• Total Topics: 70247
  • Online Today: 78
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 76
Total: 78

Author Topic: VC 240L beginner freshwater  (Read 10683 times)

Offline Stephen

• TFF Staff Retired
  • Superhero Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 147
  • -Receive: 2052
Re: VC 240L beginner freshwater
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2019, 11:34:50 am »
I’ll keep testing the water and see how it is after the big water change post cycle.

It’s definitely in full force though. I’m topping up every other day. Just waiting for nitrites to start dropping.
Sounds promising  thumbsup3
Look after your fish and the water, do regular water changes & maintenance, do your research and the hobby will be rewarding.
All the best
Stephen

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline VC

• Thank You
    • -Given: 92
    • -Receive: 27
    « Reply #61 on: February 10, 2019, 11:37:02 am »
    Stephen do you think Bolivian rams would be suitable for my beginner tank? I am going to add more plants and hardscape so it’s less bare on the bottom!
    Beginner. Fluval Roma 240 with Fluval 306 external filter, 300w heater and LED light unit (included with tank). Added Eheim air pump 400.

Water: 1.68 dGh

2 Bolivian Rams
    19 Harlequin Rasboras
    15 Rummynose Tetras
    10 Panda Corydoras
    3 Amino shrimp
    Mild algae

Offline Stephen

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #62 on: February 10, 2019, 01:02:31 pm »
    Stephen do you think Bolivian rams would be suitable for my beginner tank? I am going to add more plants and hardscape so it’s less bare on the bottom!
    I think they would look great, they grow to a little over 3 inches and perfectly fine at anything from 23-26C (long-term). They'll love your soft water.
    Look after your fish and the water, do regular water changes & maintenance, do your research and the hobby will be rewarding.
    All the best
    Stephen

Offline VC

• Thank You
    « Reply #63 on: February 10, 2019, 07:38:01 pm »
    Just done my weekly plant pruning / maintenance. How do people do this without putting their arms in the tank!?

Obviously I wash my hands before but don’t see how it’s possible to not put hands in.

Last week thought the vallisneria was on its way out (especially since the water has become more acidic) but just looked and one plant in the corner has sprouted a couple of new shoots! The crypts are looking more healthy too thankfully!

On the java fern there were a few leaves covered in this:

659780-0

Is this some sort of algae or has some of the Java moss gotten brown and somehow attached to the leaves?
    Beginner. Fluval Roma 240 with Fluval 306 external filter, 300w heater and LED light unit (included with tank). Added Eheim air pump 400.

2 Bolivian Rams
    19 Harlequin Rasboras
    15 Rummynose Tetras
    10 Panda Corydoras
    3 Amino shrimp
    Mild algae

Offline Gingerlove05

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 1755
    • -Receive: 2172
    « Reply #64 on: February 10, 2019, 09:24:27 pm »
    No idea, i always have my hands in the tank when doing maintenance.
    How are you washing your hands? I dont use soap when washing my hands immediately before going into the tanks, just a lot of hot (as hot as i can take it ;)) water and i either use kitchen towel or my tank towel to dry them, so i dont drip [as much] water everywhere  *grin*
    The roots on the java fern are signs of it spawning, if you leave them you will end up with a new plants growing off the leaves, once they’re big enough you can just snip them off and attach them and they’ll grow :)

Offline VC

• Thank You
    « Reply #65 on: February 10, 2019, 09:27:52 pm »
    Top tips as always, thank you Gingerlove05!

2 Bolivian Rams
    19 Harlequin Rasboras
    15 Rummynose Tetras
    10 Panda Corydoras
    3 Amino shrimp
    Mild algae

Offline Stephen

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #66 on: February 10, 2019, 11:25:26 pm »
    I too generally get my hands wet.
    I usually do any plant trimming during a water change when the water level is much lower.
    I either pick out the trimmings or use a net to scoop them out (or both).
    As GL also states, I never use detergents when washing my hands before putting them in to the aquarium.
    You can use long aquascaper's scissors if that's easier but I like to get my hands wet. I always put on a short-sleeve T-shirt so not to get any sleeves wet.  *grin*
    All the best
    Stephen

Offline _pjn312_

• Thank You
    • -Given: 53
    • -Receive: 350
    « Reply #67 on: February 11, 2019, 05:39:16 pm »
    As above - nothing wrong with getting a bit wet, plus my fish will rub around my fingers which is quite nice!

