• Total Topics: 70258
  • Online Today: 87
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 74
Total: 74

Author Topic: 200l hardwater planted community tank  (Read 1294 times)

Offline Isy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 43
  • -Receive: 4
Re: 200l hardwater planted community tank
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2017, 08:49:49 pm »
Forgot to attach the pictures... Sorry!

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline Gingerlove05

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 1755
    • -Receive: 2172
    « Reply #16 on: September 25, 2017, 09:15:56 pm »
    Nice pics :) he is pretty!
    I cant see the issue with the rainbows and the apisto as they do generally inhabit different regions of the tank, your right the corys are more likely to blunder into the apisto territory. Glad to hear you have found some females for him, if they do breed the females can be quite moody and aggressive especially to anyone who gets too close, breeding colours are bright yellow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Isy

• Thank You
    « Reply #17 on: September 25, 2017, 09:49:50 pm »
    Was the first time I heard about potential agression regarding those two species as well. Then again, I am not sure about anyone so far trying to keep those specific rainbows with Cockatoos...

They only had a few suspected females in a tank crowded with males the day I got Tweety, so I passed on them, I didn´t want to risk a fighting ground in my tank. It may be a 200l, but with a footprint of a 112l... 
    So hopefully they are sure about the female they´re holding for me! :)

Very glad to see Tweety isn´t shy at all, every once in a while I even get non blurry pictures! :D
    My husband likes him as well, even without "tigerstripes" (he likes stripy fish for some reason).

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 162
    • -Receive: 6657
    • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
    « Reply #18 on: September 26, 2017, 09:20:47 am »
    X-ray (pristella) tetras would be the best tetras for hard water.
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
    I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
    Ian

Offline Isy

• Thank You
    « Reply #19 on: September 26, 2017, 01:45:00 pm »
    X-ray (pristella) tetras would be the best tetras for hard water.

I have seen the Xray Tetra, and they would work, although I must admit they´re not my favourite, visually.
    We´re probably going to end up just picking up the female Apisto and maybe some more shrimps for now...

As I am sitting at home sick the last few days with flu :censored2: I got to search around a bit and came back to Penguin Tetras, they seem rather hardy, alright with harder water and mainly within the upper and middle levels of the tank. I do remember seeing some at the LFS, just a bit concerned about their max. size and some reports of agression (Bottom of page: http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile36.html).
    They would have the advantage, should I soften the water and lower the pH for the Apistos in the long run, they´d appreciate it too. Although that wasn´t the plan to begin with, the little flaming fish in the tank got me thinking...

Maybe a little RO unit for christmas...? *applause* would need a bit of convincing the other half, but Tweety got his charms and he´s on my side  *grin*

Offline Gingerlove05

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 1755
    • -Receive: 2172
    « Reply #20 on: September 26, 2017, 04:49:32 pm »
    Apisto Cacs are not too fussy about their water, mine are in hard water (around 14dgh) and have bred and raised young. I got the idea for them after Ian mentioned there was a guy who kept and bred them successfully in london water :)
    The xrays dont look much on their own but i have seen a few decent sized shoals in lfs’s that look good.
    Sorry to hear about the flu hope you feel better soon, there seems to be a few going around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 162
    • -Receive: 6657
    • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
    « Reply #21 on: September 26, 2017, 05:20:55 pm »
    Penguins may be ok, as may Buenos Aires, but they are both bigger (up to 3") and really not as striking as a group of x-rays. (I've had all 3 types).

Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
    I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
    Ian

Offline Suelo

• Thank You
    • -Given: 323
    • -Receive: 653
    « Reply #22 on: September 26, 2017, 07:20:03 pm »
    I have to say, I saw a tankful of x-rays in my LFS yesterday, & I was really taken with them. They looked much more silvery than I had anticipated they would from photos.

Offline Newbie fishkeeper

• Thank You
    • -Given: 624
    • -Receive: 246
    « Reply #23 on: September 26, 2017, 08:29:34 pm »
    Good to here of your new additions. I have only had my apistos a few weeks but all seems peaceful and happy so far. I have a mixture of large rainbows, big group of cory and 6 brochis with them and seems the apistos are more interested in each other rather than any of the other fish. Btw from my experience, rainbows are not aggressive in the slightest although they do charge at food quite aggressively.

Offline chesterjohn

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 8
    • -Receive: 126
    « Reply #24 on: September 26, 2017, 08:40:39 pm »
    The aggression will be from the apisto and the celebes are peaceful and small so would be on the receiving end of it. But I don't see that being a problem, the celebes are happy at the top and although apistos are quite aggressive for a small fish (especially females), they are more territorial than bullies and want to keep things away. They're much more aggressive between themselves in my experience.