• Total Topics: 70248
  • Online Today: 72
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 57
Total: 57

Author Topic: Tank Evolution  (Read 32752 times)

Offline Newbie fishkeeper

• Thank You
  • -Given: 624
  • -Receive: 246
Re: Tank Evolution
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2017, 11:40:56 pm »
Once I mange to get the stand in place and spend many hours trying to get it level, I'm going to partially set it up and just check the new filter (fluval 306) is working as it should.

I was originally just going to use just the 306, but doing some research this may not be enough filtration for the size of the tank and inhabitants? Is this correct? 120x40x45 (about 240 litres I think).

I may use the fluval u4 plus internal with it, or may use the APS external and the 306 together. If I use 2 external filters, is it best to have both inputs at one end and both outputs at the other? Or one of each at each end?

Or would the 306 be ok on its own? I only use the u4 internal on my 170 litre tank because the APS filter flow is too gentle, but I believe the 306 will hopefully be a lot better and create much more surface agitation.

Sorry if that's a bit waffley! To summarise...

Where should I position the inputs and outputs if using 2 external filters?
And do I need more filters than the fluval 306?

Sorry I didn't see this sooner Si.
I am using 2 externalls on 300. Both with spray bars  (1at the surface and the other about 3" from the bottom) especially for the  cory. Intakes on the opposite side (1 in the middle another at the bottom) both with sponges over to stop anything like fry getting sucked up.
Tanks looking great btw.
I attached a couple pictures to show you my  filter setup.

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline Si4geckos

• Thank You
    • -Given: 79
    • -Receive: 113
    « Reply #61 on: May 02, 2017, 07:06:55 pm »
    Once I mange to get the stand in place and spend many hours trying to get it level, I'm going to partially set it up and just check the new filter (fluval 306) is working as it should.

I was originally just going to use just the 306, but doing some research this may not be enough filtration for the size of the tank and inhabitants? Is this correct? 120x40x45 (about 240 litres I think).

I may use the fluval u4 plus internal with it, or may use the APS external and the 306 together. If I use 2 external filters, is it best to have both inputs at one end and both outputs at the other? Or one of each at each end?

Or would the 306 be ok on its own? I only use the u4 internal on my 170 litre tank because the APS filter flow is too gentle, but I believe the 306 will hopefully be a lot better and create much more surface agitation.

I am using 2 externalls on 300. Both with spray bars  (1at the surface and the other about 3" from the bottom) especially for the  cory. Intakes on the opposite side (1 in the middle another at the bottom) both with sponges over to stop anything like fry getting sucked up.
    Tanks looking great btw.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know you could mount the spray bars so low down. Thought it'd kick all the sand up.

In the end I had to leave the pipework at either end of the tank due to the glass sliding lids, otherwise I probably would've had one in themiddle like you suggest. I've now got an input and out put at each end. One spray bar is going back to front and the other (weaker one) is going right to left. Dunno if this is for the best, but seems ok for now.

I do keep meaning to get sponges to cover the filter intakes, especially when all the plants and adults are in and I'm hoping some cory fry may survive on their own merits.

What's the plants on your first pic by the way? I want something similar for my background. Are they easy to keep and grow?

Still now sure how good this new light is going to be for plant growth yet. If it's visually brighter than my t8 (and that grew amazon swords) then I'm guessing it should be ok?? Or is it more to do with the light spectrum??

Offline Si4geckos

• Thank You
    « Reply #62 on: May 08, 2017, 06:19:17 pm »
    Sad times!

Offline Newbie fishkeeper

• Thank You
    • -Given: 624
    • -Receive: 246
    « Reply #63 on: May 08, 2017, 10:32:37 pm »
    Sad times!
    ???

Tanks looking great btw.

What's the plants on your first pic by the way? I want something similar for my background. Are they easy to keep and grow?

Which  one?

Offline Si4geckos

• Thank You
    « Reply #64 on: May 08, 2017, 10:52:56 pm »

Which  one?
    [/quote]

Looks like a thin stem with bushy offshoots on??

Offline Si4geckos

• Thank You
    « Reply #65 on: May 08, 2017, 10:56:08 pm »
    Sadly came home today to find Gary the gourami dead on the bottom of the tank today.

No obvious markings or signs of illness, just out the blue. I lost a cardinal tetra last week, but he had a weird stomach problem and super greedy so it wasn't too much of a surprise, but the gourami was a total shock.

Water parameters were fine last night (6ppm nitrate, zero everything else). I did a water change tonight to be on the safe side, but still a sad loss. *bye3*

Offline Si4geckos

• Thank You
    « Reply #66 on: May 08, 2017, 11:05:44 pm »

Sad times :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 162
    • -Receive: 6657
    • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
    « Reply #67 on: May 09, 2017, 09:45:51 am »
    Sorry for your loss :(
    Can you remind us of his tankmates?
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
    I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
    Ian

Offline Si4geckos

• Thank You
    « Reply #68 on: May 09, 2017, 11:03:38 am »
    Can you remind us of his tankmates?
    About 14 sterbai, 8 cardinals and 7 guppies.

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 162
    • -Receive: 6657
    • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
    « Reply #69 on: May 09, 2017, 11:40:40 am »
    Nothing there, unless he ate one......I had one choke on guppy fry, but yours are all males aren't they?
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
    I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
    Ian

Offline Gingerlove05

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 1755
    • -Receive: 2172
    « Reply #70 on: May 09, 2017, 12:11:28 pm »

Offline Si4geckos

• Thank You
    « Reply #71 on: May 09, 2017, 07:45:36 pm »
    Nothing there, unless he ate one......I had one choke on guppy fry, but yours are all males aren't they?

Yea all males so no chance of and guppy fry. Checked his throat, but nothing lodged. Just an unfortunate mystery. Thought maybe the sterbai may have done their toxin defense mechanism if they got spooked or stressed, but everyone else seems fine.

Thanks for the kind words people.

Offline Feliss

• Thank You
    • -Given: 157
    • -Receive: 208
    « Reply #72 on: May 11, 2017, 11:23:25 am »
    Erg sorry for your loss :(
    60L – 5 threadfin rainbows, 3 emerald dwarf rasbora
    500L – 1 fire eel (~18"), 7 Melanotaenia boesemani, 14 Melanotaenia trifasciata/Melanotaenia herbertaxelrodi.

Offline Si4geckos

• Thank You
    « Reply #73 on: May 12, 2017, 05:12:40 pm »
    Just a quick update since Gary sadly passed and thankfully everything seems to be fine and settled down.

I moved x2 more adult sterbai over to replace his bioload and all parameters seem fine and I have even seen the sterbai breeding and carrying eggs around with them today, which to me says the water quality is good. Don't know what happened with the gourami, but staying positive all the rest of the fish seem happy and it was just a random blip.

Also since adding my home made root tabs the amazon swords seem to be standing up a little taller and the leaves don't look quite so flimsy (may just be my imagination) and a little less yellow. Thankfully ammonia has stayed at zero too.

Tank is starting to look nice and active with so many cories in now and I've got used the 'HD' LED lights. Can't wait to get the albino sterbais across in the next week or so as well. They'll definitely pop against the black background.

Still on the hunt for the 'right' bog wood or roots to decorate the tank and I'm trying to find somewhere that sells egeria densa or cabomba for background plants, but can't find anywhere other than ebay.

548082-0

Offline Gingerlove05

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 1755
    • -Receive: 2172
    « Reply #74 on: May 12, 2017, 05:27:39 pm »
    Aquarium Gardens i imagine will have them, if not i'm sure Dave can tell you when he can get some in.
    I got my big bit of wood from there as well but i went to the shop and found it