• Total Topics: 70248
  • Online Today: 72
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 68
Total: 68

Author Topic: Jon's tank log(s)  (Read 6298 times)

Offline audigex

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 188
  • I didn't know you spoke whale!
Re: Jon's tank log(s)
« Reply #105 on: December 10, 2018, 05:05:07 pm »
Just about 1 month since the third and final death, and the remaining three fish are absolutely fine. I've concluded that it was almost certainly the high protein Bug Bites: the timing of them falling ill was just far too coincidental for anything else to make sense, and the way the others stopped getting sick after I stopped feeding it.

I have slightly adjusted their feeding since, but not that dramatically - they still get the other three pellets they had before, with slightly more blackworm than previously. I need to expand my blackworm culturing though - I've added two more batches of purchased worms to my culture, but they don't reproduce fast enough to feed as often as I'd like and I'm still having to buy worms weekly just for feeding. I'm thinking of finding a cheap used tank purely for worm culturing, so I can really scale that up.

In the meantime, I've re-homed the two Severums to a guy from my LFS: he has a bigger tank than mine (6ft, 500+ litre) and will be keeping them with another Severum or two, which should be better for territories, aggression balancing, and hiding places etc.

The 240 litre tank has therefore had the first proper clean in well over 7 years, and is now sat empty while I decorate my living room. It will be re-purposed as a community planted tank, as a test of my plant-keeping skills before my hopefully-one-day big big tank.

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 162
    • -Receive: 6657
    • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
    « Reply #106 on: December 11, 2018, 08:37:31 am »
    Glad it's settled down now.
    Good news for the sevs.
    Look forward to the new setup.
    *grin*
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
    I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
    Ian

Offline Stephen

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 147
    • -Receive: 2052
    « Reply #107 on: December 11, 2018, 07:17:56 pm »
    Glad that all seems well now.
    Look after your fish and the water, do regular water changes & maintenance, do your research and the hobby will be rewarding.
    All the best
    Stephen

Offline audigex

• Thank You
    « Reply #108 on: March 25, 2019, 02:37:05 am »
    Just an update because I haven’t for a while

No further issues with the three remaining fish. They’re still super shy but are growing so can’t stay quite as well hidden so much of the time.

I’ve rehomed my large cichlids to a guy from my LFS who keeps similar fish: that tank will become a planted community at some point after I decorate my living room, but for now it’s out of action.

Oh and I managed to crash my blackworm culture: I added too many works for the number of airholes I think, as I’d just added a couple of batches: not the end of the world as they were only for food, just a bit of a nuisance.

Here’s one of the few times I’ve caught one in the open: excuse the crap photography, the tank is unlit and they only come out when the room is fairly dark too.

I’ve settled on 30c for the tank temperature, and three days a week of blackworm, 2 of pellets, and two fast days. Hardness from my tap is still a nuisance but I basically just treat it like RO and remineralise like I used to with the Cichlids, so no big deal there

Offline audigex

• Thank You
    « Reply #109 on: March 25, 2019, 02:41:05 am »
    And a marginally better shot

Offline Gingerlove05

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 1755
    • -Receive: 2172
    « Reply #110 on: March 25, 2019, 04:49:02 am »
    Nice to see and hear the last few are all ok :)
    I do love a zebra plec, even if i cant keep them!  *grin*

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 162
    • -Receive: 6657
    • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
    « Reply #111 on: March 25, 2019, 09:35:27 am »
    Glad it's settled down now Jon, hope it stays that way and you hear the patter of tiny fins. :)
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
    I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
    Ian