• Total Topics: 70264
  • Online Today: 50
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 54
Total: 55

Author Topic: Synodontis Id and breeding help  (Read 725 times)

Offline kelynrowan

• Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 5
  • Holly
Synodontis Id and breeding help
« on: April 18, 2018, 03:03:03 pm »
Hello,

I bought two synodontis about just over a year ago and I think I have a male and a female. They were being sold under petricola but after reading several forms I now think they might be lucipinnis? Or are they even the same species since I bought them from the same place but a month apart.

The one I believe is female has always been broader in shape but for the last 2 months she has been more swollen than usual, I was just wondering if she is gravid? I've placed a breeding set up in the tank but no eggs have been laid. The male seems interested and keeps chasing her around the tank. They both go in the breeding set up and the male has a couple of times shown breeding behaviour, wrapping himself around her and shaking. I have been trying to breed them for the last 2 months with no success.

Is breeding the same for petricola and lucipinnis?

I have attached pictures, sorry for the quality.

Thanks for any help.
642242-0 [ Specified attachment is not available ] [ Specified attachment is not available ] [ Specified attachment is not available ] [ Specified attachment is not available ]
80L Tank - 26C - 4 Dwarf Rainbow, 1 Peppered Cory, 1 Long-finned Bristlenose, 2 Petricola/Lucipinnis, Cherry Shrimp.
18L Tank - 27C - Cherry Shrimp, 67 Rainbow Fry + 1 two weeks older

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline blackghost

• Thank You
    • -Given: 84
    • -Receive: 360
    Re: Synodontis Id and breeding help
    « Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 05:40:19 pm »
    They look like lucipinnis to me (almost all "petricola" in the trade are lucipinnis). As for breeding, Synodontis very rarely breed in aquaria. I'm not that up to date on the Rift Synos, but I know there are a few people on Facebook who have managed to breed them. I believe they're egg-scatterers like most Synos. Maybe a post on planetcatfish (or Facebook) would help...

Offline Fluke

• Thank You
    • -Given: 0
    • -Receive: 7
    « Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 04:45:07 pm »
    I'm no expert on Synos by any stretch of the imagination but these look more like true Cuckoo cats (multipunctata) - well to me anyway. But like I said I'm no expert. Hopefully others on here can either confirm or shoot me down in flames with the correct answer  *grin*.
    If this is the case - it may well explain the females reluctance to spawn as they require the presense of mouth brooding rift cichlids in their tank. They are parasitic (hence the cuckoo namesake) and will lay their own eggs with those of the cichlids.
    Apparently it is possible without cichlids but very rare.

Offline blackghost

• Thank You
    • -Given: 84
    • -Receive: 360
    « Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 09:02:36 pm »
    multipunctatus doesn't have a white leading edge to the dorsal fin. It has a clear-to-whiteish trailing edge.

Offline Fluke

• Thank You
    « Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 09:33:08 pm »
    Ahh I see, oh well - didn't take long for my extensive knowledge of synos to be picked apart lol

Offline Gingerlove05

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 1755
    • -Receive: 2172
    « Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 10:02:36 pm »
    Lol dont worry BG is a master at identifying fish, i am constantly in awe of how hes around 99.9% right (although i dont think i’ve seen him get it wrong yet!  *grin*)

Offline Fluke

• Thank You
    « Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 11:29:05 pm »
    A handy guy to have around haha

Offline surfer11

• Thank You
    • -Given: 7
    • -Receive: 2
    « Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 08:51:58 pm »
    Hi
    If you look on you tube you will be able to find breeding videos on how to breed these cats. The female will bloat up with eggs when you see this it's time to put them into a breeding tank. You will need a tank with a spotless clean bare bottom tank and egg crate a few inches from the bottom sitting on some pieces of cut PVC tubing with some stones on top to help hold it down, this is to prevent the fish from eating their own eggs, try to starve the fish for a few days as this will prevent waste from the fish sinking onto the eggs and spoiling them. Once the fish have scattered all their eggs take them out and take the egg crate out as well as everything else, leaving just the eggs then add a couple of air stones to help circulate the water and use a sponge filter in the tank, don't have the air circulation to harsh as the fry are only about 1 mm when they hatch. You might want to add a little methylene blue to help prevent any fungus spoiling the eggs. There are other ways of setting up a breeding tank but I think this is the simplest way of doing it.
    Best of luck let us know how you get on.