• Total Topics: 70264
  • Online Today: 50
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 43
Total: 44

Author Topic: Poorly pleco  (Read 672 times)

Offline carranty

• Est. Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 51
  • -Receive: 76
Poorly pleco
« on: October 03, 2018, 04:42:12 pm »
Hey guys,

Way back when I first set up my tank, nearly four years ago now, I used some fine thread to attach java moss to my drift wood. Unfortunately, I must have used something which doesn't decay because last week my pleco got a piece stuck around his head like a noose. It went under his chin, and was trapped in his gills (sort of between the inside of the gill and his barbs). I'm not sure how long he was in this state, I don't see him often as he likes to hide below & behind the driftwood so it could have been a week or more.

I managed to remove it last weekend - i had to sedate him with a little clove oil and cut it away with scissors, a very scary experience - but his gill barbs (at least that's what I'm assuming they are) are still very pronounced. I'm not sure if there's still an injury, or he's unable to retract them, or whats going on. I believe I've removed the entirety of the thread, and have been doing daily 50% water changes since Sunday to keep the water as clean as possible. He also seems to be acting normally (just chillin and chewing on the drift wood all day long!)657192-0

I've attached a photo of his left side so you can see what I mean. Any ideas on what I can do?

Tank 1 : AquaEl 112L
             1 x Flash Pleco, 12 x Espei Rasbora, 12 x Cardinal Tetra, 1 x Apple Snail

Tank 2 : FLuval Roma 90L
             12 x Celestial Pearl Danio, 3 x (True) Honey Gourami, 6 x Bronze Cory

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline Gingerlove05

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 1755
    • -Receive: 2172
    Re: Poorly pleco
    « Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 06:42:42 pm »
    From what i can see and find online the ordontode spines look normal for a flash, they seem to be visible on them at all times.

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 162
    • -Receive: 6657
    • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
    « Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 06:43:17 pm »
    Are you sure it just hasn't matured, and this is why (probably) he has got stuck?
    Keep doing what you're doing with a drop of Melafix if you think there could still be damage to prevent secondary problems and promote regrowth/healing.
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
    I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
    Ian

Offline carranty

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 51
    • -Receive: 76
    « Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 09:08:01 pm »
    Thanks for the replies. I guess I must just not have noticed the barbs until now, he certainly seems fine in all other respects. I'll keep a close eye on him for the next few days just to be on the safe side.

Cheers.
    Tank 1 : AquaEl 112L
                 1 x Flash Pleco, 12 x Espei Rasbora, 12 x Cardinal Tetra, 1 x Apple Snail

Tank 2 : FLuval Roma 90L
                 12 x Celestial Pearl Danio, 3 x (True) Honey Gourami, 6 x Bronze Cory