• Total Topics: 70247
  • Online Today: 83
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 34
Total: 34

Author Topic: Dead Apistogramma Aggassizii  (Read 1000 times)

Curalingua

Dead Apistogramma Aggassizii
« on: December 31, 2009, 01:47:04 am »
Hi
I have a 60l (2ft length) tank and had a pair of Aggassizii and 8 Cardinal Neon Tetra's.

The tank was moved (complete with filter media kept wet in tank water) to mine about 2 months ago but had been set up for over a year. It remained cycled with it's stock intact (it was over stocked). The stock were removed to a bigger tank about 3 weeks ago and replaced with the above stock.

Ammonia and nitrites have always remained at o.
Nitrates around 5-20 (my tap water is 7).
Weekly 10-20% water changes.
pH is between 7.6-7.8.
Med-hard water (although not tested)
temp 78 F

My female aggie died today. She has been unwell for a couple of days not eating and kind of floating around the filter. No signs of any infection. She was a very bright orangey yellow when I got her and I was told that was her breeding colour. They have both been quite shy but now the male wont come out of the coconut cave not even to feed. I have to drop feed to the edge of the cave and he will pop his head out just enough to reach a bit, but not much.

I did a 50% water change today. Hope that was okay and didnt stress the male out more. He hid in his cave throughout.

What should I do? I have made enquires about females but they are quite hard to get on their own, they are usually sold in pairs and in any case none of my LFS have any in stock. I am also worried in case she had an infection although the Tetra seem fine the male Aggie is not acting normally (or maybe he, just missing her).

I know the pH is a bit high and they prefer softer water but they were sold as tank bred and used to these conditions.

Any ideas?
E.g.
Wait for couple of weeks to make sure no infections
Daily 10% water changes
Widen my search and go out and hunt down a new female or 2  (will my tank take 2 females?).

Sorry lots of questions

Thanks for reading and any help.

Happy New Year

Fiona

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline Vale!

• TFF Staff retired & Supporter
    • TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 25
    • -Receive: 522
    Re: Dead Apistogramma Aggassizii
    « Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 02:09:32 am »
    Yo Fiona!

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.  From your informative description it sounds as though everything's right ... apart from, strictly speaking as you say, the water's hardness and pH. 

Apistos don't live too long : maybe two years on average? Do you know how old she was when you got her? Or perhaps she was just a physiologically-weak individual? Or maybe a combination of both?

So far as I'm aware, aggies can be kept as a harem but your tank is pushing the limit of sufficient territory for two females. I guess if there's lots of decor/plants to break lines of sight, you might just get away with it.  But I think you'd be better off with replacing the singleton female.

Just had a quick squizzie at tropicalfishfinder and the nearest place to you that currently claims to have aggies is Maidenhead Aquatics in Cambridge. Always best to phone first (in case they haven't updated their website since the old king died).  The link is: http://www.tropicalfishfinder.co.uk/shops_detail.asp?id=125.

Good luck with your hunt!

Best

Yo' Man

Curalingua

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 09:30:56 am »
    Thanks Man

Very worried about the male though. He won't come out of the cave. Just lifted it and he still refused. He is still alive and looks an okay colour, maybe a little dull. He really isn't eating though.

Fiona

Offline Vale!

• TFF Staff retired & Supporter
    • TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 25
    • -Receive: 522
    « Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 12:46:20 pm »
    Yo Fiona!

IMO his behaviour could well be natural. It might be a case of : no women to boss around and no chance of nookie ; or no threats to go out and deal with. Why bother to move too much? He may just be doing the fishy equivalent of hunkering down on the sofa with a beer and Match of the Day!

Of course that doesn't exclude the possibility of some latent pathogen - it just seems the most likely explanation to me (Occam's Razor an' all that!).

Best

Yo' Man

Curalingua

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 07:37:35 am »
    Happy new year to you Man.
    I agree, i'd go for the simple explaination any time. in this case I need the wise thoughts of you all to make the best judgement for my Aggie.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Fiona