• Total Topics: 70242
  • Online Today: 75
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 62
Total: 62

Author Topic: Oven heat resistant mesh for tank?  (Read 2434 times)

Offline Massy2k

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 16
Oven heat resistant mesh for tank?
« on: May 07, 2017, 12:38:00 pm »
Anyone know if I can use the mesh normally used in ovens for inside my tank?

I'm sure its not metal and feels almost like fabric, unfortunately there is no materials mentioned on the packaging. Anyone have any idea?

http://www.poundland.co.uk/quickachips-cooking-mesh-30-x-30cm

I think it could be fibreglass of some sort.

I got some moss coming in and this would be perfect to cut down and use ;)

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline ActiveSparkles

• Thank You
    • -Given: 3
    • -Receive: 0
    Re: Oven heat resistant mesh for tank?
    « Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 12:58:32 pm »
    thats hard to find any information on.
    Amazon sell a similar thing, but no mention of materials and nobody seems to have any idea what its made from.

I did find one site selling something like it that was made from fibreglass, but not entirely sure if thats what that is?
    Sounds like it could be, but what be dubious without confirmation.

Offline Vale!

• TFF Staff retired & Supporter
    • TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 25
    • -Receive: 522
    « Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 01:09:55 pm »
    As a general rule (always be prepared for exceptions!) if it's food-safe, then it'll probably be fish-safe.

Looking at the properties claimed for culinary applications, I can't imagine that it would cause problems in an aquarium. If it were me, mainly because my tankwater tends to be rather acidic, I would want to test it with both a conductivity meter (to see if it's leaching out any measurable ions at all) and with live critters (to see if it's leaching non-ionic organics that might be toxic to aquatic life ; I use Daphnia usually).

If I happen to pass by a Poundland soonish, I'll pick some up and have an investigate. You're welcome to send me a bit if you want a quicker assessment ; though I really don't think there's that much of a risk if you were just to go ahead and use it for your intended purpose.

Offline Massy2k

• Thank You
    « Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 08:11:46 pm »
    thats hard to find any information on.
    Amazon sell a similar thing, but no mention of materials and nobody seems to have any idea what its made from.

I did find one site selling something like it that was made from fibreglass, but not entirely sure if thats what that is?
    Sounds like it could be, but what be dubious without confirmation.

Yeah I came across something that mentioned it could be polytetrafluoroethylene (a Teflon-coated woven fiberglass) but I have no way of verifying this.

As a general rule (always be prepared for exceptions!) if it's food-safe, then it'll probably be fish-safe.

Looking at the properties claimed for culinary applications, I can't imagine that it would cause problems in an aquarium. If it were me, mainly because my tankwater tends to be rather acidic, I would want to test it with both a conductivity meter (to see if it's leaching out any measurable ions at all) and with live critters (to see if it's leaching non-ionic organics that might be toxic to aquatic life ; I use Daphnia usually).

If I happen to pass by a Poundland soonish, I'll pick some up and have an investigate. You're welcome to send me a bit if you want a quicker assessment ; though I really don't think there's that much of a risk if you were just to go ahead and use it for your intended purpose.

Id be happy to send you some if you want to pm me an address to send it too, I didn't plan on using it all anyway and it might be a nice alternative for our hobbyists who wish to save money if your able to determine if its safe or not. Most of us have access to a poundland and i'm sure i'm not the only one who loves the look of moss carpet/wall ;)
    « Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 08:14:27 pm by Massy2k »

Offline Vale!

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 09:14:53 pm »
    PM incoming!

Offline Major

• Thank You
    • -Given: 2
    • -Receive: 23
    « Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 09:24:33 pm »
    Keep us updated as to whether it works or not! I'll be lurking here till then hehe

Offline Massy2k

• Thank You
    « Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 10:16:13 pm »
    PM incoming!

As long as I don't forget it will be in the mail first thing tomorrow morning ;)

Offline Vale!

