• Total Topics: 70296
  • Online Today: 43
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 47
Total: 47

Author Topic: Purigen : Re-charging / Regeneration  (Read 32840 times)

Offline MartF

• Superhero Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 120
  • I'm not young enough to know everything!
Re: Purigen : Re-charging / Regeneration
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2014, 05:39:32 pm »
In the photo its a newly charged bag of white, (well cream) coloured Purigen going in. Its only some of dechlorinators that contain a 'slime coat' based on Amines  that can cause a problem.

What happens is when you bleach to regenerate the Purigen, the Amines from the Stress Coat product bind to the chlorine in the bleach and can release chloramines.

However, so long as you use Seachem Prime as your dechlorinator you should be fine as it also removes chloramines as well as chlorine.

This photo shows how dark mine usually go when I recharge, but if I happen to be cleaning the filter that its in then I change it anyway even if its not very dark. I always keep a spare bag so I can take the brown one out and put a clean one straight in.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 05:41:43 pm by MartF »
PLANTED DISCUS TANK: http://goo.gl/O2slun

UK's Only breeder of H. zosterae (Dwarf Seahorses)

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline GlassWalker

• Thank You
    • -Given: 26
    • -Receive: 317
    « Reply #31 on: January 18, 2014, 07:10:40 pm »
    That was the pic I was referring to, not the "clean" one :) I do use stress coat. No idea if it has amines, but API have said the slime coat effect is from synthetic polymers, without going into any more specifics. My concern is that I thought the bottle says that "slime coat" products (NOT stress coat specifically) can negatively affect the regeneration. I do use stress coat, in fact some went in the tank with purigen today. The prime bottle is in my kitchen. As said, I just pick a bottle of whatever bottle of dechlorinator is nearest to me at the time, and I have ended up with a lot bundled from used tanks.

Suppose the only way to tell is to try regeneration, which means I still need to get the bleach before I can do anything.
    Steven

T14: small fish planted tank
    T16: Bristlenose, garra rufa, barbs
    T17: chili rasbora, black bee shrimps
    M1: green algae, fish, flatworm :(
    M2: closed, converting to freshwater
    M3: softies and fish
    P1: fish, frogs (MIA), neighbour's cats

Offline MartF

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #32 on: January 18, 2014, 10:28:18 pm »
    That was the pic I was referring to, not the "clean" one :) I do use stress coat. No idea if it has amines, but API have said the slime coat effect is from synthetic polymers, without going into any more specifics. My concern is that I thought the bottle says that "slime coat" products (NOT stress coat specifically) can negatively affect the regeneration. I do use stress coat, in fact some went in the tank with purigen today. The prime bottle is in my kitchen. As said, I just pick a bottle of whatever bottle of dechlorinator is nearest to me at the time, and I have ended up with a lot bundled from used tanks.

Suppose the only way to tell is to try regeneration, which means I still need to get the bleach before I can do anything.

Slime coat is the same as stress coat but I do know that the API one is fine to use because they use a synthetic Polymer instead of amines. If a product does contain it it usually mentions it on the label.

Seachem have actually admitted that their wording needs to be revised. Currently they say that amines will render the Purigen useless but more recently they have clarified that by saying that providing you follow the instructions for recharging and finish it with Prime to remove the chlorine (and possible chloramines if amines have been involved) then there is no lasting damage to the Purigen.

Sounds like you are going to be OK, but you need to get the really cheap thin bleach to recharge it and then keep the Prime handy!

Offline GlassWalker

• Thank You
    • -Given: 26
    • -Receive: 317
    « Reply #33 on: January 18, 2014, 10:37:49 pm »
    Gotcha. I know the feeling about manufacturers saying bits of useful info here and there, but never updating their main details. Shall hunt el cheapo bleach tomorrow. Need to do a supermarket run anyway...
    Steven

T14: small fish planted tank
    T16: Bristlenose, garra rufa, barbs
    T17: chili rasbora, black bee shrimps
    M1: green algae, fish, flatworm :(
    M2: closed, converting to freshwater
    M3: softies and fish
    P1: fish, frogs (MIA), neighbour's cats

Offline Si_Faz

• Thank You
    • -Given: 8
    • -Receive: 4
    « Reply #34 on: January 27, 2014, 07:20:59 pm »
    So I think I need some of this stuff in my filter, I have an old bag of carbon to pull out, where would one find some at a good price?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    180Ltr Planted with FE Co2. Cardinals, Rummies, Cory, BN Plec and Oto's

64Ltr Planted. Guppies and Cory's

Offline MartF

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #35 on: January 27, 2014, 09:42:54 pm »
    You wont regret it, its brilliant stuff.

The more you have in your filter the better and the longer is lasts without recharging.

The 100ml comes ready bagged but the better 250ml does not come bagged. Seachem do supply their own but it £10!

Its an extremely fine mesh thats required as Purigen is made from tiny grains. Some have tried using nylons or tights but I think they rot after a while.

