• Total Topics: 70275
  • Online Today: 34
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 36
Total: 36

Author Topic: kuhli loaches ?  (Read 35268 times)

dexy110288

Re: kuhli loaches ?
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2011, 11:12:54 pm »
If you want something to stir the sand up try horse faced loaches.

I think they grow to 20cm+ & need a 4"tank minimum.

I just googled that and your right.

Strange though cos I have, what I thought, are a bunch of horse faced loaches. I've had them for about 1.5 years and they are deff fully grown at about 5-8cm. My tank is pretty big so i doubt it stunted their growth.

maybe a slightly different species????

will post pics of them wen i get a chance.

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

CGRich

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2011, 01:10:40 pm »
    Very interesting indeed. When I get my new tank in the new year I think I will consider the Kuhli to add to my collection.

Offline chrisjj

• Thank You
    • -Given: 2
    • -Receive: 63
    « Reply #17 on: September 28, 2011, 08:26:16 pm »
    Im my experience, they also seem to be blessed with very little brian!

I started off with 10.

A few days after getting them, I came home to what was quite clearly a dead kuhli tail sticking straight out of the substrate.  He appeared to have dug down, then not been able to reverse out.  Is it the barbels? What ever it is, the things on the side of their heads angle backwards so going forwards is fine, but they act like an opening umbrella when going backwards, so he obviously got stuck. I had to tug suprisingly hard on his tail to pull him out.

Soon after, I came home one day to a wriggling tail sticking out of a piece of lava rock.  I feared the worst.  The only option was to get my tweezers & pull!! Again, it was suprisingly tough, but he did come out, lay motionless for a few seconds, then swam off.  This was a few months ago & though now the "runt" of the family, slightly smaller than the others, slightly paler & with damage next to his gills, he is doing fine.

Unfortunatley, I came home tonight & found another tail (this one motionless) sticking out of a hole.  This one disintegrated as I pulled.  I cant remove the offending rock as this will mean destroying the scape, but the many shrimp swarming should sort the rest out. 

I've therefore lost one in substrate, one (and nearly another) in lava rock.

So lava rock isn't the best with these guys, with 1 death & 1 damaged.  But it should be noted that they will try to get into the smallest holes with no thought of the consequences! whether it's holes in rocks, or substrate, or anything I'm guessing.

Cheers
    « Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 08:28:00 pm by chrisjj »
    125ltr - Cherry Shrimp

72ltr - Cherry Shrimp

50ltr - Crystal Red Shrimp

186ltr - SAE, Whiptail, Otos, Kuhli Loach, RCS, Amanos

240ltr - Silver tipped tetra, Cardinal tetra, Otos, Amanos

Offline Tigerlily

• Thank You
    • -Given: 0
    • -Receive: 0
    « Reply #18 on: November 18, 2011, 06:52:17 am »
    I've had a pair of kuhli loaches in the 240 litre community tank here for eight days. I haven't seen them since they went in!

My husband reckons he saw one the day after we added them, but apart from spotting one on a plant as I popped them in the tank, I haven't seen them since the fish shop.

Not complaining about it, just a little concerned that they are in fact ex-kuhli loaches...our tank is pretty well planted and there is plenty of bogwood and plant roots and the like in which to disappear.

Offline WBT12

• Thank You
    • -Given: 7
    • -Receive: 155
    « Reply #19 on: November 18, 2011, 10:00:24 am »
    Kulli's do like their own company. Read somewhere they are best kept in groups of 6+. The more you have the more they are likely to be active and visible.

WBT12
     :cool:

30 ltr (1)
    Cherry Red Shrimp +
    2 Rasbora Urophthalmoides Brigittae

30 ltr (2)
    1 Betta (M) +
    Algae Shrimp

Offline Tigerlily

• Thank You
    « Reply #20 on: November 26, 2011, 10:22:23 am »
    Pretty much within a day or two of saying that I had never seen our kuhli loaches since they went in the tank, they made an appearance - twice in one day! And they have been seen again since. It is literally a 'blink and you miss it' thing, though, they wiggle around in the open for a few seconds and as soon as you notice them, they whoosh off under a rock or behind a plant.

AndehX

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2012, 10:13:27 am »
    I only have 2 at the moment, but I plan on getting more.  My LFS doesnt stock them, so im going to have to have them ordered in for me.  They are buggers to see though.  They rarely come out.  I only ever see mine when theres brine shrimp or bloodworms floating around the tank.  Then they're happy to show their faces.

TonyF

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2012, 09:49:19 pm »
    I wish to get a few Kuhlis once iv finished planting, however iv had mixed recommendations on how many i can house in a 48ltr river reef, so far i have 3 of my partners guppies, i was thinking maybe 3-4 Kuhlis and 8 Endlers.

Thoughts / recommendations anyone?

Great article by the way John.

