• Total Topics: 70296
  • Online Today: 115
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 72
Total: 72

Author Topic: First time ever I cycled a tank.  (Read 578 times)

Offline Littleoldman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 1
First time ever I cycled a tank.
« on: August 04, 2018, 01:18:18 pm »
I have returned to fish keeping after 45 years and am completely absorbed by it.  Bought the Evolution Aqua eafreshwater  tank 249 liter. I watched dozens of you tube videos on fishless cycling until my head fried. So I looked on this site and found Mrs T A Wayne's simple to follow directions of how to cycle.  I did exactly what she suggested and it really worked.  Thanks Mrs Wayne. Started on the 5th of July and added ammonia as she directed, on the 22nd of July I had 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 80 nitrate. Did a 50% water change and added 7 pigmy corys, 8 neon tetras 2 endlers and a load of cherry shrimp. Since I have added 5 rummynose and 6 blue tetra. And 5 assassin snails. Did a water test yesterday and it showed 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 10 nitrate. Did it all twice to confirm. I'm so happy. I have an Oase 350T filter with 3kg BIohome in it. I'm running co2, and have dosed the plants with Tropica plant food once a week, I finished that bottle so have George Farmer's liquid feed to use next.  Plants are growing well.  My question is how often do I water change? It's been a week since I did the 50% one. I am adding API Stress coat with the water change.  I wrote it all down so I have it in detail if someone wants a copy.

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline Gingerlove05

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 1755
    • -Receive: 2172
    Re: First time ever I cycled a tank.
    « Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 03:26:26 pm »
    Weekly water changes are normally recommended, and depending on stocking level would also determine the amount required. I do around 25-40% changes in my tanks (depends which tank and how long since the last change) i try to do them weekly but sometimes i run over or under, but thats just because of my shifts.
    But otherwise a regular maintenance schedule is best (weekly/fortnightly).

Offline Littleoldman

• Thank You
    • -Given: 17
    • -Receive: 1
    Re: First time ever I cycled a tank.
    « Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 04:49:08 pm »
    Thanks, will do one tomorrow, it will give me a chance to clean up as well.