If you cant find a suitable bag then I can supply you with one for £3.99 inc p&p

This is the best place to buy the Purigen from....

http://www.aquariumonline.co.uk/aquarium_filtration_and_media/filter_media/seachem/seachem_purigen_250ml_P1390.html

Offline sarah-louise

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 158
    • -Receive: 19
    « Reply #36 on: February 05, 2014, 03:35:57 pm »
    I think 100ml bag will be suffient for my 200 litre tank won't it? It's not too pricey either so will it last six months do you think? If that's the case I will replace it with new rather than recharging....?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    200 litre fluval Roma, U4 internal and 306 external filter

2 pearl Gourami's
    10 x Cardinal Tetra
    10 x Rummy Nose Tetra
    6 x Harlequin Rasbora
    8 x False Julii Corydoras

Offline Bobcat

• Thank You
    • -Given: 4
    • -Receive: 9
    « Reply #37 on: February 05, 2014, 05:19:40 pm »
    I can understand the hesitancy when re-charging Purigen.
    The stuff is superb, no doubt about it. I have 4 bags myself.
    2 i haven't touched after recharging, simply because i swear i could smell some
    chlorine after the recharge, and the fact that I used an amine based API dechlorinator whilst running it.

They're still sitting there in my cupbpard for well over a year. I might stick them in again, after some heavy prime baths.

The other 2 have only ever seen prime. They need recharged, but I went blackwater for a good few months there and i've now let the tank return to normal.

What do you guys think about my original 2 bags? Worth a shot, or stick it in some old tank water and test for chlorine after a few hours?
    :D https://www.tropicalfishforums.co.uk/index.php?topic=34641.msg408811#msg408811

"I see myself as an intelligent, sensitive human, with the soul of a clown which forces me to blow it at the most important moments." Jim Morrison - The Doors.

Offline MartF

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #38 on: February 05, 2014, 06:28:55 pm »
    Bobcat, should be fine, sometimes you can something that smells like bleach but if you used the Prime at the doseage its rendered harmless.

I would stick them back in and give them a go.

Offline MartF

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #39 on: February 05, 2014, 06:45:00 pm »
    I think 100ml bag will be suffient for my 200 litre tank won't it? It's not too pricey either so will it last six months do you think? If that's the case I will replace it with new rather than recharging....?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The 100ml will probably do the job but the figures quoted are really for the minimum amount required. As the 100ml will be filtering 200 ltr I think it will only go for 2 or 3 months before it needs recharging, its also depending on the amount of particles in your tank. However, its very easy and safe to recharge, but you do need to use Seachem Prime dechlorinator and cheap thin bleach, the thick bleach is a different chemical and may not be properly neutralised by the Prime.

The good thing about the 100ml is that comes ready bagged, whereas the larger sizes don't. Its so fine that you either need their own bag which is £10 or a substitute - fortunately I sell a suitable one for £3.99 in postage.  *grin*

Whichever size you get I would always advise getting 2 lots, then when you take one out to recharge you can put a clean one straight in.

Once you have been using it for a while you will appreciate just how good and effective it is!

Offline Bobcat

• Thank You
    • -Given: 4
    • -Receive: 9
    « Reply #40 on: February 05, 2014, 06:46:31 pm »
    Thanks Mart.
    :D https://www.tropicalfishforums.co.uk/index.php?topic=34641.msg408811#msg408811

"I see myself as an intelligent, sensitive human, with the soul of a clown which forces me to blow it at the most important moments." Jim Morrison - The Doors.

Offline sarah-louise

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #41 on: February 05, 2014, 06:49:00 pm »
    Thanks Mart. I think I might start with the 100ml and see how I go. I only do 50 litre changes every week so I currently use tetra aqua safe for the tap water. Not sure if that would be ok to use alongside the purigen if I was to recharge it? The instructions don't say anything about amines?

2 pearl Gourami's
    10 x Cardinal Tetra
    10 x Rummy Nose Tetra
    6 x Harlequin Rasbora

Offline MartF

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #42 on: February 05, 2014, 06:54:08 pm »
    Thanks Mart. I think I might start with the 100ml and see how I go. I only do 50 litre changes every week so I currently use tetra aqua safe for the tap water. Not sure if that would be ok to use alongside the purigen if I was to recharge it? The instructions don't say anything about amines?

You do really have to use Seachem Prime, its the best there is anyway and its a lot cheaper than almost all other dechlorinators as its very concentrated. You have to use a dechlorinator anyway, so just change to Prime.

The amines are in most products that contain a slime coat, this is the makers website that explains about amines, its the 3rd question down...
    http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/Purigen.html

Offline sarah-louise

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #43 on: February 05, 2014, 07:00:15 pm »
    Thanks. I've had a read.  Yes what you are saying is true. I could just simply switch to the prime. X

2 pearl Gourami's
    10 x Cardinal Tetra
    10 x Rummy Nose Tetra
    6 x Harlequin Rasbora

Offline MartF

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #44 on: February 05, 2014, 08:37:37 pm »
    Not every LFS sells it and its blocked from ebay by the makers from selling it on there in the UK, but if you do a Google search it is widely available - if you can't get it locally.