• Total Topics: 70247
  • Online Today: 78
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 44
Total: 44

Author Topic: "Fracking"  (Read 299 times)

Offline freduk121

• Est. Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
"Fracking"
« on: June 01, 2011, 06:10:43 pm »
Hi.,

FRACKING.

After listening to the early news today, was somewhat surprised as to this method of gas extraction, never heard of it before, so decided to do a bit of Googling.It is alleged that the small earthquake near Blackpool was caused by this method.
Fracking involves the pumping of water, chemicals under great pressure to fracture the ground, this in turn releases gas which is then sent somewhere., probably some great gas terminal.
Apparently during this procedure the gases may then permeate the water courses etc. affecting supplies in the Vale of Glamorgan.
Gases that have been found in other countries where this method of extraction is used, in there water supplies have been ethane,methane and benzene, there is an article on the web, showing people lighting there water taps, similar to a gas cooker.

Tim Meo, stated on the 24th May this year, this method of gas extraction should now be  regulated, but not banned and that in his words, Safety concerns were overblown. Where have we heard those phrases before.
So my next question is, for those guys living in or around those areas what precautions may be taken to eliminate the possibility of these gases being used in water changes.
One answer might be to let the water stand for a period of time, but how long would water hold any obnoxious gases.

Fred.
900lt marine 4 pr. Sea horses, 1 pr mandarin dragonets
marine nursery tank for S/Hs
2400 lt.  Balas x 14
640lt. Rainbows Boes, blue eyed.
350 lt. Community fish
Q/T tank.
600 lt, cycling for Discus.

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 162
    • -Receive: 6657
    • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
    Re: "Fracking"
    « Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 12:31:30 pm »
    How can you test for it, easily, besides trying to light the water, which may, or may not, work, if they're water soluble?

As for government spokesmen making stupid statements, when do they ever do anything else? Look at what they're trying to do to the NHS now, even after "listening"...... ;) *rolleyes* *eek* :mad:
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
    I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
    Ian