all of the oils and proteins they contain… hence the reason a lot of fisheries have banned anglers from using them
    yep… im like a bad smell

Ian1943

Breeding Koi
    « Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 03:13:03 pm »
    Thanks for your reply. You may be interested in how we spawned the fish. We had a tank of water with an anesthetic added and put the fish under after injecting the female with patuitary extract ( concentrated sex hormone) that we imported from the states ( it always had been opened by the customs and wondered if they licked it!).
    We then striped both male and female mixed it with a speciol fertilizing solution and could raise 2500 without any problem.
    Has this ever been tried with large dificult to spawn tropicals?
    Thanks - Ian

Offline clownman

• Thank You
    • -Given: 13
    • -Receive: 30
    Fish overstocking
    « Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 03:40:33 pm »
    i believe a lot of asian fish farms spawn clowns using a hormone, so thats probably a yes
    yep… im like a bad smell

Offline cabbie

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 0
    • -Receive: 1
    Fish overstocking
    « Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 04:16:04 pm »
    czech republic do this i believe. they are a massive producer of tropical fish

Ian1943

Fish overstocking
    « Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 03:04:18 pm »
    You may be interested that this ( the fish farm,was the place where they found the first murdered Ipswich prostitute. The river takes a bend at the bottom of the fen and always floods at this time of year. It was probably dumped where the river crosses the road further up stream