• Total Topics: 70242
  • Online Today: 66
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 37
Total: 37

Author Topic: All about white spot and it's treatment  (Read 19258 times)

Snorkmaiden

Re: All about white spot and it's treatment
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2012, 04:14:59 pm »
Hi,
I have treated my tank with the medication given to me by my aquatic shop and unfortunately the outbreak of white spot has worsened!
I have just done a 20% water change have added some tonic salts but have left the temperature at 25 degrees. 
I have read so many different articles on how to treat this pesky problem that i'm now sooo confused.

Please could someone help me before my brain explodes  *frantic*

Thanks

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

lee1973

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2012, 12:31:19 pm »
    Just recently had a out break of this from some siver dollars i had to tranport,i used the turn up methord and half dosed the tank as i has scale less fish in there and it worked a treat.

Offline Graham

• Thank You
    • -Given: 0
    • -Receive: 0
    « Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012, 10:10:43 pm »
    Damn!! I got home tonight from work and as normal, one of my first jobs I do before I do anything else is to go to the fish tank and have a good check and tonight I couldn't believe my eyes, quite a few of the smaller size fish have got white spot - where the hell did that come from!! I introduced some guppies about 4 weeks ago but that's all, I'm really annoyed with myself because I just don't know how this has happened. I do frequent water changes and check the quality of the water and have never had any problems so what on earth has caused this? The poor little fish look awful, the larger fish look OK at the moment though. I will go to my local aquatics shop tomorrow and ask for their advice but in the meantime, have you any advice as to what treatment you would recommend as regards brand names because I know when I get there then there will be a raft brands claiming to do the same thing, I would like to go in there and buy something that I know you guys would either recommend or have used something and found that it works OK.

Any help and advise much appreciated.

Graham
    48" x 24" x 18" (about 320ltrs)
    Fluval G6 external filter
    6 x Platy
    2 x Pearl Gourami
    6 x Golden Gourami
    4 x Opaline Gourami
    6 x Boesemani Rainbow
    3 x Flying Foxes
    2 x Bristlenose Plecs

Offline robsyuk

• Thank You
    • -Given: 1
    • -Receive: 0
    « Reply #18 on: August 24, 2012, 12:54:59 pm »
    can anyone tell me how long the whitespot treatment usually stays in the tank for? Without any carbon and needing to treat for a fungus I don't want to counteract the chemicals if there is any whitespot treatment in there.

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 162
    • -Receive: 6657
    • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
    « Reply #19 on: August 25, 2012, 11:00:02 am »
    It mostly breaks down within a day or two. (some will break down quicker)
    Water changes will dilute it as well.
    « Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 11:59:48 am by plankton »
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
    I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
    Ian

Debbie Blencowe

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2012, 02:47:28 pm »
    Hi Graham,

I have used protozin and it worked very well!  Not sure if your species are delicate or not ( pretty sure Gourami's are tough as old boots!), but I used on Rams and Clown Loach previously, with excellent results!  I actually didn't half the dose, as I didn't know I had too, just dumb luck I guess *blink*

Offline lexy99071

• Thank You
    • -Receive: 38
    « Reply #21 on: October 11, 2012, 10:51:51 am »
    Oh so yesterday when i went to bed both of my neons had whits spots on them that i assume was ich and i was fully prepared to go out and get treatment, it was theyre 3rd day of it. exept that there are no spots this morning!!!!

and now im confused. Im still going to the pet store but would like advise on this? its wierd. I can see where the spots were on the tail but only lightly. I thought the peroid for these were 15 days? I kept the tank at 25 degrees

And my tank is uncycled (i know...) and i cant test for anything till tomorow when my kit comes in. i have a guppy and a cory in the tank too.

this is very wierd.

Offline lexy99071

• Thank You
    « Reply #22 on: October 11, 2012, 04:37:05 pm »
    Aparently White spot/ich can clear up on its own, if you boost the fishes immune system they are able to fight it off. which seems to be my case, i went ahead and bought something any way.

But for those of you wondering about the random out bursts, its present in every fish tank, and almost every fish. In healthy fish it wont come out and your fish can live its entire life carrying in but not having it. It only comes out when the immune system drops or they is stress to your fish such as adding new fish. Which is why you might get an outbrake when you add new fish to your tank.

I learnt all this today, and it makes sence really. I did always like Boilogy at school...

hope that helps anyone

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 162
    • -Receive: 6657
    • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
    « Reply #23 on: October 12, 2012, 10:08:33 am »
    The fact that the spots have fallen off just means that the life-cycle is continuing. The spores will just wait for the next victim to come along. Cleaning the substrate after the spots fall off is always a good idea. The fact that you're cycling with fish just leaves them open to any nasty that wants to have a go at them, as their immune systems will be lowered due to the toxins in the water.
    It shouldn't be omni-present as suggested in a lot of places, heat will stop the life-cycle from completing. The source of the fish is dependent as to whether the fish carry it as well. I used to believe that as well, and I can't find the paper that shows it can be got rid of.
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
    I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
    Ian

Offline lexy99071

• Thank You
    « Reply #24 on: October 12, 2012, 12:30:32 pm »
    Damn bad advise again?  but how can they have droped off so quickly?

I did a 75% ater change yesterday because of an amonia spike and my gravel cleaner has come in today so i shall do that in a minute.

Looks like i should should put some eshe exit in now then :/ well after the clean i dont want to dilute it already

Hannah88

Has my mollie got white spot?
    « Reply #25 on: February 25, 2013, 04:23:52 pm »
    I have a female balloon molly, anyone that knows mollie will understand my description ( I hope) the head of my molly is flat leading to the point of its mouth and the back.....on this flat part my Mollie has developed a round white spot...can anyone help me to as what this is PLLEEAASSSEEE????

Offline Euphoria

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 30
    • -Receive: 302
    « Reply #26 on: February 25, 2013, 04:30:37 pm »
    Are you able to get a picture?

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

Ginge2010

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2013, 05:06:08 pm »
    Iv never used white spot meds iv only had an out break once and that was when i moved all my fish from my old tank to my new tank and all i done was rise the temp of tank and added some sea salt issue was solved job done

TropicalLisa

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2013, 10:16:40 pm »
    Hi,
    Just after some advice please. Ive recently added 2 silver scats to an established tank (2 rams, 1 adult BN pleco, 2 x small BN plecos, Red Fin Shark, 2 x Red Line Torpedos, Dwarf Gourami, Golden Gourami & Noble Gourami) One has took to the tank brilliantly. He mixing and eating well, however the other has been extremely lethargic, has lost weight and doesn't eat much at all and seems to stay in the one place, his colour has changed and he is considerably duller than the healthy scat. I originally put it down to him not taking to the move as well as the other and hoped he would pick up soon.  Both were the same size and seemed healthy at the LFS.
    I noticed yesterday both scats had a few tiny white spots, the healthy one had 2 and the skinny one had a few more. The shark is rubbing up against the plants and wood to scratch himself but no spots visible. The Golden gourami has 2 whitespots on his mouth and the Noble gourami has a few near his mouth also.
    The only reason im confused is theyre all very active and dont seem to be ill at all, apart from our skinny scat.
    I can only assume this is white spot and will be running to the LFS in the morning, but wanted someone to confirm im doing the right thing and also if im ok to treat the scats as theyre scaleless.

Any help would be brilliant!

Offline Euphoria

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 30
    • -Receive: 302
    « Reply #29 on: May 27, 2013, 10:29:35 pm »
    Hi there,

Do you have a water test kit? If so what are your results for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

How long have you had the tank?

Are you able to get a pic of the fish with spots?