• Total Topics: 70296
  • Online Today: 62
  • Online Ever: 874
  • (January 15, 2020, 07:42:34 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 58
Total: 58

Author Topic: Bolivian & German Blue Ram Comparison  (Read 1088 times)

Offline B-ri86

• Est. Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 29
Bolivian & German Blue Ram Comparison
« on: January 24, 2019, 07:59:01 pm »
Hi all,

I'm looking to generate some discussion on Rams and people's experience of them.

I've mainly kept Bolivians in my time who are interesting characters and fun to watch, although I've heard they are much more interesting in a group of 6 or more anybody done this before?

Has anybody ever kept German Blue Rams in a community tank? I know they like it hotter than most but wondered what they're like in a group or are they more of a fish for keeping in pairs.

Also does anybody have a good size comparison of the two types? I know the Bolivians are bigger but is there much in it?

Thanks

Brian

TropicalFishForums

• Advertisement

Offline Gingerlove05

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 1755
    • -Receive: 2172
    Re: Bolivian & German Blue Ram Comparison
    « Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 08:14:29 pm »
    Suelo has a group of bolivians in her tank. I kept blue rams for a short period but they didnt last probably mostly due to our hardness being too hard for them. I think bolivians are a little more forgiving. But i believe blue rams are best kept as pairs.
    The size difference is a fair amount for small fish, blues get to 35-40mm whereas bolivians get to 70-80mm so roughly twice the size :)
    Beautiful fish either way, especially when well coloured  *grin*

Offline B-ri86

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 08:36:32 pm »
    Thank you I know the blue rams can be a bit more hit or miss. Had some electric blues in the past but seen some pretty targeted aggression and bullying in the time I had them.

Thanks for that bit about the size, the German blues are prettier, although I don't think there's much in it. The size difference is important I think with the Bolivians bring a bit bigger they add a bit more character.

Offline Gingerlove05

• Superhero Member
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 1755
    • -Receive: 2172
    « Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 09:01:00 pm »
    Yeah the electric blues are more sensitive than the blues as they are bred for the colour. I think the blues are a bit more territorial and if they decide they dont like something they wont tolerate it (they are cichlids;))

Offline B-ri86

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 06:40:24 am »
    I think in a soft water setup Bolivians are probably my best bet for a 'centrepiece fish' as people like to say on here. Just with the would grow a bit bigger. Have seen XXL electric blues in shops but with their unpredictable temper and need for warmer water I don't think they'd be worth changing my setup for.

Offline B-ri86

• Est. Member
    • Thank You
    « Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 06:58:23 pm »
    Was In my local Maidenhead aquatics today and they had 5 honey gourami left, really had to resist the urge to take them think my tank would start to get a bit overcrowded.