• Total Topics: 70296
  • Online Today: 115
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 61
Total: 61

Author Topic: New tank - it all starts today!  (Read 2569 times)

Offline Catzilla

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
Re: New tank - it all starts today!
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2019, 11:39:08 pm »
So I filled the tank today. Some minor hiccups. I didn’t fill it enough so the sump didn’t work as it should, and now it’s crazy noisy. Hopefully I have a fix for that but will be thinking about that for a while.

After visiting the LFS  today I found out what the seeds are. Well, I saw the end result. The guy in the shop still told me they were HC and then changed his mind and said they are Monte Carlo. I took a picture as I know it neither of those. Their algae has exploded after I was there about a week ago. Nothing last week and now so much everywhere in a lot of the tanks. They’re not even linked, they’re  free standing. 

Anyway. Picture of the plant. And picture of my filled tank with a few additional plants today. 

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 162
    • -Receive: 6657
    • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
    « Reply #16 on: January 04, 2019, 09:15:08 am »
    Yours looks much better than theirs! ;) *grin*
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
    I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
    Ian

Offline VC

• Thank You
    • -Given: 92
    • -Receive: 27
    « Reply #17 on: January 04, 2019, 09:52:48 am »
    Tank looks lovely!
    Beginner. Fluval Roma 240 with Fluval 306 external filter, 300w heater and LED light unit (included with tank). Added Eheim air pump 400.

Water: 1.68 dGh

2 Bolivian Rams
    19 Harlequin Rasboras
    15 Rummynose Tetras
    10 Panda Corydoras
    3 Amino shrimp
    Mild algae

Offline stuaz

• Thank You
    • -Given: 3
    • -Receive: 98
    « Reply #18 on: January 04, 2019, 02:05:45 pm »
    The plants in there tank look kinda like Hygrophila Polysperma 'Tiger' with some other random ones mixed in.

Offline Catzilla

• Thank You
    « Reply #19 on: January 04, 2019, 09:48:45 pm »
    Well that’s most likely what I have then. Thanks Stuaz. I’ll take a look at Hygrophilia Polysperma and decide if I should strip the seedlings out now or later  ;)

Offline Catzilla

• Thank You
    « Reply #20 on: January 06, 2019, 09:48:05 pm »
    Hey guys, I’m only a few days into my cycle but getting excited with the prospect of getting the first fish. Not too long to wait now. I added a few more plants yesterday. Some crypts another Anubias and some crazy wild Brazilian pennywort. I’m hoping that will take over the tank nicely.

I have one query. The heater is set up in the sump and turned up to 28 in an effort to heat the tank but the tank temp is only showing as 22. I move the heater around and it fluctuates between 19 and 22. Hmm. Do I need a second heater? Is that normal for a sump heater to need to be turned up higher? I’m still learning about this sump! Its a 300w heater. And positioned like this...

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 162
    • -Receive: 6657
    • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
    « Reply #21 on: January 07, 2019, 10:28:44 am »
    Put it under the water, it may be struggling directly next to the inlet/outlet whichever that is.
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
    I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
    Ian

Offline Catzilla

• Thank You
    « Reply #22 on: January 07, 2019, 02:47:52 pm »
    Yeah I did think that might be the case. The other possibility being that the thermometer may be dodgy. I picked up a new one on the way home from work today and it turns out the other one is on the blink. The old one is digital and the new one is glass. I popped it in and right away it shot up to the high 20s. Good job I don’t have any fish on there yet. Poached.

Offline Catzilla

• Thank You
    « Reply #23 on: January 17, 2019, 01:14:12 pm »
    My cycle seems to be wrapping up now. I did chuck some filter starting bacteria in as well as borrowed filter media so I’m happy that it’s only been a couple of weeks. I think it should be done for the weekend. Fingers crossed. I’ve been planning fish for a while but I was wondering about shrimp. I’ve decided amano shrimp are best suited due to fish choices and I’m hoping they won’t get into the sump so easily but my main question is will the tank have enough food in there for them yet? Or is it best to wait to get them. There is a rather large amount of white fluffy algae on the bogwood. Not sure if they might like that type, I was thinking of scrubbing a bit off just as I do the big water change unless it’s good shrimp food.

