• Total Topics: 70296
  • Online Today: 115
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 72
Total: 72

Author Topic: Stephen's 6 foot (600L) tank log & stocking evolution  (Read 132612 times)

Offline Stephen

• TFF Staff Retired
  • Superhero Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 147
  • -Receive: 2052
Re: Stephen's 6 foot (600L) tank log & stocking evolution
« Reply #1335 on: July 20, 2019, 09:12:56 am »
I saw a chiropractor yesterday.
According to the chiropractor I have a stiffening up of the S1 joint (sacroiliac joint) which is why the muscle has not relaxed and why it's still painful.
That was addressed and I have another follow up appointment next week. I also have another massage booked for the following week.

Any tank cleaning or maintenance will have to wait a little longer. My tank is never dirty, it's always clean but I'm fussy and I just like it spotless for my fish and my viewing.
The photos will have to wait too until after the maintenance.

I am also looking at changing my lighting to LED. (see post HERE)
If I do successfully upgrade to LED lighting then it is quite likely that I'll start using proper CO2.
I must admit that I have neglected my plants over the past month or so.
I am still waiting for a reply to my email in respect of T5 LEDs.
My questions were:-
1. What is the colour temperature as indicated in degrees Kelvin (°K) - this might be in the range of 4000K to 8000K
2. Also what is the colour rendering index (CRI) - this might be in the range of 50 to 100.
It has only been 10 days or so but I'm keen to upgrade so 10 days seems ages.

I have piurchased 2 x Eheim streamON circulation pumps which I plan to use (on timers) when I get the LED upgrade sorted.
I also plan on buying some new plants to replace the ones that have been neglected and are looking a bit sorry.

I just need to sort my back out which is literally a PITA.
Look after your fish and the water, do regular water changes & maintenance, do your research and the hobby will be rewarding.
All the best
Stephen

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 162
    • -Receive: 6657
    • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
    « Reply #1336 on: July 20, 2019, 09:36:16 am »
    Hope the manipulation works for you. :)
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
    I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
    Ian

Offline Kwak Rider

• Thank You
    • -Given: 4
    • -Receive: 30
    « Reply #1337 on: July 20, 2019, 10:35:44 am »
    Hopefully now that they have diagnosed what's causing your pain they can now sort it and get you some relief.

I think after 10 days I would send them another email, the information that you have asked for should be at hand and shouldn't be difficult  for them to provide. On saying that I've had to look up CRI as I hadn't heard of that before, interesting read and something I'll look out for in future.  thumbsup4

Best of luck on getting sorted on both fronts (no pun intended!!)   

Offline Stephen

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #1338 on: July 20, 2019, 11:04:18 am »
    Hope the manipulation works for you. :)
    Thanks Ian

As the pain was lasting for quite a while I thought a chiropractor might help.
    I was basically trying to eliminate things that a good massage did not address (although after a good massage things were a lot better).
    I'm a strong believer in massage and other forms of alternative therapies, although I have not tried acupuncture. Surgery is always the last resort and only considered when other avenues have failed.
    When you are unable to exercise due to issues, (running is impossible, lifting and walking is limited, difficult and painful), then seeking alternative therapy works for me (it certainly helps).
    I can highly recommend a massage but research the therapist first as many are not properly qualified or experienced, I have experienced some useless ones over the years.
    Look after your fish and the water, do regular water changes & maintenance, do your research and the hobby will be rewarding.
    All the best
    Stephen

Offline Stephen

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #1339 on: July 20, 2019, 11:20:38 am »
    Hopefully now that they have diagnosed what's causing your pain they can now sort it and get you some relief.

I think after 10 days I would send them another email, the information that you have asked for should be at hand and shouldn't be difficult  for them to provide. On saying that I've had to look up CRI as I hadn't heard of that before, interesting read and something I'll look out for in future.  thumbsup4

Best of luck on getting sorted on both fronts (no pun intended!!)
    Thanks Kevin

I have emailed them again in respect of the T5 LEDs but not had a reply yet. I will likely phone them next week.
    Many tubes and LEDs have the rating printed on the packaging but not these.
    I also realised that the Aquarium Systems T5 LEDS are exactly the same as the Arcadia T5 LEDs just different packaging but neither have the information.
    For a tropical, planted set up then I'm looking at a colour temperature of 6500°K (degrees Kelvin) and a colour rendering index (CRI) of something around 80/85/90.
    I'm fairly sure that the T5 LEDs will be around the correct range, I just want confirmation.
    I'm only going to upgrade the rear light unit (2 x 849mm & 2 x 549mm) as this is where the plants are, I will leave the front light unit with the T5 tubes (also 2 x 849mm & 2 x 549mm).
    If an answer is not forthcoming from the manufacturer then I might just bite the bullet and get them anyway.
    All the best
    Stephen

Offline Stephen

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #1340 on: July 23, 2019, 05:10:25 pm »
    I spoke directly to Aquarium Systems today.

