• Total Topics: 70264
  • Online Today: 39
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 45
Total: 45

Author Topic: Luke's Rio 125 Tank Log  (Read 424 times)

Offline Luke

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Luke's Rio 125 Tank Log
« on: March 28, 2011, 09:19:58 pm »
Bit late, but I thought I'd add a tank log.

I bought the Rio 125 from eBay for only £51 plus the stand, filter, heater and lights. I changed the heater and bought a new lid flap set as the old one had been cut into (possibly for a protein skimmer?).

Although it had been stored for around 60month, it had 100's of snail shells in the bottom, in and round the back of the filter so I completely stripped it, cut the filter out and gave it a good scrub before sticking it back in. Over all it was in good condition and I was very happy with it.

I replaced the filter material with cheaper sheets, which for the same price will last me forever, except the Juwel Cirax basket which I replaced for genuine.

I used a clay based substrate topped with silica sand as a base. I then added the cork bark background, added plants, an ornament, plastic plant and filter foam from an established tank and started the cycle. Whilst it was cycling I soaked some bog wood and tied some plants to one of the pieces.

I ran a fishless, seeded cycle feeding the ammonia until on the 18th day the cycle completed. I waited two days to see if the parameters changed, then added fish and a U2 filter from my established tank (I set up a U3 a few week before in that one, which I will be using for another 100l tank).

So far there is 8 Neon tetras, 3 Cory catfish, 1 female Molly with 6 fry a couple month old, and a shrimp. I'm also looking to transfer my Ottos across shortly add some more shrimp and something to occupy the higher levels (any recommendations?). Probably a couple of tall plants for the back too.

Any comments or suggestions (stocking or otherwise)?

Sorry about the poor photo quality, I'll add a better when I dig the camera out.
125l - 8 Neon Tetra, 3 Sterbai Corys, 7 Dalmatian Molly, 1 Glass Shrimp,

100l - Cycling

60l -  1 male Molly, 2 Otocinclus, 29 Molly fry.

25l - 1 Male Betta

**MOLLY FRY FREE TO GOOD HOME!**

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 162
    • -Receive: 6657
    • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
    Re: Luke's Rio 125 Tank Log
    « Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 09:02:38 am »
    I'd get another 2 or 3 corys, they do better in bigger groups, and watch the mollies with shrimp.

Looks very good though, and a bargain! :)
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
    I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
    Ian