Offline DefenderOfMen

• Thank You
    « Reply #23 on: May 02, 2012, 08:56:15 pm »
    i have khulis, that were in my 3 ft tank...and when i was transfering them to my bigger tank after only seeing one at a time (thus assuming only one had survived, i found number 2!

now heres my q on the khuli, one was pretty standard the reddy brown stripet type and the other is the same type...but one was alot fatter than the other, and almost looked like the belly was going transparent, looked like green dots inside as well....is this disease or just them growing?!
    609 litre tank
    10 neons
    10 glowlight
    8 clowns
    2 guppies
    2 Kulhi loach
    2 Female BN
    1 Male BN
    10x Shrimp
    1 RTS

Offline Donaldm

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 5
    • -Receive: 12
    « Reply #24 on: May 02, 2012, 11:15:50 pm »
    Wow that was a little confusing.
    I've just read drain_bamaged's 'short' post about kuhli's and got so engrossed that when I noticed it was from almost a year ago I couldn't work out why I had started reading it.

I've got 6 kuhli's but they are in my "I don't know what to do with" community tank so I only see them at feeding time if I am lucky. I now know I will get much more out of them if I get them into a better location and setup.

DefenderOfMen - would the fatter one with a transparent belly possibly be a female with eggs, which are the little green dots that you can see.
    Not clued up enough myself, so just a guess

Offline DefenderOfMen

• Thank You
    « Reply #25 on: May 02, 2012, 11:39:51 pm »
    I literally have no idea! If she was she's diss appeared now into an even bigger tank now! So I may never know. I can't help along any fry or eggs if I don't know they're there !! I'd love it if that were the case but the odds of only buying two. Getting a male and female and them having a thing must be pretty slim. It'll be a case of survival of the fittest me thinks!

Can't find any pics to compare....
    609 litre tank
    10 neons
    10 glowlight
    8 clowns
    2 guppies
    2 Kulhi loach
    2 Female BN
    1 Male BN
    10x Shrimp
    1 RTS

Offline Donaldm

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 5
    • -Receive: 12
    « Reply #26 on: May 02, 2012, 11:49:57 pm »
    When breeding, the females often become monstrously fat and their greenish ovaries can be seen through the skin before spawning

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuhli_Loach

Offline MartF

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 3
    • -Receive: 120
    • I'm not young enough to know everything!
    « Reply #27 on: July 03, 2012, 10:33:32 pm »
    Many years ago I had a few Khuli, (about 5) loaches in a very large tank, 6ft x 3ft x 3ft that I built myself. When we moved house I couldn't get it out of the lounge through the doors so the decision was taken to drain it and smash it to remove it - dreadful I know! Anyway, after draining I smashed and removed the front panel but then got caught up in the house move and only returned to complete the demoliton job about 2 weeks later. The first thing I did was to drag all the gravel out onto the lounge floor with a garden rake or something - and there I found huddled together 4 khulis in good health! I should add that when I caught the initial 5 that I had put in I assumed I had got them all but they must have bred at some point. So these 4 had survived without heat and without WATER for 2 weeks in the gravel, which must have been still wet at least - amazing!!
    PLANTED DISCUS TANK: http://goo.gl/O2slun

UK's Only breeder of H. zosterae (Dwarf Seahorses)

Offline AzSquil

• Thank You
    « Reply #28 on: October 24, 2012, 11:08:52 pm »
    could i put some kuhli loaches in my sand 330l malawi tank?
    330l
    1 Blue Peacock
    13 Yellow Labs
    13 Red Zebras
    1 Cherry Haplochromis
    1 Jewel Cichlid
    1 Malawi Eye Biter
    2 SP44 Red tails
    2 Labeotropheus Trewavasae Thumbi West

65l
    2 blue rams
    Male siamese fighter
    2 white cloud mountain minnows
    15 Glowlight Tetras

Offline flutterby

• Thank You
    • -Receive: 1
    « Reply #29 on: December 04, 2012, 12:30:44 am »
    I started off with one Kuhli Loach because he was a rescue, and I fell in love with him instantly (note I have no idea what sex it was, I just call all my Kuhlis 'he'!)
    I read up about them and realised he needed to be in a group to be happier, so I bought another 6 from the LFS, who were much smaller than him.

They've been in my heavily planted 5' for about 3 weeks now, maybe a bit longer, and I see them all the time. They dig around in the sand a lot, do a really good job of turning it over actually.
    They also free 'swim' although as they don't have fins its more of a 'wiggle' through the water, and go up to the floating plants and drape themselves over them.
    They seem to get on well with everything else in the tank (stock in signature) and I adore them. Would recommend them to anyone, lovely little things.
    400L various Livebearer, Pentazona, Javanese Ricefish, Rasbora, Ember & Cardinal Tetra, Forktail Rainbow, various Cory, BN Plec, Kulhi, various Ram, Otto, WCMM, Hatchett, Peacock Gudgeon, Rasbora

200L Pictus catfish
    30L Fry
    25L Shrimp and Lampeyes