Offline Catzilla

• Thank You
    « Reply #24 on: January 17, 2019, 01:15:38 pm »
    Plenty of this algae about.

Offline stuaz

• Thank You
    « Reply #25 on: January 17, 2019, 07:31:12 pm »
    Shrimp will love that stuff on the wood.

It's normal for "new wood" to get it, it will go on its own, but yeah shrimp will eat it.

Offline Catzilla

• Thank You
    « Reply #26 on: January 19, 2019, 07:56:46 pm »
    I’m glad that it’ll resolve on its own as it looks a bit fluffy in there.

I don’t think the tank is ready for fish this weekend after all. Probably one day next week, so hopefully a trip to the LFS next weekend. I think I’m a bit nervous about it, so best to be overly cautious. After all this waiting it would be a bit silly to rush the last few days. You need some serious patience for this part! What I have learnt today is that my 4 yr old son wants to choose a fish to go in the tank. He has been fairly uninterested up until now, so I’m pleased. Although all he has asked for today is a baby shark (doo doo, doo doo, doo doo). So bedtime reading this week will be fish books, hopefully he can scale down his choice.

More good news, my Anubias that has a lot of brown leaves is actually shooting out a new leaf. Actually all of the anubias have at least one new leaf. The small bonsai ones are lovely, I have a medium kind and then this one with (brown patchy) leaves as large as the palm of my hand. I really thought I was going to loose it.

I also got some water lettuce and some red root floating plants. I just wish I knew how to stop them whirling around the tank. I cut the inside out of a takeaway lid and now they all just whirl around in that. Back to the drawing board.

Offline Catzilla

• Thank You
    « Reply #27 on: January 19, 2019, 09:07:04 pm »
    Quick question guys. I’ve got the reef 2000 pump in my sump which has the flow rate of 2000ltrs per hr but you can have it on 20 settings so 1 - 20 1 being 100 ltrs per hour 2 - 200 ltrs and so on.  My tank is 235 ltrs without displacement, so maybe 200 total. So what setting would you have it on?

I’m really struggling to get the balance right. If I turn it up over 4 only 400 ltrs an hour it empties that section of my sump so all I get is air, and noise. I’m not really sure why that section doesn’t fill quick enough. .

Any advice?

Offline stuaz

• Thank You
    « Reply #28 on: January 20, 2019, 01:43:11 pm »

I don’t think the tank is ready for fish this weekend after all. Probably one day next week, so hopefully a trip to the LFS next weekend. I think I’m a bit nervous about it, so best to be overly cautious. After all this waiting it would be a bit silly to rush the last few days. You need some serious patience for this part! What I have learnt today is that my 4 yr old son wants to choose a fish to go in the tank. He has been fairly uninterested up until now, so I’m pleased. Although all he has asked for today is a baby shark (doo doo, doo doo, doo doo). So bedtime reading this week will be fish books, hopefully he can scale down his choice.

More good news, my Anubias that has a lot of brown leaves is actually shooting out a new leaf. Actually all of the anubias have at least one new leaf. The small bonsai ones are lovely, I have a medium kind and then this one with (brown patchy) leaves as large as the palm of my hand. I really thought I was going to loose it.

I also got some water lettuce and some red root floating plants. I just wish I knew how to stop them whirling around the tank. I cut the inside out of a takeaway lid and now they all just whirl around in that. Back to the drawing board.

You can use some airline tubing and some suction cups to make a barrier and stop they going everywhere.

Offline thebendyfox

• Thank You
    • -Given: 1
    • -Receive: 70
    • Alea Iacta Est
    « Reply #29 on: January 28, 2019, 10:54:27 am »

With your plants, as soon as leaves start to go brown and die off - cut them out as close to the base as you possibly can. You will actively encourage and help the plant maintain healthy leaves and give new growth.

60ltr - House move completed, approval from Mrs gained, pending funds.