• Total Topics: 70296
  • Online Today: 115
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 64
Total: 64

Author Topic: Some tips. Or what I've done wrong (and right) so far...  (Read 20418 times)

Offline AstroMelly

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 26
  • New to keeping fish. First tank is being stocked.
Some tips. Or what I've done wrong (and right) so far...
« on: February 15, 2011, 03:41:12 pm »
Here's a list which might prove helpful for anyone starting out - it's just some assumptions I made that proved to be incorrect or things I've done which didn't work out/had an easier way.

I expect to add to this list as I persist in making silly mistakes and making mental notes not to do the same thing again next time.  I know I will have missed some things out but I hope it is useful to someone!

1. Don't spend too much money.  There's always a cheaper version of something or a cheaper way to get the product that you just saw at the LFS.  Fleabay for API Master Test Kit is one I got right - 21 pounds delivered compared to 35 pounds at at least two local LFS.  If you can wait, google it and find it cheaper, or even secondhand if you're prepared for that.

2. Don't assume your fish have a brain, they do but in some cases it seems to be incredibly limited in the way it works.  They will happily throw themselves into what appears to us to be dangerous situations completely blindly.  Also, remember they cannot see what we can.  My poor plec swam up the filter outlet and got jammed and died.  I can vow never to allow something like this to happen again, but I am prepared to accept that it will.  Always assume the worst will happen and take appropriate action to prevent it while you can.

3. Don't make too many changes at once.  I may have got this right so far (only 3 weeks stocked and counting), but I am sure one day soon I will make a mistake that upsets the balance in my tank.  A for instance is yesterday I changed some water and cleaned the filter (first time ever). I also placed some nitrate absorbing compound in my filter.  Now I'm not sure if I've caused a problem but the next few days will tell!  Sometimes, this will be unavoidable.

4. Ask.  There are no stupid questions.  Only the ones you are too afraid to ask.

5. Be patient.  We all want to dash down the shop to get that molly or platy or whatever, but waiting for things to settle (from what I've read) is in the long term probably a more rewarding path to take.  Fishless cycling is a good way to test your patience!  Also, I think researching the fish you were just about to buy is always a good idea.

6.  Get a second opinion.  A good example is you're in the LFS, see something you want (assuming you went out to buy some fish) and ask the guy if it will be alright with what you've got.  Chances are, unless it's a puffer you're asking about, they'll say 'Yeah, should eb alright'.  I quickly learnt that even the best fish shop has the 'Yeah, should eb alright' drone somewhere on the premises so make sure you convince yourself he's right before you actually part with cash.

7. Get a big tank.  I know sometimes you just can't, but I think I've done myself a favour by convincing the missus to go for a 160 litre and not smaller.  If it was my way we would have got a Roma 240 but we had to get a corner tank and the Trigon 190 was just a bit too big.  She's already looking at 5ft tanks with oak stands and going 'oooh!', so you never know!  Big tanks make things easier keeping the effects of changes on water quality to a minimum.

8. Find someone local to you who already keeps fish.  you won't believe how useful it is to have someone to ring up and ask questions.  Also, you'll find yourself swapping, sharing, giving and receiving which can help to save money and broaden your knowledge.

9. Don't wash your filter media in tap water.  Haven't done this yet and don't intend to.  Also, check the tank every time you take any water out.  As far as possible, make sure everyone's there, or at least check the water you took out for escapee fish.  Almost gave myself a coronary looking for my dwarf gourami last night after taking 15 litres out, washing the filter and then chucking the water onto the grass out back.  We couldnt find the little guy in the tank and the wife convinced me I'd chucked him outside.  Should have seen us on the lawn with torches looking for him.  I laugh now but we were really worried and upset.  Found him swimming right at the top in a dark corner, could'nt see him at all!

10. Enjoy your aquarium.  Might sound stupid, but sometimes we actually turn the TV off these days after the kids have gone to bed and sit and watch the fish instead.  It's generally more rewarding.

11.  Don't clean your filter too soon.  Should leave it 3-6 months.  This is one mistake I have made, cleaning it much too soon.  Hope everything will be ok.

Thanks for reading and I hope you find it useful.
Iain
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 11:16:39 am by AstroMelly »
1 x Sajica Cichlid (Male, enjoying his new found fredom)
5 x Black Ruby Barbs (3m, 2f - aka The Lightning Gang)

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline DEE

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 32
    • -Receive: 105
    Re: Some tips. Or what I've done wrong (and right) so far...
    « Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 03:52:21 pm »
    What a smashing thread Iain, thank you for that :)
    It's an obsession!   *fish2*

Offline BalloonMolly

• Thank You
    • -Given: 5
    • -Receive: 20
    « Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 04:35:28 pm »
     *applause* *applause* *applause*
    Aquastart 320
    Archie the Plakat Betta

Offline AstroMelly

• Thank You
    Some tips. Or what I've done wrong (and right) so far...
    « Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 06:19:13 pm »
    Hehe.  Thanks sunny d.  Bored at work again :D

Offline rdstars

• Thank You
    • -Receive: 0
    « Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 06:31:04 pm »
    With that friendly person local who keeps fish ask them for a slice, squiese of there filter along with 1/3 of there used water from there tank as they do a water change. Just to get your tank running very quick.

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 162
    • -Receive: 6657
    • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
    « Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 07:53:25 pm »
    This is worth "stickying" - so I have! *grin*
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
    I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
    Ian

Gerri19

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 08:09:27 pm »
    Brilliant! Thanks for taking the time to do this - I'm so new to this and appreciate all the advice I can get!  *applause*

Offline AstroMelly

• Thank You
    « Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 10:16:57 pm »
    You're right rdstars - a filter squeeze is exactly what I got from them and it kick started my cycle really well.  Thanks for reminding me.

Offline rdstars

• Thank You
    « Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 10:26:57 pm »
    I used to do it just to quickly setup a tank, used to hate all those water changes and testing all the time. As long as you dont over stock you can add fish straight away as your mirroring the mature tank but will still need water changes quite oftern.

Fishgirl1

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 07:15:47 pm »
    Hi Iain,

Thanks for this :) its really good advice!

Offline wobblewobble

• Thank You
    « Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 10:08:27 pm »
    Great thread! Thanks for the advice

Offline grebidge

• Thank You
    • -Receive: 7
    « Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 08:19:01 am »
    Some good advise there thats why i love tff :-)

Offline mark_jones_1965

• Thank You
    « Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 11:42:18 am »
    Excellent!

Especially about the LFS staff comments. Found two in Plymouth recently who couldn't tell the difference between true and false SAE's. If it wasn't for the help I found on the forums I would have no doubt bought the wrong one.

Offline demented pea

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    • -Receive: 1
    • mostly harmless
    « Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 05:49:31 pm »
    I just found this and thank you so much.  You have covered all the things that I did when I shouldn't or did not when I should have!

I have definitely had the "it'll be OK" guys at even my best lfs.
    less fish than I used to have

Offline Atargatis

• Thank You
    « Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 10:51:37 pm »
    AstroMelly ---- you are indeed a superstar!
     *wave* *toot*
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away