• Total Topics: 70296
  • Online Today: 115
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 86
Total: 86

Author Topic: MattHunt's Combined Tank Logs  (Read 67132 times)

Offline MattHunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 336
  • -Receive: 131
Re: MattHunt's Combined Tank Logs
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2015, 04:03:21 pm »
So MTS has begun, although I think the infection will be stopped at 2 (honest) and over the weekend a Fluval 125l tank arrived in the living room.

I've always liked 'natural' aquariums and having read about Walsted tanks and seen photographs of well planted tanks, there was only one way to go. Since this tank is housing our two grumpy dwarf gourami I am planning on an Asian theme to it although I am here to enjoy this hobby in the same way that I enjoy scale modelling without fretting exactly how many bolts are each road wheel of a late Panther D....

Back on topic Matthew...

Tank has an inch of John Innes No3 covered by 1/2 - 1 inch of round grained sand. I put 30l of water in, tap safe'd and then left it for 24 hours to check for leaks.

I then raided the LFS at Knights Woldingham and PAH in Redhill and have planted out the background and midground before filling the remainder of the tank.

At the moment we have Java fern, vallisneria spiralis, cryptocoryne  and I am going to take a cutting from the Limnophilia aquatica in the 45l tank. The lights are running 5 hours on, 4 off, 5 on.

After more tapsafe and a respite for it to do what it needs to do, the filter went in and some 'starting bacteria'. The Fluval U3 had been running in the other tank for a week so start off a 'friendly bacteria' population.

Temp is nicely at 26 degrees, and after 2 days of the two dwarf gourami and 2 red spotted nerites we have nitrites but oddly no nitrates since the water from the tap in our area is from memory quite well stocked with the stuff. I am going to a better test kit this weekend but I am wondering if the fairly heavy planting and bacteria in the soil have just eradicated it? The plants have visibly grown in the three days and fresh roots can be seen however I do not think the tank has enough plants to do that yet.

I'll post a picture this evening.

In the meantime I am wondering about stocking. I am planning to 'layer' the fish with the gourami as upper-mid. I was looking at 8 or more zebra danio for the upper level but seem to be finding more articles about them being quite aggressive. I might ditch that and look for 5 glass cat-fish.

For the bottom end I was looking at 8 Adolfus cory or Cherry Barb.

I also need to find some long pieces of wood and ideally a root cluster to offer hiding spaces.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 04:36:49 pm by MattHunt »
T1 45l: 5 neon tetra, 7 glowlight tetra, 2 Otos, 3 Pygmy Cory plants, shrimp, snails.
T2 180l: 10 Harlequin Rasbora, 1 SAE, 4x3 Spot Gourami, 4 Otos, 7 Glass cats, plants.
T3 180l: Common Plec, Sailfin Molly, 9 Forktail rainbow, 5x3 lined Cory

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline Europa

• Thank You
    • -Given: 16
    • -Receive: 26
    « Reply #31 on: June 24, 2015, 04:57:21 pm »
    It sounds great- I am loving the idea of John Innes no. 3 covered in sand. Please excuse my ignorance, bit of a newbie to it all, but doesn't the soil get mixed with the sand? And how will you clean it, will it not go up the cleaning pipe? I am becoming very interested in natural aquascaping so looking forward to hearing how you progress.
    I have had my keyboard fixed, and now I can type as many A's as I want. AAAAA. Yep, it works.

Offline MattHunt

• Thank You
    « Reply #32 on: June 24, 2015, 05:38:27 pm »
    So am I!

At the moment, soil first, gently pat down, add sand, shape sand a bit, and then get a saucer, pour water into that and move the saucer around so the water running off the edge does not erode the sand away.

I got a bit vigourous at first and had to do some emergency filling to prevent things all going a bit wrong. After the first 30l, I ran the hose pipe in the house, removed the end and got a gentle flow going under the water with the mouth of the pipe pointed slighly aboe the horizontal.

According to the internet, if you mineralise the soil, you greatly  reduce the chances ofit floating off!

When I had finished there were fine particles of soil dusting the sand, but within 36 hours the two snails had sorted that out. It was quite fun following the tracks!

If I've understood this all, there will be little hoovering since the bacteria and 'clean-up' crew will get most of that....I shall find out....  *blink*
    T1 45l: 5 neon tetra, 7 glowlight tetra, 2 Otos, 3 Pygmy Cory plants, shrimp, snails.
    T2 180l: 10 Harlequin Rasbora, 1 SAE, 4x3 Spot Gourami, 4 Otos, 7 Glass cats, plants.

