• Total Topics: 70242
  • Online Today: 75
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 61
Total: 61

Author Topic: Purigen : Re-charging / Regeneration  (Read 24961 times)

Offline sethyr

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Purigen : Re-charging / Regeneration
« on: November 13, 2011, 09:20:19 pm »
Hi all, have just re-charged my Purigen and thought it would be helpful to others to post some info and photo's on a 'clean' thread.

If an admin can 'sticky' this, that would be great?!  *cheers*

This is the official instructions from Seachem -

Regeneration: Soak in a 1:1 bleach:water solution for 24 hours in a non-metalic container in a well ventilated area and away from children. Rinse well, then soak for 8 hours with a solution containing 2 tablespoons of ChlorGuard™, Prime®, or equivalent dechlorinator per cup of water. Rinse well. Original color and full activity should now be restored and Purigen® is ready for reuse. Caution: some slime coat products may permanently foul Purigen® and render regeneration difficult. Do not reuse if odor of chlorine is detectable. In case of doubt, soak beads in small quantity of water and test for residual chlorine with a chlorine test kit.

Before I start, some of you may have instructions in your pack stating that you need to also perform an additional step of soaking for 4 hours in a PH Buffer. I have contacted Seachem regarding this and this is now not necessary -

It is no longer necessary to perform the last step in the process.  We have since changed all of the new labels and the website, however, there will still be old labels in circulation.  So all you need to do is soak the Purigen in a 1:1 bleach:water solution for 24 hours, followed by an 8 hour soak in a dechlorinator such as Prime.  After that, the Purigen should be ready to be placed back into the aquarium.

...and the reason...

We found that it was not necessary. After rinsing the product and placing it in a solution of Prime and water, there will be no impact on the pH so the buffer step was removed. This was a fairly recent change so there are still labels and instructions that have that step.

OK so here goes, I will give instructions in numbered format and these will relate to the order of the photos (as I can't add comments to the photos?)

Photo 1 - This is what the Purigen looked like when removed from my tank (I have a large piece of bogwood - Please note that if you have bogwood this could stain the purigen slightly) Please see this mail from Seachem -

Thank you for your question.  Sometimes the resin can become stained, especially if your tank contains driftwood or something else that may leach tannins into the water.  As long as the regeneration process has been followed exactly, then Purigen's ability to adsorb more organics will be restored, even if the resin does not change back to white.  Regular household bleach will be sufficient to fully regenerate the resin.

Photo 2 - As above - regular house hold bleach, cheapy will do! I'd suggest getting the thin bleach as this is easier to mix with the water!

Photo 3 - So, in a non metallic bowl I measured out 250ml of water and 250ml of bleach, doesn't matter how much of each you use as long as it is 1:1 equal parts, I just found that 500ml of total liquid covered my purigen sufficiently.

Photo 4 - Make sure that every few hours or so you give the Purigen a squish round in the solution, get the bag between your fingers and give it a good massage! get the beads from the middle to the surface and just give it a good  squish!!

Photo 5 - This is how it looked after about 24 hours

Photo 6 - After 24 hours, I removed from the bleach solution rinsed well and then placed in the Seachem Prime/water solution for the next 8 hours. The water did end up quite cloudy, I assume this was how it was meant to go!

Photo 7 - This is how it looked after 32 hours in various solutions!

Its now back in the tank - Water's gone a bit hazy but not sure if thats because i stirred the internal filter up or not! Will see what its like tomorrow, will also do a water test tomorrow to ensure everything is ok, will post results on this thread! Hopefully the hazinesss  will go over night! *dontknow*

Just a tip regarding Water conditioner. Seachem suggest to only use their product, Prime, when doing water changes and when regenerating the Purigen. This is because Prime does not contain a chemical called Amine. Apparently a lot of water conditioner products use this in their ingredients.

