• Total Topics: 70296
  • Online Today: 115
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 55
Total: 55

Author Topic: Advice on Gibbicep  (Read 4334 times)

anniebabe

Advice on Gibbicep
« on: June 23, 2011, 07:17:55 pm »
Hi guys
Just after a bit of advice please.
I have a Juwel tank 240 litres, set up for about 4/5 yrs  temp is at about 78 with 5 Angel Fish, 2 clown loaches, 2 Blue Gouramis, corries, 5 octocinclus and 2 Rainbow Fish.
I have had a problem with algae and purchased API Phos-zorb, but was advised to try a plec, so today on the advice of a shop keeper I bought  a Gibbicep, when I put the fish in my tank all the Angel fish (only small - about the size of a 50p) surrounded it and started pecking at it, I have a well planted tank with at least 10 Amazon sword and also valass and 2 pieces of bog wood, but this plec is adamant it is staying on the glass. also keeps what looks like feeding from the surface and  free falling to the bottom of the tank? ive never seen anything like this before as never owned a plec, is this normal behaviour? or should I take this fish back in the morning?
Any advice is much appreciated.
Also do you think I should consider installing an external filter as well as the internal Juwel?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 08:08:19 pm by anniebabe »

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline scatz

• Pleco Nutter
    • TFF Staff Retired
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 1
    • -Receive: 6
    Re: Advice on Gibbicep
    « Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 10:03:06 pm »
    i would take it back for a few reasons:
    a) a gibby will get massive and need a 6ft tank within a couple of years
    b) they are no good for cleaning algae
    c) it doesn't sound too happy in your tank, Plecs are real bottom dwellers and will hardly ever venture further up the tank, i'd be worried that yours keeps going to the surface then "free falling" back to the bottom.

If you wanted a plec in your tank that was more suited to your size tank, and would actually eat some algae, you could try a couple of bristle nose plecs

Offline sharkysmum

• Thank You
    • -Given: 0
    • -Receive: 0
    « Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 10:30:36 pm »
    I agree!  I have a female albino BN and she is awesome.  I have never seen any freefalling behavior at all.  Also consider getting a plec cave/hinding space  if you haven't already :)

anniebabe

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 09:22:45 am »
    Ok,
    Thankyou very much for the input.
    I am going to try and catch it this morning and take it back, the person at the shop said that if I wasnt happy I could take it back and swap it. Hopefully he will keep to his word.

Offline Dendrobium

• Thank You
    • -Receive: 12
    « Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 10:19:50 am »
    I agree.
    A bristle nose if you want it to clean algae.
    And if not, there are some interesting smaller "fancy" Plecs.

anniebabe

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 12:28:25 pm »
    Hello
    Yes, I want it to clean up algae, unfortunately my Juwel background is covered in the stuff and I dont seem to be able to get rid of it.
    Ive tried reducing food, making sure the lights arent on for long periods of time, phos-zorb, scraping it. I change a third of the water every 2 weeks. some people say this is too much but the Juwel book says it is correct.
    The only thing I can think of now is fish, I have some octocinclus in already - but as you will know they are only tiny fellows and arent really doing the job, maybe I should invest in some more of those guys too?
    with regards to hiding places, I have 2 cave type ornements in already that the clown loaches live in and also a long hollow log type ornament that all the fish tend to swim in and out of, and also the 2 pieces of bog wood - surely this would be enough hiding places ? for a bristlenose as well - do we think?
    I am reading that the bristlenose grows to apprx 10 -13 cm - should I just put 1 in or get 2?
    « Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 12:47:06 pm by anniebabe »

Offline scatz

• Pleco Nutter
    • TFF Staff Retired
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 1
    • -Receive: 6
    « Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 01:12:25 pm »
    i would say that 1 30% water change every 2 weeks is about as minimal as you would safely want to go. on a community tank i would be doing 25% each week as a minimum, but this is not what is causing you the algae problem.
    does the tank get direct sunlight? this is normally the biggest cause of excess algae growth.

Bristle noses aren't big plecs by any means and you could easily have a few in a 240ltr tank if you wanted (preferably females as males may fight)

anniebabe

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 01:19:03 pm »
    Hi Scatz
    The tank is near a window, but I have blinds adjusted so sun not shining in too much, the tank lights are on for about 8 hrs.
    If I get 2 bristlenoses would I need to purchase a new home for them as well as what I have mentioned?

Offline twuncher

• Thank You
    • Hello?
    « Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 02:14:18 pm »
    bn plecs are messy, will need to do lots of vacuming of the substrate as you water change.
    180L Rio
    10 Cardinal Tetra
    5 Xray Tetra
    2 Forktailed Blue-Eyed Rainbow Fish
    6 Pacific Blue-Eyed Rainbow Fish
    9 Corydoras Duplicaerus
    2 Otocinclus Vittatus
    2 Peacock Goby
    1 Albino Bristlenose Plec
    1 Electric Blue Ram

anniebabe

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 05:26:28 pm »
    ok will bear that in mind, I always use a vac anyway when I do a water change.

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 162
    • -Receive: 6657
    • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
    « Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 09:28:46 am »
    Most plecs are messy, bns aren't as messy as gibbys......

Just out of curiousity, is the background one of the Juwel internal stick-on things? If so, the coating comes off and tends to make plecs not very well. Plecs need wood as well to help with their digestion.
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
    I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
    Ian

anniebabe

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 11:00:50 pm »
     :)
    Hello
    Yes unfortunately it is a Juwel internal stick on one, but I have 2 pieces of bog wood in the tank atm.
    Not much I can do about the background now unfortunately.

Offline Shalmainia

• Thank You
    • -Receive: 1
    • Oddball Critters <3
    « Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 06:06:26 am »
    A gang of smaller Corydoras would probably do the trick for the algae.
    My Mudskipper slide show. and my Mudskipper article

Freshwater Planted Community - 90L (19G)
    Brackish Mudskipper tank - 58L (12G)
    Empty - 58L (12G)

anniebabe

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011, 10:02:08 am »
    Morning
     I already have 5 corys in the tanks, someone has mentioned flying fox to me but i am not sure about that one, put a small bristlenose in yesterday.

Offline arcticfox

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #14 on: June 26, 2011, 11:19:31 am »
    If im honest your tank is very well stocked as its in on a internal filter alone, I would invest on a external to help out a little. Also BN plecos are a lovely fish so 2 off them if you were to get an external filter would be great.

I would start doing 15-20% water change every week with the stock you have as you have a lot off messy fish.

HTH
    Some fish