• Total Topics: 70296
  • Online Today: 62
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 88
Total: 88

Author Topic: VC 240L beginner freshwater  (Read 29879 times)

Offline Stephen

• TFF Staff Retired
  • Superhero Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 147
  • -Receive: 2052
Re: VC 240L beginner freshwater
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2019, 12:51:51 am »

If you could only choose one of those cichlids Stephen which would it be? Which has the best personality and best to watch?
I apologise for the delay in replying.

All those cichlids are lovely and in different ways.
If you want to observe some spawning then maybe the Keyhole cichlids, as long as there is a flattish stone for them to clean and lay eggs on.

Hello all!

Exciting / nerve-wracking day! My plants arrived (thanks Aquarium Gardens):

659424-0

The plants look good and healthy as always from Aquarium Gardens.
Look after your fish and the water, do regular water changes & maintenance, do your research and the hobby will be rewarding.
All the best
Stephen

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline VC

• Thank You
    • -Given: 92
    • -Receive: 27
    « Reply #31 on: January 21, 2019, 08:20:53 pm »
    I’ve tested my tap water to get familiar with the test kit. Is this used as a baseline or the water in the aquarium (to which there are live plants, substrate, hardscspe, seachem prime, seachem flourish and easylife easy carbo)?

Will the above affect the water parameters?

The results of tap water are as follows:

659444-0

Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate = 0ppm

The pH I found a little more difficult (it’s likely I’m overthinking things):

659448-1

6.6!? My other half said 7. I’ve looked in different locations and can’t make mind up! Maybe go with 6.8!?

I intend to start the fishless cycle. I’ve used the calculator but just wanted to confirm: add required amount and test 24 hours later, right?

Thank you.
    Beginner. Fluval Roma 240 with Fluval 306 external filter, 300w heater and LED light unit (included with tank). Added Eheim air pump 400.

Water: 1.68 dGh

2 Bolivian Rams
    19 Harlequin Rasboras
    15 Rummynose Tetras
    10 Panda Corydoras
    3 Amino shrimp
    Mild algae

Offline Gingerlove05

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 1755
    • -Receive: 2172
    « Reply #32 on: January 21, 2019, 09:18:52 pm »
    Yep thats your baseline, and a good one too   *grin*
    The substrate might affect the ph as would any wood that is still leaching tanins (the substrate might raise or lower it depending on what it is, and tanins will lower the ph). The substrate might affect the hardness. But it shouldnt really interfere with the cycle and neither should anything else.
    To read the ph try looking down through the tube onto the card, it might guve you a better idea ;)
    As for starting the cycle, spot on  *grin*

Offline VC

• Thank You
    « Reply #33 on: January 21, 2019, 09:26:44 pm »
    Yep thats your baseline, and a good one too   *grin*
    The substrate might affect the ph as would any wood that is still leaching tanins (the substrate might raise or lower it depending on what it is, and tanins will lower the ph). The substrate might affect the hardness. But it shouldnt really interfere with the cycle and neither should anything else.
    To read the ph try looking down through the tube onto the card, it might guve you a better idea ;)
    As for starting the cycle, spot on  *grin*

Thank you so much for the reply, put my mind to rest! I’ll add ammonia tomorrow evening as it’s bedtime now!

Also I’ve fitted check valves on to my Eheim 200 air pump and tested them out. They’re really cool! Just need to figure out where I want the sprays.
    Beginner. Fluval Roma 240 with Fluval 306 external filter, 300w heater and LED light unit (included with tank). Added Eheim air pump 400.

2 Bolivian Rams
    19 Harlequin Rasboras
    15 Rummynose Tetras
    10 Panda Corydoras
    3 Amino shrimp
    Mild algae

Offline Gingerlove05

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #34 on: January 21, 2019, 10:11:17 pm »
    I have the 400  *grin* it runs the 2 ehiem “air stones” in my 180l and my hidden treasure chest bubbler in my 100l. They’re really quiet pumps :)

Offline VC

• Thank You
    « Reply #35 on: January 22, 2019, 08:34:28 pm »
    Ammonia added! I’m excited to start the cycle.

Also put in the air pumps (wish I did this before filling tank!)

