• Total Topics: 70264
  • Online Today: 48
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 53
Total: 53

Author Topic: Striped Pygmy loach going nuts  (Read 1071 times)

Offline DazedAndConfused

• Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 4
Striped Pygmy loach going nuts
« on: June 26, 2015, 10:53:30 pm »
Hi all
Just moved some of my existing stock into my newly cycled tank following triple zeros over 24 hours and the massive water change. Water perimeters are all fine.
All fish seem settled after an hour or so in the new tank except my striped Pygmy loach.
All 6 of them look like they're having a huge game of chase, zipping across the tank at super speed then constantly swimming up and down the right hand size of the tank almost to the brim and back down again in one big group. Part of me is panicking incase this isn't good behaviour but the other half is hoping that prior to this they were stuck in a relatively small tank which was well past its sell by date matinence wise and now they have all this space to rush about in and explore they're doing just that.
Could be optimistic thinking but I can't help myself as all the other fish seem fine. Particularly their fellow bottom dwellers 4 corys who are snuffling about at their usual pace sand shifting except for the odd dart to the surface for air which I'm used to seeing anyway (this tank is also much deeper than the last which I'm sure will require some getting used to for the bottom dwellers)

What does everyone reckon? These are the only loaches I've had and I'm unsure what to think about this behaviour
Fluval Roma
Angelfish, Gold Ram, German Blue Ram, Rummy Nose Tetra, Black Bar Endlers, Sterbai Corys, Striped Pygmy Loaches, Gold Nugget Pleco.

Fluval Edge
1 Halfmoon Betta (Lancelot) 1 Zebra Snail.

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline Drunken horse

• Thank You
    • -Given: 328
    • -Receive: 507
    Re: Striped Pygmy loach going nuts
    « Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 11:51:52 pm »
    Loaches fly all over a tank chasing each other its natural behaviour.  They should be spending more time at the bottom of the tank and very little at the surface though.

How do you get oxygen into the tank?

Offline DazedAndConfused

• Thank You
    « Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 12:01:14 am »
    I have a Venturi on the top of my fluval U3 that is fully open blowing air bubbles in and lots of surface movement. I also have a few live plants

Phew to the natural behaviour. In the previous tank they were relatively subdued just traipsing around with the corys. They look to be having a lot more fun now fingers crossed
    Fluval Roma
    Angelfish, Gold Ram, German Blue Ram, Rummy Nose Tetra, Black Bar Endlers, Sterbai Corys, Striped Pygmy Loaches, Gold Nugget Pleco.

Fluval Edge

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 162
    • -Receive: 6657
    • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
    « Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 09:28:16 am »
    I find most bottom dwellers tend to go a bit bonkers as they find more room.
    The main reason is to make sure they're safe in the new place (no predators), the other is to explore.
    Fresh water may also put them "in the mood" temporarily as well.
    I'm intrigued, I don't know of a "striped pygmy loach" is it ambastaia nigrolineata, which are lovely? :)
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
    I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
    Ian

Offline blackghost

• Thank You
    • -Given: 84
    • -Receive: 360
    « Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 11:00:44 am »
    They're just stretching their legs.

Sounds like you don't have enough oxygen for the Corys, as breathing air isn't compulsory for them and they only do it if they need to. How big is the tank?

Offline Drunken horse

• Thank You
    • -Given: 328
    • -Receive: 507
    « Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 11:26:31 am »

Sounds like you don't have enough oxygen for the Corys, as breathing air isn't compulsory for them and they only do it if they need to. How big is the tank?

Cories dart even in very well oxygenated water. Its part of their natural behaviour it just shouldnt be frequent.
    « Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 11:30:47 am by Drunken horse »

Offline blackghost

• Thank You
    • -Given: 84
    • -Receive: 360
    « Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 11:39:59 am »

Cories dart even in very well oxygenated water. Its part of their natural behaviour it just shouldnt be frequent.

They go up for air rarely if at all in very well oxygenated water. The more oxygen in the water, the longer a 'breath' will last them. If they're doing it regularly then there's a bit of a shortage.
    « Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 11:58:02 am by blackghost »

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 02:06:00 pm »
    The gut-breathing isn't just for oxygen, it's for other purposes as well, including digestion and bouyancy. ;)
    They, er, expel it anally afterwards.....
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*

Take it easy
    Ian

Offline DazedAndConfused

• Thank You
    « Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 02:42:32 pm »
    I find most bottom dwellers tend to go a bit bonkers as they find more room.
    The main reason is to make sure they're safe in the new place (no predators), the other is to explore.
    Fresh water may also put them "in the mood" temporarily as well.
    I'm intrigued, I don't know of a "striped pygmy loach" is it ambastaia nigrolineata, which are lovely? :)

I believe they are either Yunnanilus cruciatus/ micronemacheilus cruciatus Ian - I'd never seen them before when I bought them but I've had them well over a year now. I have a group of 6 moved now into the larger tank. And yes they did get a bit frisky so clearly it wasn't an oxygen issue! Theyre back to normal now but still doing a bit of darting to and fro which is nice to see.
    Fluval Roma

Fluval Edge

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #9 on: June 28, 2015, 09:12:39 am »
    Lovely. :)
    I believe they're now known only in loach circles as the y. cruciatus (sounds like a Harry Potter spell to me). :)

Take it easy
    Ian