• Total Topics: 70247
  • Online Today: 78
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 44
Total: 45

Author Topic: Earphones and skullcandy  (Read 861 times)

Offline joev789

• Est. Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Earphones and skullcandy
« on: December 16, 2009, 04:38:58 pm »
 For those of you who value your music, I don't want any old budget earphones I'm looking for some ones that deliver good sound not too expensive... Was wondering if skullcandy are any good, I've always been put off by the colours but if so what ones are good?
Joe *crazy*

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

k.bod

Re: Earphones and skullcandy
    « Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 09:50:50 pm »
    hi joe my lot have the skull candy ear phones and theyre great or so im told ,my hubby has the large ones headphone type and kids have the earphone type ..for normal volume headphones good for the pumping sounds im told the earphone ones are best ,mine have the gold big headset type and the jamacan eaphone type ..however kids prefer those ones that are squishy that go inside the ear and so use the earphone type but i did see some very good value ones in tkmax at less than half the price
    ..so tell santa to take a peak for you xx kaz xx

Offline joev789

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 09:54:22 pm »
     Cheers, I listen to quite a demanding and strangely looked at music, skullcandy are ok for general music listeners. I've found for earphones best budget ones being Sony's MDR-EX35 and headphones being Sony's MDR-V150 and The Wesc BONGO'S....

I heard alot of people saying going things about skullcandy's "Ink'd" but appparently they have short lifespan.
    Joe *crazy*

k.bod

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 10:09:08 pm »
    no prob joe xx ours have been fine and are still going strong and hubby is into all that rap and loud strange stuff and blasts it out hence me getting him the headphones so im guessing they will be suitable for you ..my hubby said in the new edition of the stuff magazine it has all the top head/earphones available and write up on them so maybe worth a read.

Offline joev789

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 10:11:11 pm »
     It's not rap I'm on about, it's drum and bass...fish seem to like it too  *laugh* It'd take abit of depth explaining why skullcandy arn't amazing.
    Joe *crazy*

k.bod

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 10:21:17 pm »
    lol no my hubbys into rap i just mean its sounds fine blasting it out weve never had a prob so cant fault them as yet ...

Offline CATFISH mick

• TFF Staff/Love Aquascaping
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 5
    • -Receive: 9
    « Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 11:25:45 am »
    Hi Joe,

If you could strech the budget a little further, not much though I'd certainly audition the Audio Technica ATH-ES7, Beautiful headphone for the price, punches waaaaay above it's price point. Needs about 200 hrs burn in though, so initial impressions will be a little lackluster. Great bass response, they may in fact seem a little bloated at first, but settle down and tighten right up with burn in. Mids are a little forward and perhaps a little thin, but with nice inner detail. Very comfortable to wear for hours on end and also very portable. All in all exceptional BANG for BUCK!!

headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=226

Cheers Mick

Offline CATFISH mick

• Thank You
    « Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 12:21:45 pm »
    Grado SR80I  will knock! your socks off for the money, very good heaphone. Easy to drive use them on your Ipod or computer. Typical grado sound signature, full, rich, detailed sound at a very reasonable price. These would be in my top 5 budget heaphones list.

Offline CATFISH mick

• Thank You
    « Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 12:51:55 pm »
    Now if you got a part time job? or Mum and Dad pay a good pocket money wage? Geez I'd wash my Dad's car every week for 3 months to get a pair of these babies! And yes they are Ear buds.  The Grado GR8 In-Ear Headphone. IMO these little STUNNERS!! have the best Mid range in the Business, vocals are simply wonderful, every breath, can be heard, right down to hearing tongue on back of teeth and roof of the mouth, simply STUNNING!! A little hard to drive at 120 Ohm's, but they have higher sensitivity on there side at 118dB 1w/1m  So you need to turn the wick up on the Ipod a little bit more. SIT BACK AND ENJOY straight out of the box, Earbuds have NEVER been this GOOD let me tell YA!

www.musicdirect.com/product/86060

Offline joev789

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 07:31:07 pm »
     I'm sticking with Sony's MDR-EX35 for now, then the MDR-V150 followed by wesc's bongo's however looking at those Grado GR8 seem to go down amazing, will be looking into them once I have my paper round  *rolleyes*
    Joe *crazy*

Offline joev789

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 03:55:31 pm »
     Mick you say these Audio Technica ATH-ES7 are really that good? Are they over ear on on ear? Reckon I'm getting better value than £15 for Sony's MDR-V150's? Really considering them after looking at what you and other people have said.
    Joe *crazy*

Offline CATFISH mick

• Thank You
    « Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 04:56:28 am »
    Hi Joe,

Nice choice with the Sony MDR-V150  *dude*, very hard to beat for the price in a DJ style headphone. I think for value for money sound wise they 'KILL' anything from Skullcandy. They are however a little fragile and tend to break at the point where the ear pad meets the headband, so treat them kindly, but for 15 quid buying another pair isn't really a problem.

Are the Audio Technica ATH-ES7's any better?

IMHO 'Yes' in all areas of the musical spectrum.

They are a DJ style headphone like the Sony's, they are 5-6 times the price, but that doesn't equate to being 5 times better in sound quality. They do however extend both in high/low fequencies allot further than the sony's They have a higher impedance, which means they are a little harder to 'drive' than the sony's, but they make up for this with a higher sensitivity. Perfect for Ipod of computer soundcard listening. They are not an overly 'Bass Heavy' headphone, the best way to descibe it would be the bass seems to be further back within the soundstage, more 'Laid back' or 'Veiled'. plenty of top end, although mild and nice somewhat more 'forward' midrange.

The build quality is 'Beautiful' and they can take a pounding, very rugged, although the shiny earcaps are fingerprint and scratch magnets. Great looks, comfortable to wear for extended periods. They are foldable and come with carry pouch and polishing cloth, so a bit of added value there.

If I had to do a direct comparison between Sony's MDR-V150 and Audio Technica ATH-ES7, which would be unfair. The AT would win hands down, but so they should given the price and build quality. A more fair comparison would be the Sony MDR-V700DJ Vs the ATH-ES7. Both of which I own and use. The ATH-ES7 wins, but only just.

Offline ClothahumpDisabled

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 18
    • -Receive: 37
    « Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 08:58:20 am »
    Never crossed my mind there would be that much difference in head phones, I had a cracking pair made by Sony in 1978, they were massive, it was a bit like having two decent speakers strapped to your head with big slider controls on the side.
    Please do not Private Message me with fish keeping questions, put them in the Forums.