• Total Topics: 70247
  • Online Today: 83
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 43
Total: 43

Author Topic: 350 Litre tank 121cm x 56cm x 66cm How much gravel?  (Read 3191 times)

lindylindylindy

350 Litre tank 121cm x 56cm x 66cm How much gravel?
« on: July 06, 2010, 01:39:32 pm »
Hi, i am a newbie to your site  *dontknow* i have bought myself a Juwel Rio 300 and i am trying to guestimate how much pea gravel should i purchase to cover bottom of tank?

In fact i am not sure what to put in the bottom or from where, so please any advise would be great. I want a natural looking tank no bright colours, oh and i know this is a tropical site but the tank will bbe cold water and home to fancy Goldfish  *fish2* *fish2*

I do have 3 Tropical tanks so dont worry the questions will come thick and fast  ;)

Thank you in advance  *frantic*

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline drain_bamaged

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 0
    • -Receive: 4
    Re: 350 Litre tank 121cm x 56cm x 66cm How much gravel?
    « Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 02:44:31 pm »
    As a rule natural plants and Goldfish don't mix well in tanks so i am assuming you don't need a particularly deep layer of substrate for plants to root, have you thought about the cheap playsand from Argos, it can be prone to packing down tightly and needs a regular stir when it's deeper but i wouldn't think you would have that problem with just 1/2 to 1 inch of it.

John

lindylindylindy

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 09:59:29 am »
    Hi never thought of sand and yes no plants, i have purchased silk plants for the coverage... I have bought 20 kg of pea gravel but it wont go very far, so i may mix with the sand... I love forums always full of great ideas. Argos play sand  *applause* would never have thought it!

Thank you very much

lindylindylindy

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 03:06:20 pm »
    OK STUPID QUESTION NUMBER ONE  *crazy* *dontknow*

Do i have to wash the sand and if yes....how?  Thanks  *blink*

Offline Mo1959

• Thank You
    • -Given: 0
    • -Receive: 0
    « Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 03:56:23 pm »
    Hi Lindi. I don't think mixing gravel and sand works very well unless you construct a barrier to stop the sand just mixing in with the gravel. I think you wash the sand pretty much the same way as gravel, i.e. fill a bucket with a few handfuls at a time and then rinse several times with water. If you can do it outside with a hose it may be easier. If not, just at the sink. You will need to keep filling with water and then agitating it and emptying the water, probably several times, until the water runs clear.

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 162
    • -Receive: 6657
    • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
    « Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 04:36:38 pm »
    Playsand, if used, must be the type with no additives, and is usually quite a chore to wash, but Mo has directed you in the manner applicable. :)
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
    I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
    Ian

lindylindylindy

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 12:18:27 pm »
    Thank you.... bucket at the ready, now all i have to wait for is the hosepipe ban to be lifted!!! :confused: :mad:

I am in fact waiting for the lifting of the hose pipe ban so i can fill my new 350L tank as well so all is stalled!

Suppose i better have a brew  *coffee*