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 04:59:29 pm »
    Consignment has arrived!

Offline Siege

• Thank You
    • -Given: 84
    • -Receive: 317
    « Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 05:08:56 pm »
    I recall an article in pfk magazine where they made a diy breeding trap. The base was made from oven safe metal mesh.

3 X hi-tech planted tanks.

Offline Vale!

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #9 on: May 14, 2017, 07:11:58 pm »
    Just a sitrep :

Phase Two of testing will be completed by tomorrow morning. Nothing alarming so far.

There's one more thing that I want to try before reporting back properly, and that'll take a couple more days. Then there's something else I want to test - but that won't be relevant to you unless your tanks are acidic.

More news as I get it ...

Offline Massy2k

• Thank You
    « Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 08:13:23 am »
    Great, depending on your results I may have to head out and buy a couple more sheets ;)

Offline Vale!

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 10:43:43 am »
    Oven Mesh From Poundland now tested!

I received two pieces of the mesh on 9th May : a piece 202mm x 45mm, weighing 3.96g ; and a piece 45mm x 36mm, weighing 0.68g  [see Pic #1]

The total weight was 4.64 grams. The reticule of the mesh is approximately 4mm. It looks like it could be twine lightly coated with some sort of resin. The mesh is flexible and can be closely rolled around (say) a piece of bamboo ; when unrolled it shows no sign of having been deformed.  It won't crease to form a free-standing right-angle, even after valiant attempts to heat it in a microwave oven!

Both pieces floated on the surface tension of water, but sunk immediately when it was broken.

I soaked them for a couple of hours in RO/DI (revesre osmosis/deionised) water, then removed them and allowed them to air-dry. When judged to be dry, the pieces together weighed 4.65 grams.

They were put into 500mls of RO/DI with a conductivity of 0.0μS/cm.  After 24hrs, conductivity was 3.5 ; and after 48hrs, 2.4μS/cm.  (The water had been stored in a brimfull, air-tight comntainer ; most/all of these negligible conductivity changes can be attributed to dissolved gases equalising with atmosphere, I think).   Again, the mesh was removed and allowed to air-dry.

Two clean glasses were prepared, each containing 500mls of RO/DI water, remineralised with JBL Aquadur to 225μS/cm and pH6.77 . The glasses were allowed to come to room temperature (19.8C).  Similar numbers of Daphnia (plus some food)  were put into each and then both pieces of mesh were added to one of the glasses [see Pic #2]

After 48 hours there had been no fatalities in either glass.  The conductivity of the glass containing the Daphnia was 239μS/cm.

I then took out the Daphnia and returned them to their original home. The water from both glasses was pooled and then poured back equally into the two glasses once again. The glasses (one still containing the pieces of mesh) were then microwaved for ten minutes at full power, ensuring that they boiled for some minutes, before being left to cool again. When cool, the conductivity of the water : without mesh = 266μS/cm ; with mesh = 267μS/cm.

The glasses were reset with Daphnia and some fresh food as before and allowed to sit for 48hours. After that time there had been no fatalities in either glass.

So, on the basis of the above, this mesh looks perfectly safe to use in a 'normal' aquarium. I can't completely rule out the possibility that some organic chemical treatments (such as medication  or glutaraldehyde) may draw something out of it, but that seems pretty unlikely.

Offline Massy2k

• Thank You
    « Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 05:58:35 pm »
    Brilliant, thanks for this Vale. I'm pleased to hear the results are positive and will definitely be popping back down to my local Poundland for some more.

Nice job :)

Offline Major

• Thank You
    • -Given: 2
    • -Receive: 23
    « Reply #13 on: May 17, 2017, 06:01:31 pm »
    wew nice review there

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 162
    • -Receive: 6657
    • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
    « Reply #14 on: May 18, 2017, 11:40:40 am »
    Stickied as this could be very useful. ;)
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
    I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
    Ian