• Total Topics: 70264
  • Online Today: 50
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 37
Total: 37

Author Topic: What does driftwood do the bristlenose plecos?  (Read 1203 times)

Offline iFallOffStuff

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 0
What does driftwood do the bristlenose plecos?
« on: February 02, 2018, 08:47:24 pm »
I finally stocked my tank today but now that I've got the fish in I saw that bristlenose plecos need driftwood to aid digestion. But is algae really hard to digest? I mean , there's tons of.algar so there's no shortage of.food but how long can they go without driftwood? Before I can grab some dw for my tank.

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline blackghost

• Thank You
    • -Given: 84
    • -Receive: 360
    Re: What does driftwood do the bristlenose plecos?
    « Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 10:54:01 pm »
    It isn't to aid digestion. It's part of their natural diet. They have gut bacteria waiting for lignin (from wood) to digest. It's not going to die anytime soon but it will be healthier with some nice wood to eat.
    « Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 10:58:52 pm by blackghost »

Offline Stephen

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 147
    • -Receive: 2052
    « Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 11:22:52 pm »
    Does best when offered a varied diet comprising sinking dried foods, frozen Daphnia, mosquito larvae, chironomid larvae (bloodworm), and prawn/shrimp, for, example, plus some fresh fruit, parboiled potato, etc.
    « Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 10:11:04 am by Stephenj »
    Look after your fish and the water, do regular water changes & maintenance, do your research and the hobby will be rewarding.
    All the best
    Stephen

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 162
    • -Receive: 6657
    • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
    « Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 09:47:17 am »
    I though BNs, being omnivores, didn't NEED wood, but they enjoy it?
    They also enjoy falling asleep on it and dropping off onto their backs....... *rolleyes*
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
    I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
    Ian

Offline iFallOffStuff

• Thank You
    • -Given: 11
    • -Receive: 0
    « Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 12:17:35 pm »
    They also enjoy falling asleep on it and dropping off onto their backs....... *rolleyes*

Thanks everyone , I'll pick up a small bit just to be safe but right now he seems happy just lieing on the underside of my rock

Offline DoubleDutch

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 936
    • -Receive: 924
    « Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 01:58:00 pm »
    In my opinion and to my knowledge BN's don't need wood like Clown plecs in their diet. I hardly ever see one of.my 7 BN's eat from it. Nowadays there is some info stated on Planet Catfish that they're thought to benefit of wood. They love it to hide btw.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G925F met Tapatalk

Offline blackghost

• Thank You
    • -Given: 84
    • -Receive: 360
    « Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 03:43:36 pm »
    According to PlanetCatfish BNs are actually vegetarians, not omnivores. Although all Plecs IME will eat other foods if they're there. Some, such as the 'commons' (Pterygoplichthys) and the old 'commons' (Hypostomus) will eat meaty foods before their natural diet of algae... although they all seem to eat algae aswell, if it's there.

Like all animals that eat plants, Plecs have gut bacteria to digest cellulose (green plants) or lignin (wood). Trouble is, without these foods the bacteria will die. This is common with wild caught herbivores, which will eat the poop of other herbivores to 'restock' their gut with bacteria. Personally I don't think a plec will eat wood unless it feels the need for it, but that's just conjecture. BNs kept without wood don't seem to suffer for it... Maybe they eat it if they have the bacteria and don't need to if they don't ?

For me the jury's out on this one, but I always keep wood with any plec that isn't a strict carnivore.
    « Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 03:46:08 pm by blackghost »

Offline Firmy

• Thank You
    • -Given: 14
    • -Receive: 3
    « Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 01:18:22 pm »
    My BN Pleco, is always on his driftwood, can't get him to move away from it, apart from when we feed him a Algae wafer, he will just go back to the underside of the wood and stay there

Offline surfer11

• Thank You
    • -Given: 7
    • -Receive: 2
    « Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 06:55:09 pm »
    I think the pleco's hang out on the bogwood because it's kinda like camouflage for them as well as a part of their diet.
    I have a pleco that lives inside a coconut shell and it will zip out and have a munch on a piece of bogwood then will scoot back under the coconut shell I don't know if it eats the coconut shell but that's it long term home, sometimes I have lifted the shell out and the pleco will still stay on even when I have lifted it clean out of the tank.