• Total Topics: 70247
  • Online Today: 65
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 33
Total: 34

Author Topic: First Tank Log - LittleTinca  (Read 228 times)

Little.Tinca

First Tank Log - LittleTinca
« on: February 09, 2015, 08:07:46 pm »
Hi everyone,

I've been a long time browser of this site & have finally decided to sign-up & join in the conversation.  *2116*

I've decided to make a log of my venture into new things, & my tank of choice has been my longest serving tank of 120 litres. This shoddy old tank may have been a part of my household for 12 years but it's always done it's job! For the majority of these 12 years I've always been a low tech kind of aquarist. I've always had the hardy, simple to keep fish & I've always kept my tanks to a relatively low maintenance standard. It's always been plastic plants, internal filters, weekly water changes & that's about it. I've always browsed the net & have simply been in awe at some of the aquariums I've seen, so now I've decided I want to take my hobby to the next level.

So, hopefully there's the pic of my tank in it's current state attached here somewhere. Maybe I should've taken a picture last week before I made any changes, but I didn't, so this is all I have. I've done away with all the plastic plants & cheap looking ornaments, only leaving my Red Tailed Black Shark's home in there. I've got 4 small to medium pieces of bogwood currently on the floor awaiting repositioning. I've also made the transition from a small internal Fluval 2 Plus filter to a Jebao 503 external canister filter. This is all set-up & working. I've recently rehomed a number of my fish & I'm currently left with my RTBS, 3 common Plecs (approx. 3in), & 7 Peppered Cory's which were actually bred & born in my tank unintentionally.

What I am hoping to achieve is a really natural looking tank which is something I've never had before. In my mind, I'm imagining a tank which would actually look like the bottom of a river bed or lake where most of our beloved tropical fish are from. Additionally, I'd perhaps like a couple of really nice fish, almost trophy fish which are something a bit out of the ordinary. Something different to the Livebearers, Tetra's & Barb's which I'm used to. But, before I get into planting etc, I'd be really interested to here other people's thoughts on what I could perhaps do with this tank & what sort of species I could consider?

I'm going to have a play around with the bogwood either tonight or tomorrow & I'll post some pics to see what people's thoughts on the positioning are.

That's all for now!

Luke

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 162
    • -Receive: 6657
    • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
    Re: First Tank Log - LittleTinca
    « Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 09:12:07 am »
    Looks like a good base. :)
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
    I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
    Ian