Offline Europa

• Thank You
    • -Given: 16
    • -Receive: 26
    « Reply #33 on: June 24, 2015, 05:53:51 pm »
    It's going to look great! Good luck with it  thumbsup
    I have had my keyboard fixed, and now I can type as many A's as I want. AAAAA. Yep, it works.

Offline MattHunt

• Thank You
    « Reply #34 on: June 24, 2015, 09:01:36 pm »

PH7
    Temp 26
    NO2 zero
    NO3 <25mg/L
    Kh 3
    Gh 10

Added a small amount of bicarb.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    « Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 09:16:03 pm by MattHunt »

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 162
    • -Receive: 6657
    • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
    « Reply #35 on: June 25, 2015, 09:15:56 am »
    Some of the roots need burying a bit deeper. so you can still see the "crown", but they'll take better.
    Otherwise, looking good :)
    I would suggest you dump some elodea or similar in as well, as they tend to take up the toxins quicker than a lot of other plants, just until the others are established properly. You can leave them floating if you want, short-term. :)
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
    I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
    Ian

Offline MattHunt

• Thank You
    « Reply #36 on: June 25, 2015, 10:06:16 am »
    Thanks.

I'll garden tonight and get some elodea  on Saturday.   I also need to find a LFS selling Java Moss and Cryptocoryne wentii

Offline MattHunt

• Thank You
    « Reply #37 on: June 26, 2015, 08:01:30 pm »
    Hmm. ..NO2 is up at 0.5 and NO3 between 25-50 mg/L.  Ph 6.8 and Kh at 3.

Still, the tyre track nerits are busy.

Offline Eutexian

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 26
    • -Receive: 189
    « Reply #38 on: June 26, 2015, 08:19:55 pm »
    This all seems strangely familiar.  *grin*

more plants. more fast growing plants.. even if only temporarily. for the first couple of months. floating plants too. though i would avoid 'Duckweed' - mainly because its very difficult to get rid of once you have it. water fern and frogbit do well.. water lettuce does well too.

more plants.

did i mention 'more plants'?

and just so theres no mistake.. ADD MORE PLANTS.

just so you can see where this can lead if you leave things to work themselves out.

at 5 days.

at 1 month.

at 3 months.

(I have an elodea farm in progress to get the new tank off to a good start.)
    « Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 08:25:29 pm by Eutexian »
    Tell me Im right and I'll thank you.

Tell me I'm wrong and demonstrate why? and I'll REALLY thank you.

Offline MattHunt

• Thank You
    « Reply #39 on: June 26, 2015, 09:32:08 pm »
    Strangely enough I printed off a shopping list yesterday of.....

Plants. For tomorrow 8)

Offline MattHunt

• Thank You
    « Reply #40 on: June 27, 2015, 07:53:42 pm »
    And the lfs had none.

Joy.

However I bought 2 healthy derivative of Spear I think. The elodea clusters all looked a bit tired.

Ammonia is 0.25.
    NO2 is 0.5
    Nitrate is 25-50 ( the joy of test sticks).

Offline MattHunt

• Thank You
    « Reply #41 on: June 28, 2015, 06:59:47 pm »
    Okay Confession to make.

To stock the tank I was going to include glass catfish.  When I went into Knights Godstone in the morning they had five in stock.  In the afternoon they had four so the reminder were in a small show box tank with below recommended shoal size.

I bought them and they are now living amongst the vegetation where the current from the filter bounces off the tank wall.

Tomorrow I am hunting for two more so they have a proper shoal.

This is not my most cunning moment but I felt sorry for them.

And just done 20% water change.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 08:17:10 pm by MattHunt »

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 162
    • -Receive: 6657
    • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
    « Reply #42 on: June 29, 2015, 07:35:38 am »
    Just keep your eye on everything.
    Glass cats aren't the hardiest of fish, so any toxins could well be a problem.
    Did you get any extra elodea to take up the nasties?
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
    I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
    Ian

Offline MattHunt

• Thank You
    « Reply #43 on: June 29, 2015, 12:25:25 pm »
    Hi,

Still on the list, the elodea at the closest LFS is all in precut bunches and both of their plant tanks on Saturday looked manky. We never got to the second option because our rabbits fell ill.

Did get a better testing kit though.

Time allowing I am hoping to get to the Aquatic centre near Oxford St on the way home....

Characterwise, they are rather endearing, I just need to find them a friend to get the shoal to five.

Offline MattHunt

• Thank You
    « Reply #44 on: June 30, 2015, 02:45:33 pm »
    We've been feeding blood worms as treats and the Neon Tetras have really picked up in colour. If I get the chance I'll take some pictures tonight. At the weekend I think I'll add a few plants to the rear and get some supplement tablets to bury in the substrate.