• Total Topics: 70296
  • Online Today: 115
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 83
Total: 83

Author Topic: New Tank, Platys as cycling fish not eating flakes  (Read 207 times)

Offline periodsrcool

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
New Tank, Platys as cycling fish not eating flakes
« on: October 15, 2017, 11:53:44 am »
Hi everyone, I set up a 120L tank and put 5 platy (4f, 1m) and a bunch of live plants in it to kick-start the cycle.
Before and after I put the fish in I tested KH (~4), PH(7,2) and Nitrite (<0,01) and I will test Nitrate in a little while.
Before I stocked the Tank I used JBL Biotopol and JBL Denitrol.
When I put the Platy in they weren’t very shy, didn’t hide much and explored their new home. I kept the lights off for the rest of the day as to not stress them.
When I checked on them this morning and tested the water again they were happily swimming around already. The tests came out great but the water is a little cloudy and brown-ish. The colour is probably from the bogwood I put in, but I am a little concerned about the cloudiness. Could that come from the bacteria I put in? Before I got the fish i also used some Baking Soda to gently raise the KH because it was very low (~1-2).
The fish seem alright, they’re not very shy for their first day and don’t show any signs of discomfort apart from not eating.
I tried feeding them some flakes, they went for them but spit them out, almost as if they didn’t like them.
I really want to make sure my fish are comfortable and everything is fine, so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 162
    • -Receive: 6657
    • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
    Re: New Tank, Platys as cycling fish not eating flakes
    « Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 12:11:20 pm »
    What's the ammonia reading?

The Biotopol is just a water conditioner, and I'm not sure how the Denitrol works, so don't know if it's good enough to cycle a tank. I believe it only has heterotrophic bacteria, which help, but aren't everything that is required.
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
    I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
    Ian