659456-0

2 Bolivian Rams
    19 Harlequin Rasboras
    15 Rummynose Tetras
    10 Panda Corydoras
    3 Amino shrimp
    Mild algae

Offline VC

• Thank You
    « Reply #36 on: January 24, 2019, 09:36:31 pm »
    Already managed to break one of the API test tubes.  *oops*

2 Bolivian Rams
    19 Harlequin Rasboras
    15 Rummynose Tetras
    10 Panda Corydoras
    3 Amino shrimp
    Mild algae

Offline Gingerlove05

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #37 on: January 24, 2019, 10:19:20 pm »
    Lol dont worry i only have 2 left now  *grin*

Offline VC

• Thank You
    « Reply #38 on: January 25, 2019, 07:25:57 pm »
    Lol dont worry i only have 2 left now  *grin*

Thanks! I feel much better now!  *grin*

2 Bolivian Rams
    19 Harlequin Rasboras
    15 Rummynose Tetras
    10 Panda Corydoras
    3 Amino shrimp
    Mild algae

Offline VC

• Thank You
    « Reply #39 on: January 26, 2019, 11:24:50 am »
    Went to Pets@Home this morning (to take kitties to vets) and managed to get a quick look at the fish. I’m aware that they don’t have as good a reputation as they might like, but from what I saw the fish tanks were clean and I didn’t see any dead fish. However I also see how easy it would be for someone who hasn’t done their homework to buy something based on appearance. For example the shubunkins were next to fancy goldfish, and having a selection of different gourami without saying which ones were for beginners...etc.

Anyway I have underestimated how small some of these fish actually are! I liked the look of silver tip tetras, black neons and black phantoms. They had the rummy noses and lemons but understandably they were a bit washed out.

They also had lots of angel fish and sharks which looked cool (but won’t be going in my tank anytime soon!)

2 Bolivian Rams
    19 Harlequin Rasboras
    15 Rummynose Tetras
    10 Panda Corydoras
    3 Amino shrimp
    Mild algae

Offline Si4geckos

• Thank You
    • -Given: 79
    • -Receive: 113
    « Reply #40 on: January 26, 2019, 11:51:11 am »
    I usually have a look in PAH, then if there's any fish I like, I find somewhere else I trust better to get better examples and healthier fish from.

When you say they're small in the shop, they'll probably double in size at least depending on what you're getting. Maidenhead aquatics seem to have decent size/adult (ish) fish in a lot of their stores. Or if you go somewhere like Pier aquatics in Wigan, they seem to have the same fish at different ages. So you see a cute little 1.5 inch pleco in a tank, then a few tanks down there's an adult over a foot long! Good to see what you're getting yourself into.

Sometimes fish are washed out when they're young, but a lot of PAH stock will never colour up (low quality stock) from what I've seen. I always buy the best looking fish in a shop. They better look amazing in the shop, then I know they'll be super bright once settled in. Don't very afraid to be very picky about which fish you get. If the shop is decent they won't mind. Just my opinion...

Offline VC

• Thank You
    « Reply #41 on: January 26, 2019, 02:20:04 pm »
    I usually have a look in PAH, then if there's any fish I like, I find somewhere else I trust better to get better examples and healthier fish from.

When you say they're small in the shop, they'll probably double in size at least depending on what you're getting. Maidenhead aquatics seem to have decent size/adult (ish) fish in a lot of their stores. Or if you go somewhere like Pier aquatics in Wigan, they seem to have the same fish at different ages. So you see a cute little 1.5 inch pleco in a tank, then a few tanks down there's an adult over a foot long! Good to see what you're getting yourself into.

Sometimes fish are washed out when they're young, but a lot of PAH stock will never colour up (low quality stock) from what I've seen. I always buy the best looking fish in a shop. They better look amazing in the shop, then I know they'll be super bright once settled in. Don't very afraid to be very picky about which fish you get. If the shop is decent they won't mind. Just my opinion...

Good advice! I was planning on doing just that - looking at the types I like and then getting them somewhere more reputable.

And I agree about knowing potential sizes. They had lots of red tailed sharks in one tank which to anyone who didn’t know of them, probably look like cute little fish!

I know tetras are small (from reading about them) but actuallly seeing them was a different story! I am definitely going to get a large school. Think I have the room for at least 20?

2 Bolivian Rams
    19 Harlequin Rasboras
    15 Rummynose Tetras
    10 Panda Corydoras
    3 Amino shrimp
    Mild algae

Offline Gingerlove05

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #42 on: January 26, 2019, 05:02:47 pm »
    As Si mentioned just remember any fish you see in store will likely be young so they will grow, so do your research on any species you might like ;)
    Some fish maybe small but they can swim very fast, and if they dont have the room to exert some of this energy they can become stressed because of lack of room. Larger scools do help with tetras as they are a shoaling species :)

Offline VC

• Thank You
    « Reply #43 on: February 01, 2019, 06:25:45 pm »
    Still in high ammonia phase. Just wondering if adding more hardscape / plants will affect cycle? Thank you.

2 Bolivian Rams
    19 Harlequin Rasboras
    15 Rummynose Tetras
    10 Panda Corydoras
    3 Amino shrimp
    Mild algae

Offline Gingerlove05

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #44 on: February 01, 2019, 06:47:26 pm »
    No it shouldnt affect the cycle. If yor adding any rocks you can always check to see if they will leech anything by dropping a bit of vinegar on them and seeing if they fizz.
    The plants might take up some of the ammonia but it shouldnt stop the bacteria colonising (you would need a huge amount of plants for that i believe).