• Total Topics: 70244
  • Online Today: 66
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 45
Total: 46

Author Topic: Pleco help needed any advice may help me!  (Read 880 times)

llogan1988

Pleco help needed any advice may help me!
« on: February 15, 2018, 01:16:35 am »
ok, so i have had no help from my fishy pages on facebook, everyone appears as stumped as i am, i have a 7.5 inch choc pleco, at about 1 yesterday morning i noticed she was lying on her side behind her drift wood and i thought she had gotten caught in a plant, so i gently helped her out only to notice this dreaded bloat :/ i took some pictures when i first noticed and she is lethargic, dopey almost so i shell some peas and put them to bed, i had noticed though that on sunday there was very little in the way of kipper poo piles in the tank ike normal when i hoovered my gravel.

this morning she was in the same place when i turned the light off... she isn't suckering on with her mouth as she is literally on the tips of her fins at all times, she was trying to poo but it was about 5mm long and i have seen nothing else today. I gave her an Epsom salt bath incase shes maybe bunged up, still no poo. she is also very *floaty* and seems to like to sit propped head up against the glass. When i gave her her epsom dip i took the opertunity to check for any gravel in her mouth and could see none. I also gave her belly a wee feel, the spot below her gills is soft like i assume its meant to be while the spot above her left pelvic fin is hard and bumpy, and on the inside of her right pelvic fin is also hard and bumpy, above her vent is soft also. on the *hard* bits in her belly i can also see the *white bumpy bits* through her skin... not sure how well it shows up on the pics.  She is also defo not eating, not even hoovering up after the other residents get dinner.
I am currently recovering from a filter crash about 4 weeks ago, my amonia is sitting at 0.25ppm nitrities 0 and Nitrates are below 20 so i am not sure if that has anything to do with but im sure it won't be helping.. dosing with prime until it stabilises. These are a few pictures from tonight after her epsom salt bath.  also im not too sure whats going on with her barbels.... they were not like that last night.. they appear to be black at the ends and smaller than yesterday night...

Any advice would be great! Kipper belongs to my 5 year old daughter.. and I don't think i would be too popular if I somehow let her fish die O_o  sorry for the huge post, wanted to get enough info in as possible  :down:

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline blackghost

• Thank You
    • -Given: 84
    • -Receive: 358
    Re: Pleco help needed any advice may help me!
    « Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 01:25:13 am »
    It could be bloat, a blockage, 'gas', or an internal infection. Being 'up on its fins' suggests it might be gas, which could have been swallowed or produced by something it ate.

What has it eaten recently? Any large items? Is it's diet mainly plant-based or high protein?

The lack of poop suggests some kind of blockage...

You could try a bactericide for an internal infection. I don't think there's much else you can do.

llogan1988

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 01:36:40 am »
    she last ate that i witnessed maybe sunday or monday when i last gave her cucmber and i only saw her on it once. she gets algae wafers and cucumber/zuccini plus she hoovers fish food up...she is air bobbing rather a lot, im not entierly sure how i fix a fish with gas :/ not sure if when she was stuck would have had anything to do with it, she was fine tuesday night at about 11pm, as i moved some fry to the fry cooker, came back down at about 1:30 am and she was stuck and like this when i got her out..I am terrified that she is going to bloody explode or something.. because i did think about gas, if it doesn't come out will she pop O_o silly i know but im pretty sure a fish her size that will be messy as hell lol

llogan1988

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 01:54:35 am »

this is the white bits i mentioned, it feels bumpy. I tried to have a little look because it reminds me of an eggbound lizards belly, though i couldn't find anything out on common plec varieties only BN plecs. given they are impossible to breed in tanks i have no idea if thats a possibility, never mind not knowing if she is actually a she lol. she has literally not moved since about half hour before my op. shes still alive and breathing normally. other than continuing with epsom baths and maybe dosing for infections or even parasites i am stumped, shes not behaving normally at all :/

I guess its a waiting game...she does look like she is trying to poo though, it looks like cucumber poo as it is pale green, or could be peas if she ate last night any while i was asleep.

Offline Stephen

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 147
    • -Receive: 2052
    « Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 09:40:33 am »
    Can I ask what the tank size is please?
    What is the tank water temperature?
    What other fish are in the same tank?

Thank you
    Look after your fish and the water, do regular water changes & maintenance, do your research and the hobby will be rewarding.
    All the best
    Stephen

llogan1988

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 10:31:50 am »
    tank is 190ltr temp is at 27.5 and she's in with just guppies and platys, She is currently 7/7.5 inches long, she will be upgraded as i know she will get bigger and i have plans for an Oscar tank. My tank stock level is at 80%

Offline Stephen

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 147
    • -Receive: 2052
    « Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 11:15:28 am »
    tank is 190ltr temp is at 27.5 and she's in with just guppies and platys,
    That is very, very warm. Can I suggest 23/24C for all the fish.
    I would reduce the tank water temperature gradually over a week or so.
    Look after your fish and the water, do regular water changes & maintenance, do your research and the hobby will be rewarding.
    All the best
    Stephen

llogan1988

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 11:23:40 am »
    i had a suspected ick outbreak about 5/6 weeks ago so the temp was raised for that purpose and is being brought down

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 162
    • -Receive: 6657
    • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
    « Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 11:40:13 am »
    You have that coloured gravel.
    I've had that in the past, and the stuff comes off, and causes digestive problems (and death), has yours got any flakes or spaces?
    It is quite warm which will upset the metabolism somewhat, but it's only been short-term (I assume), although 5-6 weeks is a long time for "ich", you only need 14 days......that's the lifecycle.
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
    I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
    Ian

llogan1988

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 11:54:57 am »
    i actually just complained about the gravel to the place i bought it,  i've never noticed any of the paint in the tank, when hoovering it i've never seen any come out into the bucket. really annoyed with it though as i mixed it in with some really good stuff before the paint started coming off, not sure if its too late for kipper though to remove it and put some new stuff in. but i will defo be re-graveling this weekend incase that is what has caused it and to prevent any issues in the future

with regards to the ich, everytime i tried to lower the heat  another spot appeared, it seemed to some back everytime i got the temp to about 25 which is why its taken so long. but seems to be away for good this time, fingers crossed.