This was the email from sachem regarding this issue -

We do not recommend using an amine based conditioner at all when using Purigen in your filter.  It will not necessarily make the Purigen bad, but it could potentially cause issues when regenerating.  What happens is that the Purigen will pick up the amines and when you regenerate it, the chlorine from the bleach will bind with it, creating chloramines.  If you are not using Prime as the dechlorinator, then there is a possibility for the chloramines to release into the aquarium.  Many competing water conditioners on the market do not remove chloramines, and if they do, they do not include an ammonia binder, as this is the by-product when chloramine is reduced.  With that being said, we do not recommend using amine based products in conjunction with Purigen.  Make sense?  If you have any further questions or need more clarification, please let us know.

Please make sure you check your water conditioner if you are not using Prime (most companies are contactable by email so this should be no problem.

Hope this helps!  *cheers*

« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 09:30:07 pm by sethyr »
Juwel Vision 180  - External Ehiem 2224

6 Endler Guppies
5 Five Banded Barb
4 Yellow Honey Gourami
4 Harlequin Rasbora
4 Rummy Nose Tetra
3 Glow Light Tetra
2 Dwarf Neon Rainbow
2 Rosy Tetra
1 Cardinal Tetra
1 Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline alex the bear

• Thank You
    Re: Purigen : Re-charging / Regeneration
    « Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 09:18:01 am »
    Great job Sethyr, this information was findable on here but only if you had a spare couple of days *laugh*

Oh and thanks you have just reminded me mine needs recharging ;)

2 x 3ft 165ltr community

55ltr
    4 pygmy puffers

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 162
    • -Receive: 6657
    • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
    « Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 12:23:32 pm »
    Moved and stickied....  *grin*
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
    I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
    Ian

Offline stonec0ld

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 1
    • -Receive: 20
    « Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 12:25:36 pm »
    Good job seth, I was never going to get round to doing it

Offline sethyr

• Thank You
    « Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 12:37:41 pm »
    Thanks Ian!

No worries stoney! I just had a spare hour or so, so thought I'd get it done! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 Endler Guppies
    5 Five Banded Barb
    4 Yellow Honey Gourami
    4 Harlequin Rasbora
    4 Rummy Nose Tetra
    3 Glow Light Tetra
    2 Dwarf Neon Rainbow
    2 Rosy Tetra
    1 Cardinal Tetra
    1 Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid

Offline sethyr

• Thank You
    « Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 07:27:07 pm »
    Ok, well the Purigen has been back in for 2 days now and did a water test tonight and all looking good

Nitrite and Ammonia both at zero and Nitrate at 5ppm

So doesn't look like it has had any affect on the filter  *yahoo*

6 Endler Guppies
    5 Five Banded Barb
    4 Yellow Honey Gourami
    4 Harlequin Rasbora
    4 Rummy Nose Tetra
    3 Glow Light Tetra
    2 Dwarf Neon Rainbow
    2 Rosy Tetra
    1 Cardinal Tetra
    1 Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid

Offline FingersLambert

• Thank You
    • -Receive: 2
    « Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 02:34:50 pm »
    Do you use stress coat mate?

Offline IanB

• Thank You
    • -Receive: 1
    « Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 02:37:40 pm »
    Does Purigen have any nitrate reducing properties?
    700L - Sadly gone and sorely missed

2 in the planning.. 30L shrimp tank and 60L Juwel Monolux for shellies

Offline miss mollie

• Thank You
    • -Given: 4
    « Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 02:40:46 pm »
    Does Purigen have any nitrate reducing properties?

Not directly although it will reduce it by cleaning the water of organic. Buy then so will a water change, I know as I asked them.

Offline FingersLambert

• Thank You
    « Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 02:43:42 pm »
    I used it in my Oscar tank and it was seriously awesome. The water was crystal. I just couldn't re charge it and I think that's because I use stress coat. I would change de chlorinator but I still have 2 litres o the stuff left.....

