• Total Topics: 70264
  • Online Today: 48
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 50
Total: 50

Author Topic: Pregnant, bloated, or bad health?  (Read 905 times)

Offline CradinalsAndTetras

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 6
  • Fish sticks anyone? XD
Pregnant, bloated, or bad health?
« on: November 12, 2016, 07:48:26 pm »
Hi TTF. I have a yoyo loach which I bought from Pets at Home about 3 days ago, from the pictures I show, can anyone shed some information about it?
Age, pregnant or generally large belly?
'Cardinals' not 'Cradinals'
I know.
Registering on my primary email was a mistake >:(

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline Stephen

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 147
    • -Receive: 2052
    Re: Pregnant, bloated, or bad health?
    « Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 08:55:29 pm »
    A 28L tank is totally unsuitable for a YoYo loach, it requires a tank measuring 4 foot or bigger.
    It is also a soft water species and the water in Gorleston (Great Yarmouth) is far too hard.
    The loach also requires a substrate of sand or fine gravel with lots of smooth, water-worn rocks and pebbles plus driftwood roots and hiding places.

Sorry
    Look after your fish and the water, do regular water changes & maintenance, do your research and the hobby will be rewarding.
    All the best
    Stephen

• Thank You
    • Fish sticks anyone? XD
    « Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 09:06:34 pm »
    A 28L tank is totally unsuitable for a YoYo loach, it requires a tank measuring 4 foot or bigger.
    It is also a soft water species and the water in Gorleston (Great Yarmouth) is far too hard.
    The loach also requires a substrate of sand or fine gravel with lots of smooth, water-worn rocks and pebbles plus driftwood roots and hiding places.

Sorry

Hi, I don't think there is much I could do about the water, but it is safer in my fish tank than waiting for its death at pets at home. Since most of their fish are in overstocked tanks. With dead fish being eaten by shrimp and or stuck in their filters. And I even managed to get it from a section which wasn't isolated.

Would it be safe with Malawi cichlids? My corydora gets on with them..
    I won't move it quite yet either since it's fairly new. It has managed to make home under a rock, I'd probably move it when I move my sailfin into a larger tank.
    What will happen if it says in its current environment with 4 endlers, 2 EBRs and and a sailfin?
    « Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 09:08:14 pm by CradinalsAndTetras »
    I know.

Offline Stephen

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 12:46:54 am »
    what tanks do you have and what size?

What will happen if it says in its current environment with 4 endlers, 2 EBRs and and a sailfin?
    The tank is way too small for a sailfin molly (I assume you mean sailfin molly), the sailfin molly can grow to about 6.5 inches.
    Although your hard water is perfectly fine for endlers and sailfin molly, the sailfin molly requires a tank measuring at least 30 inches.
    The EBR is another soft water species and is very sensitive to poor water conditions, they are unlikely to live a full life in your tank.
    I haven't got any kits to determine water type.etc except it is 27*c sometimes 28.
    I would reduce the tank temperature down to about 24.5C/25C as this will be better long-term for all the fish.
    As previously stated, the water is far too hard for the loach and also too hard for corydoras long-term.
    Malawi cichlids should be kept at about 25C to 27C long-term which again is likely to be too warm.

I wish I could be more positive

Look after your fish and the water, do regular water changes & maintenance, do your research and the hobby will be rewarding.
    All the best
    Stephen

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 162
    • -Receive: 6657
    • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
    « Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 09:58:30 am »
    25C-27C is about the right temp for yo-yos, but they also need keeping in groups of 5+, another reason for the big tank, and get to around 8" each.
    They don't like hard water though, and shouldn't be kept with corys as they can hurt them by accident, especially when feeding.
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
    I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
    Ian

• Thank You
    • Fish sticks anyone? XD
    « Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 02:33:06 pm »
    what tanks do you have and what size?

The tank is way too small for a sailfin molly (I assume you mean sailfin molly), the sailfin molly can grow to about 6.5 inches.
    Although your hard water is perfectly fine for endlers and sailfin molly, the sailfin molly requires a tank measuring at least 30 inches.
    The EBR is another soft water species and is very sensitive to poor water conditions, they are unlikely to live a full life in your tank.
    I haven't got any kits to determine water type.etc except it is 27*c sometimes 28.
    I would reduce the tank temperature down to about 24.5C/25C as this will be better long-term for all the fish.
    As previously stated, the water is far too hard for the loach and also too hard for corydoras long-term.
    Malawi cichlids should be kept at about 25C to 27C long-term which again is likely to be too warm.

I wish I could be more positive

I'm refering to sailfin plec. Thanks TFF for the replies, there's not too much I can do though. Until my 450 l Malawi tanks back up they will remain in this tank.

Anything that can be done for water quality?

On another note my electric blue rams are chasing each other, dunno why since there still v. Young. They're about an inch long and appear to be males.
    I know.

Offline Cheekychihuahua

• Thank You
    • -Given: 13
    • -Receive: 42
    « Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 02:57:47 pm »
    The sailfin plec can get to 50cm, I have one and do water changes every 2 days because of the poo, they grow really quickly, mine was tiny i.e pinky size and is now 6 inch in under a year.  As for your water quality you will have to do daily water changes, it's easy and quick on a little tank, just get yourself a method, I have big bottles and when, I use them I fill straight away and dose with prime so it's ready for the next change.  The rams need very good water quality and will pick on each other from a young age, best not to put anything else in the tank.

• Thank You
    • Fish sticks anyone? XD
    « Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 03:01:40 pm »
    The sailfin plec can get to 50cm, I have one and do water changes every 2 days because of the poo, they grow really quickly, mine was tiny i.e pinky size and is now 6 inch in under a year.  As for your water quality you will have to do daily water changes, it's easy and quick on a little tank, just get yourself a method, I have big bottles and when, I use them I fill straight away and dose with prime so it's ready for the next change.  The rams need very good water quality and will pick on each other from a young age, best not to put anything else in the tank.

Presume the overall volume is 25 l. What percentage or litres should I change daily. And what should I do to the water I use? Since its basic tap water.
    I know.

Offline Cheekychihuahua

• Thank You
    • -Given: 13
    • -Receive: 42
    « Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 03:21:47 pm »
    25 litres is a really difficult size to manage is there any chance you could get a cheapy bigger tank off gumtree, i saw 100litre with 2 fluval internals for £35 yesterday.  If you can't I would do 50% 12.5 litres and dose the water prior to going in the tank with prime to dechlorinate and it should help with water quality ie lock up ammonia, which gets released again but if you change water daily this shouldn't happen.

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 162
    • -Receive: 6657
    • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
    « Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 07:39:26 am »
    Sorry, you can't keep a yo-yo in a 28l tank for very long. That's just wrong - it will keep getting ill. :(
    See this for diet if you're determined to keep it, but please get a bigger tank at least, and try to find some way of softening the water.
    https://www.tropicalfishforums.co.uk/index.php/topic,40302.0.html
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
    I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
    Ian

Offline Stephen

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #10 on: November 14, 2016, 08:50:21 am »
    I'm refering to sailfin plec
    Wow! that is potentially a big fish, will grow to about 18 or 19 inches (approx. 50cm).
    All the best
    Stephen