I have ordered (via SwellUK) some T5 LEDs to replace some T5s:-
    1 x Aquarium Systems T5 LED Freshwater Pro 8000k 55cm
    1 x Aquarium Systems T5 LED Freshwater Pro 8000k 85cm
    1 x Aquarium Systems T5 LED Original Tropical Pro 55cm
    1 x Aquarium Systems T5 LED Original Tropical Pro 85cm

This will fill the one bank of lights and replace the current T5s.
    I will leave the other bank as it is just to see what effect the T5 LEDS have.

The mix should be more aesthetically pleasing.
    All the best
    Stephen

Offline Kwak Rider

• Thank You
    « Reply #1341 on: July 23, 2019, 08:41:43 pm »
    Glad you're getting it sorted and hope you're happy with your purchase.  thumbsup4

It'll be interesting to see the comparison pictures to see if they live up to the manufacturers claims of x5 more light output, especially as you have a decent amount of depth with your tank. I wouldn't have thought the individual LED's on the tube can be very powerful with the units being 8 and 12w respectively although I appreciate that wattage doesn't always relate to high light output.

Offline Stephen

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #1342 on: July 26, 2019, 12:04:47 am »
    I will attempt to fit the T5 LEDs on Friday together with a water change and general clean up.
    I will see how I feel in the morning.
    All the best
    Stephen

Offline grommit

• Thank You
    • -Given: 106
    • -Receive: 4
    • Thanks for reading, Bri
    « Reply #1343 on: July 26, 2019, 07:23:10 am »
    Hallow m8,
    Lighting is a art I don't have...n fact using my brain it hard lol.
    Great to catch up on everyones tanks and goings one.
    Sometimes people get fixated with there own 'world'.
    Bri
    Aphasia (pronounced uh-fey-zhuh) is a condition caused by injury to the brain and affects a person’s ability to communicate. It is most often the result of stroke or traumatic brain injury. People with aphasia may have difficulty expressing themselves when speaking, difficulty understanding the speech of others, and difficulty reading and writing.

Starting off again after severe illness.
    Thank you.
    Brian

Offline Stephen

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #1344 on: July 26, 2019, 04:40:42 pm »
    I will attempt to fit the T5 LEDs on Friday together with a water change and general clean up.
    I will see how I feel in the morning.
    I done the water change, had a little clean up and thinned out the Echinodorus bleheri (Amazon swords).

Now the T5 LEDs are not working properly, the 2 x 22" have faded to about 20% whilst the longer 34" appear fine.
    I spoke with Aquarium Systems who say that the ballasts may be too powerful (a technical answer was given but too long to type here).
    I switched them off, waited 2 minutes and switched back on. They (22") faded again then came back on after a minute.
    Aquarium Systems suggested that I switch the units (I have two) and see how it goes as I may have the correct wattage in the other unit.
    I will give their suggestion a try.
    Meanwhile the 22" T5 LEDs have faded again, come back on and faded again … and come on again … (waiting) … (still waiting) … and faded again.
    All the best
    Stephen

Offline Stephen

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #1345 on: July 26, 2019, 07:12:59 pm »
    I have swapped the units around and all seems OK with the T5 LEDs.  *grin*

ps
    My back seems to be holding up.  *grin*
    All the best
    Stephen

Offline Stephen

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #1346 on: July 26, 2019, 07:24:40 pm »
    I spoke too soon  :( the 22inch T5 LEDs are fading again.  :mad:
    All the best
    Stephen

Offline Kwak Rider

• Thank You
    « Reply #1347 on: July 26, 2019, 08:02:39 pm »
    That's a shame, hate it when something that should be a "simple" job causes a lot of messing about.
    I would have thought that if the ballasts on the 22" are too powerful then you would think that the same issues would appear on the 34" as I would assume that both ballasts will be manufactured by the same company, strange that it's only on the 22" though.
    What are your thoughts, send them back and try another brand?

Glad your back is less painful.  thumbsup4

Offline Stephen

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #1348 on: July 26, 2019, 08:22:31 pm »
    According to Aquarium Systems a lot of these ballasts are made in the far east.
    Some are rated at 80W which is too much for the chip in the T5 LEDs, if they were less powerful (say 24W) then they would be fine.
    The chip appears to cope with the adjustment on the 34 inch (39W).

Aquarium Systems assured me that I will not be out of pocket, which is good.
    Just wondering how to change the ballasts.
    All the best
    Stephen

Offline Stephen

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #1349 on: July 27, 2019, 03:40:23 pm »
    I spoke too soon  :( the 22inch T5 LEDs are fading again.  :mad:

Today the T5 LEDs seem to be working fine. 3 hours and all is well.

I'm doing a little more tank maintenance.
    I'm just syphoning the sand as there is some bits on the surface from me thinning out the plants yesterday.
    I will then clean one of the filters, just doing what I can (and catching up) whilst my back is feeling a bit better.
    I have also two Eheim circulation pumps to add, maybe today or tomorrow and put them on timers.
    I may even place a new order with Aquarium Gardens for some plants for next week.
    All the best
    Stephen