• Total Topics: 70243
  • Online Today: 81
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 52
Total: 52

Author Topic: Lost my first baby BN :( Any thoughts on what happened?  (Read 711 times)

Offline wildcherry

• Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 17
Lost my first baby BN :( Any thoughts on what happened?
« on: December 30, 2018, 10:20:33 pm »
Hi all,

Hope everyone is well and had a nice Christmas.

Posting with the sad news that we lost our baby super red ancistrus, 'Muncher', a week ago. Still sad, was really attached to that wee guy!

I'm wondering if anyone might be able to shed some light on what could have happened to him, I really want to know if we went wrong somewhere before even thinking about getting another.

We had him about 3 months and got him from the same great LFS we've got our other fish. Not sure of age but was only wee at 2.5 - 3cm long (excluding tail).

He started off full of energy, constantly grazing and naming himself in the process! We have a LOT of algae in the tank (that will make another post...) which he enjoyed to much and we gave him a slice of veg (cucumber, broccoli, carrot, pepper) for 24hrs 1-2 time a week. Tried algae flakes after lights out but pretty sure the other fish got them first!

For the past several weeks he seemed less active and was hiding more, but I put that down to him 'becoming nocturnal' as up until then he was always about and about when the lights were on. In the week before we lost him, he was harder and harder to find. One of the last times I saw him out it looked like one of his eyes (the only one I could see) looked white - it was a difficult angle and I thought maybe it was the light reflecting on him, but when I think back now maybe it was a symptom of something coming on. The following days, he didn't come out for his veggies and after two days of not seeing him at all, the day of our water change and before we were leaving the fish for 5 days, I went on a search around the tank for him and found him in one of his regular hiding places :(

Tested the water straight away, readings were:

Temp: 25.4
pH: 7.2
Ammonia: 0.25ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm

After 25% PWC, readings were:

Temp: 25.6
pH: 7.0
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
GH: <3
KH: 0-3

The tank water never really deviates from the above, I do 25% PWC every week.

Everyone else in the tank is doing great (cardinals included).

I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to manage a cyano problem for months now and I'm a bit concerned maybe Muncher's been munching on it - might that have done him some harm? I had seen him with cyano-coloured poop once or twice.

Other than that the only thing I can think of is maybe my having water so low in hardness was detrimental to him - do they need hardness to sustain their bony plates? Although surely people keep them successfully in water similar to mine.

All thoughts and opinions very welcome, really want to learn from what happened to the poor wee dude.

Attached are some pics to show current cyano levels a week after my best efforts to remove it.

Best wishes,

Cherry 

Juwel Lido 200L

9 Cherry Barbs
8 Diamond Tetras
11 Cardinal Tetras
1 Longfin Bristlenose Pleco

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 162
    • -Receive: 6657
    • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
    Re: Lost my first baby BN :( Any thoughts on what happened?
    « Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 08:42:26 am »
    Sorry to hear about the BN :(
    Your water is fine for them.
    For the cyano problem, you need a good flow all around the tank.
    Get rid of it by hand at first and then play with the water flow until it stops forming.
    Hydrogen peroxide (3% or 6%) spot-dosed onto it will kill it.
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
    I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
    Ian

Offline wildcherry

• Thank You
    « Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 12:54:34 pm »
    Thank you, plankton. Think it's the cyano that got him? :(

Have ordered some hydrogen peroxide and will continue to play with the flow until hopefully I'm on top of it. No more BNs until then.

Thanks for your help

Cherry
    Juwel Lido 200L

9 Cherry Barbs
    8 Diamond Tetras
    11 Cardinal Tetras

Offline Misty

• Thank You
    • -Given: 57
    • -Receive: 63
    « Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 01:19:41 pm »
    Sorry to hear about your loss Cherry... I think fish have their personalities too (the larger ones at least) and we do get attached to them...

What I know about water hardness is that higher KH seems to keep the pH stable (I think above 3 or 4). Could you have possibly had a pH crash or a significant fluctuation in pH? Though if other fish were unaffected that prob wasn't the case...

Also, maybe it was some sort of internal infection (which does not always have visible symptoms)?

Offline Gingerlove05

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 1755
    • -Receive: 2172
    « Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 05:07:12 pm »
    Sorry for your loss Cherry :(
    Nothing stands out to me that could be wrong either way, although the eye thing does sound like an infection or injury of some sort whcih could have caused something else to overwhelm him :( unfortunately there’s no real certain way of finding out

Offline plankton

• TFF Staff Retired
    • Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 162
    • -Receive: 6657
    • I will say this only once, OK a million times....
    « Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 09:57:48 am »
    *agree* It'll be "one of those things" I'm afraid.
    Sent from my PC as I still don't understand the the logic for mobile internet usage ;) *grin*
    I really hate "autocorrupt"!!!

"We found this spoon sir"

Take it easy
    Ian

Offline wildcherry

• Thank You
    « Reply #6 on: January 06, 2019, 12:17:09 pm »
    Thanks everybody, you're right. Welcome to fishkeeping I guess.

Misty - you're right! Amazing how quickly them become pets to you. Means we're in the hobby for the right reasons I guess :) Hope your fish are doing ok? Thank you - the pH seems to have been constant with weekly PWCs so think it's been ok (our sensitive wee cardinals are very happy anyway - caught them spawning the other night!)

Thanks Gingerlove05 - unfortunate I didn't get a better/second look at him to see his eye properly.

As you and plankton say, 'one of those things'. Thanks for making me feel better in knowing there's nothing we did wrong :)

Cherry

Juwel Lido 200L

9 Cherry Barbs
    8 Diamond Tetras
    11 Cardinal Tetras