Offline Gingerlove05

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #68 on: February 11, 2019, 05:51:06 pm »
    Lucky you! Jayne occasionally tries to eat mine!  roflmao

Offline VC

• Thank You
    « Reply #69 on: February 11, 2019, 08:26:26 pm »
    Thanks for reassurance! I’d just read that hands shouldn’t keep going in the tank and was worried I’d messed up before I’d even started!

Which fish is Jayne?

2 Bolivian Rams
    19 Harlequin Rasboras
    15 Rummynose Tetras
    10 Panda Corydoras
    3 Amino shrimp
    Mild algae

Offline _pjn312_

• Thank You
    • -Given: 53
    • -Receive: 350
    « Reply #70 on: February 11, 2019, 08:37:46 pm »
    Oh no, Jayne is Iain's OH.....  *grin* *grin*

Offline Gingerlove05

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #71 on: February 11, 2019, 09:26:28 pm »
    I wont tell my OH you said that PJN, she will find you and kill you  roflmao
    This is Jayne:
    659808-0

He’s an apistogramma cacatuoide, and a moody git at the best of times  *grin*

Offline VC

• Thank You
    « Reply #72 on: February 12, 2019, 04:26:44 pm »
     roflmao

What a handsome fish!

2 Bolivian Rams
    19 Harlequin Rasboras
    15 Rummynose Tetras
    10 Panda Corydoras
    3 Amino shrimp
    Mild algae

Offline VC

• Thank You
    « Reply #73 on: February 12, 2019, 06:47:29 pm »
    You have very soft water in Manchester (lucky you) but it is low in carbonates & bicarbonates.
    If your pH has dropped then it is more than likely that your KH (carbonate hardness) has dropped, I would add some potassium bicarbonate otherwise the fishless cycle may stall (the beneficial bacteria love using up the carbonates & bicarbonates).

Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) can be used instead but the sodium has no real use in an aquarium whilst the potassium (potassium bicarbonate) will be taken up by the plants.
    How much bicarbonate? 7ml of either bicarbonate will raise the KH level by one in a 240L aquarium.
    Dissolve the bicarbonate with tank water before adding to the tank.
    Keep an eye on the pH as this will give an indication of your KH level, try to keep the pH slightly above pH7.0 during the cycle.
    As a temporary measure you could do a 50% water change and then top up the ammonia to 2ppm, this will replenish some of the bicarbonates.

All the best

Just tested water and it’s gone very acidic (pale yellow on API pH test). I have bicarbonate of soda in my cupboard but powder form, so when you say 7ml how much is that in grams? Or is my understanding completely off?

Otherwise I can do a water change tomorrow (as I’ll need to prepare the water tonight).

2 Bolivian Rams
    19 Harlequin Rasboras
    15 Rummynose Tetras
    10 Panda Corydoras
    3 Amino shrimp
    Mild algae

Offline Stephen

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #74 on: February 14, 2019, 01:36:05 pm »
    You have very soft water in Manchester (lucky you) but it is low in carbonates & bicarbonates.
    If your pH has dropped then it is more than likely that your KH (carbonate hardness) has dropped, I would add some potassium bicarbonate otherwise the fishless cycle may stall (the beneficial bacteria love using up the carbonates & bicarbonates).

Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) can be used instead but the sodium has no real use in an aquarium whilst the potassium (potassium bicarbonate) will be taken up by the plants.
    How much bicarbonate? 7ml of either bicarbonate will raise the KH level by one in a 240L aquarium.
    Dissolve the bicarbonate with tank water before adding to the tank.
    Keep an eye on the pH as this will give an indication of your KH level, try to keep the pH slightly above pH7.0 during the cycle.
    As a temporary measure you could do a 50% water change and then top up the ammonia to 2ppm, this will replenish some of the bicarbonates.

All the best

Just tested water and it’s gone very acidic (pale yellow on API pH test). I have bicarbonate of soda in my cupboard but powder form, so when you say 7ml how much is that in grams? Or is my understanding completely off?

Otherwise I can do a water change tomorrow (as I’ll need to prepare the water tonight).
    5ml is a teaspoon so 7ml is just a bit more. ;)
    All the best
    Stephen