• Total Topics: 70296
  • Online Today: 43
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 35
Total: 35

Author Topic: Hoplo catfish (spotted hoplo) missing  (Read 1051 times)

Offline Clairethornn

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 2
Hoplo catfish (spotted hoplo) missing
« on: September 29, 2018, 09:37:26 pm »
Hello!

So I have a problem, well more of a please tell me I’m not insane.

I have 3 spotted hoplos.

A couple of weeks ago 1 of them reappeared after vanishing for 2 weeks, we checked the old filter box at the back, plants (although at the moment only have one, hopefully getting more tomorrow now we removed the old box). Checked the actual filter although there is no way he would of fitted, checked behind the heater but again same situation as the filter.

Checked under the tank and behind and sides although there’s no gap he could of got through.

Was checking the tank today and he’s vanished again (he’s is called Houdini after his last vanished act).

My question is.... do they burrow and hide in sand? We do have wood and 1 rock but checked them as well and he’s literally no where. The biggest thing in the tank is a fellow hoplo who’s mouth is no where near big enough to gobble Houdini!

I was stunned when he first vanished, I was baffeled when he returned with no signs of injury 2 weeks later. Now I’m even more baffeled.
78 litre tank
-1 Betta (Ozean)

190 litre tank
-3 hoplo catfish (spotted)
-1 tetra (I know they need to be in groups we don’t want anymore yet and are deciding what to do but he’s been happy with the platy)
-1 platy (rescued from work sadly 1 died as they were left for about a week on a plastic tank with no heater or filter.

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 162
    • -Receive: 6657
    • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
    Re: Hoplo catfish (spotted hoplo) missing
    « Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 08:40:50 am »
    There must be somewhere they can hide really well, but there are references that hoplos do bury themselves.....which is a new one on me as well.......
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
    I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
    Ian

Offline Clairethornn

• Thank You
    • -Given: 5
    • -Receive: 2
    Re: Hoplo catfish (spotted hoplo) missing
    « Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 09:58:54 am »
    Thank you! Then I am going to assume he is burying himself. Well I hope so! Because I don’t know where he vanished to else! But two weeks is a long time and I’m worried he’ll do it again!
    78 litre tank
    -1 Betta (Ozean)

190 litre tank
    -3 hoplo catfish (spotted)
    -1 tetra (I know they need to be in groups we don’t want anymore yet and are deciding what to do but he’s been happy with the platy)
    -1 platy (rescued from work sadly 1 died as they were left for about a week on a plastic tank with no heater or filter.