Offline AzSquil

• Thank You
    « Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 02:05:50 am »
    i havent seen this product before, could anyone with any experience give me some info on what it is/does?
    also, i saw a comment about not being able to regenerate it if you use stress coat? i use nutra fin aqua plus.
    how much should you use?
    so yeah if anyone could help me out that would be great
    cheers
    330l
    1 Blue Peacock
    13 Yellow Labs
    13 Red Zebras
    1 Cherry Haplochromis
    1 Jewel Cichlid
    1 Malawi Eye Biter
    2 SP44 Red tails
    2 Labeotropheus Trewavasae Thumbi West

65l
    2 blue rams
    Male siamese fighter
    2 white cloud mountain minnows
    15 Glowlight Tetras

Offline sethyr

• Thank You
    « Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 06:33:02 am »
    Purigen is just another type of filter media but in most people's experience it is very good. You have to recharge every few months or so in a water and bleach solution. If you google it there is quite a bit on the net or visit Seachems website and they have all the info on there :-)

The problem arises apparently when you use a water conditioner that is 'amine' based(check the ingredients or maybe contact the manufacturer?)

This was the official line from Seachem when I spoke to them about it-

We do not recommend using an amine based conditioner at all when using Purigen in your filter.  It will not necessarily make the Purigen bad, but it could potentially cause issues when regenerating.  What happens is that the Purigen will pick up the amines and when you regenerate it, the chlorine from the bleach will bind with it, creating chloramines.  If you are not using Prime as the dechlorinator, then there is a possibility for the chloramines to release into the aquarium.  Many competing water conditioners on the market do not remove chloramines, and if they do, they do not include an ammonia binder, as this is the by-product when chloramine is reduced.  With that being said, we do not recommend using amine based products in conjunction with Purigen.

Hope this helps

6 Endler Guppies
    5 Five Banded Barb
    4 Yellow Honey Gourami
    4 Harlequin Rasbora
    4 Rummy Nose Tetra
    3 Glow Light Tetra
    2 Dwarf Neon Rainbow
    2 Rosy Tetra
    1 Cardinal Tetra
    1 Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid

Offline AzSquil

• Thank You
    « Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 11:51:08 pm »
    yeah that does help :) thanks

also, how much should you use? ill probably get some for my 700lph external and some for my top tray which has about 2500lph, my tank is 330l

thanks
    330l
    1 Blue Peacock
    13 Yellow Labs
    13 Red Zebras
    1 Cherry Haplochromis
    1 Jewel Cichlid
    1 Malawi Eye Biter
    2 SP44 Red tails
    2 Labeotropheus Trewavasae Thumbi West

65l
    2 blue rams
    Male siamese fighter
    2 white cloud mountain minnows
    15 Glowlight Tetras

Offline piker

• Thank You
    • -Given: 47
    • -Receive: 250
    « Reply #13 on: March 31, 2013, 07:58:37 pm »
    What size bag is the one in the pics?
    Do you know if tetra aquasafe is amine based?Cant find any definite info online.
    Fluval Venezia 190l Corner Tank
    1 Bristlenose Pleco
    3 Chocolate Gourami
    1 Glowlight Tetras
    9 Cardinal Tetras
    12 Rummynose Tetras
    3 Espei Rasbora
    11 Cory Sterbai
    3 Amano Shrimp
    Crystal Red Shrimp
    MTS snails
    2 Assassin Snails

36l Shrimp tank
    crystal red shrimp
    MTS Snails

Offline MartF

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 3
    • -Receive: 120
    • I'm not young enough to know everything!
    « Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 08:38:16 pm »
    Tetra Aquasafe is, if I remember right, OK to use with Purigen as it's not amine based.

But best of all is their own Seachem prime which only needs a 5ml cap full to treat 200 litres! From memory I think thats at least 10 times, (may be 20) more concentrated than Aquasafe. Plus it's safe to use with Purigen.

The Seachem bag is roughly 8 inches x 6 inches, cost a tenner but the Purigen is so fine it runs through almost everything else. Great stuff tho.

In one of my 800lph I have a 250ml  and in my internal I have the small 100ml which does come in a bag. I re charge them every couple of months when I do a filter clean and replace the old one with a previously re charged one.
    PLANTED DISCUS TANK: http://goo.gl/O2slun

UK's Only breeder of H. zosterae (Dwarf Seahorses)